NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Wondering why...T206 Shag Shaughnessy

Not wondering why this card sells for so much...I am wondering why it sells for 3x the price guide(s) value with out fail. I mean - the price of this card hasn't gone anywhere for a couple years, yet it sells for so much more. What is it really worth or why don't the guides reflect the actual value in the least? Seems like a big difference. Makes no sense to me.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:30 PM

Other T206s have price activity, but this one doesn't, yet...
Old 02-08-2010, 02:59 PM

People say its the pose. I've seen plenty of great poses on baseball cards that sell for nothing and plenty of good players with horrible poses on cards that sell for hundreds and thousands. Makes no sense to me either. At this point I think its just a trader novelty meme that has been drummed up and furthered by collectors who think its fun to get one.

Last edited by packs; 02-08-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Frank Shaughnessy

Simple reason for the relative scarcity and higher price than most of the 47 other Southern Leaguers......the law of "supply vs demand".

Frank Shaughnessy was a Notre Dame graduate and while there played BB and FB. Had very briefly careers with Washington and the A's.
He went on to be GM of the Montreal Royals and followed that up by being President of the International League.

Furthermore, coached FB at Yale Cornell, etc. Alternated coaching FB at McGill (Montreal) while GM with the Royals. Frank is in Canada’s
BB Hall of Fame and FB Hall of Fame.

So, he has quite a following.

TED Z
Old 02-08-2010, 03:13 PM

Do you really think thats why though? I've seen plenty of collectors at shows asking dealers for the card because they heard its hard to get. I never heard anyone mention they sought the card because of his ties to Notre Dame or football. It seems to me that the card only took off in recent years when everyone on the board wanted one, and more than just the one necessary to complete the set.

Last edited by packs; 02-08-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I have been collecting T206's for 30 years and Shaughnessy has been a tough card to find for many, many years.
He was a very well liked guy by many whose lives he touched. And, this T206 card is essentially the only BB card
that is available. His other cards, whatever few there are, are not that available.

TED Z
Old 02-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by green rhino123 View Post
Not wondering why this card sells for so much...I am wondering why it sells for 3x the price guide(s) value with out fail. I mean - the price of this card hasn't gone anywhere for a couple years, yet it sells for so much more. What is it really worth or why don't the guides reflect the actual value in the least? Seems like a big difference. Makes no sense to me.
I don't know what price guide you are using, but most price guides are inaccurate for pre-war cards. They may do a decent job for most cards in popular issues, but for tougher commons or tough sets, you're better off seeing actual sales prices.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:28 PM

T206 Shaughnessy has been considered very tough and very popular for 30+ years as Ted states. See Ted, this is why you can have this board. You offer some educated points and you get argued with. Amazing.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey Dan McKee

You're absolutely correct....but, do I look worried ?

I still have that same smile as my above picture from 34 years ago.

Best regards ole buddy,

TED Z
Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 PM

I'm in the "don't believe the hype" camp. I've seen everything from Sid Smith and Juan Viola(t) selling at ten times book, to the next month selling at book, almost unprecented for rare SLer. Some of the recent asking prices of Shags have been ridiculous. A choice few will overpay and then the market will settle -- much like the housing market. It may be 10 years before another Shag PSA 5 sells for $800. I'd bank on $400 happening first.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Frank Wakefield

I thought Shag had been discussed before, here....

My thinking was that Shag was so involved in sports for years after his playing days, that it created a demand for his card that got the card out of the hands of normal collectors and more into the mainstream public. Once that happens, it becomes more likely that the cards disappear. Ted Z does a good job of describing Shag's sports involvement.

It would be like the cards of football player Michael Oher, who's story is portrayed in The Blind Side. Some folks will buy that card and it will be their only football card. Some will give it to a kid they took to the movie. 50 years from now the Oher cards that were in collections will probably still be there, with the other cards. But the Oher cards that went into the hands of the mainstream public, those cards will get lost in a junk drawer, stuffed in a box, or one day thrown into the trash.

So I think that in the 20s, 30s, and 40s some folks wanted a Shag card who weren't interested in any of the other Southern Leagers.... and some of those cards have gone missing.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 PM

Using that same argument, can't you say that more Shag cards have survived because of his interest post-baseball? And they've been taken care of better by owners? There are a whole bunch in excellent or better condition, so I wouldn't mind biding my time to get one if I was interested...