NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Mike Schulze

Default Why Are Cards Deemed Trimmed??

I'm new to collecting 206's so this may be a stupid question... but it appears that a lot of cards I see on Ebay and other sites are deemed "trimmed". Was this due to printing errors at the factory or was this a common practice amongst card holders? I don't know why anyone would deliberately trim a card unless there is a good reason that I'm just too stupid to pick up on! I can see someone trying to "center" a card by trimming an edge or two, but the cards that I see trimmed are typically way off center. Please explain so that I can quit pulling my hair out!! Thanks guys, -Mike
Old 09-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdschulze View Post
I don't know why anyone would deliberately trim a card unless there is a good reason that I'm just too stupid to pick up on!
Cards that are in NM condition sell for more then cards in VG-EX.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Mike Schulze

In other words, people are trying to straighten out rounded corners. Makes sense, but I didn't think the reputable graders would grade trimmed cards. Personally, I would rather have a graded VG card than an "appears to be" EX card... just my opinion. Thanks for the post Matt!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
I didn't think the reputable graders would grade trimmed cards.
1) Not all cards are sold graded.
2) Not all TPGs catch every trimmed card.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Mike Schulze

Gotcha! Thanks for the insight... I can retire tonight with a head full of hair.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Barry Arnold

Default trimmed

welcome aboard!!!
always glad to have a cautious and inquisitive collector on board.

best,
barry
Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Frank Wakefield

Welcome, Mike.

A good way to learn is to ask. And obviously, you have it now, some rascals trim on the edges of cards so that the card will look to be in better condition to an unknowing buyer.

Better to learn that here asking than the hard way.

FW
Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 PM

I noticed some T206s on ebay today which are graded PSA 5 which all appear very short to the naked eye. Same seller. Grading services are helpful but nothing beats experience, research and ye old eye test when it comes to our hobby.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Eric Bea.chley

and don't forget that not all trimming was done with nefarious intentions. In the old days you would just shave a little off to fit in a frame or holder.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Mike Schulze

All very good points! Now I have to ask... what affects a card's grading score more: rounded corners or one that's off center? In other words, from a collector's stance, would you prefer a card that is centered decently with rounded corners and hasn't been trimmed; or one that has sharp corners, trimmed slightly, but now the centering is a little off?

I have purchased several 206s from Ebay, both graded and not graded, and I surely want my cards to retain their value; however, the way you guys answer this question may effect the what I look at auction items in the future, especially on the non graded cards. Thanks for the insight guys!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not all short cards are trimmed, but in most cases if one is patient one can find a full size one so if in doubt, why not wait?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
All very good points! Now I have to ask... what affects a card's grading score more: rounded corners or one that's off center? In other words, from a collector's stance, would you prefer a card that is centered decently with rounded corners and hasn't been trimmed; or one that has sharp corners, trimmed slightly, but now the centering is a little off?

I have purchased several 206s from Ebay, both graded and not graded, and I surely want my cards to retain their value; however, the way you guys answer this question may effect the what I look at auction items in the future, especially on the non graded cards. Thanks for the insight guys!
For most collectors, with most sets, trimmed cards have greatly reduced value.