NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 PM
John

Default 1948 Leaf Nicknames

I've read up some on Steve Van Buren including a really good Kindle book on the 48 title game in the blizzard called "Give it to Steve" and it seems like he did have the nicknames: "Wham Bam" and "Supersonic Steve", but not "Big Boy". That seems completely made up.

The only nickname I found on George McAfee is "One Play" and since Gorgeous George was a wrestler, this one seems suspect to me as well.

Sammy Baugh, they got correct using "Slingin".

Has anyone else ever noticed this? Could someone working at Leaf who didn't know much about football have just made up some nicknames or were these legitimate nicknames that I never heard of?

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 01-03-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Jeff P

That's a great question! There are definitely others in the set that are legitimate nicknames like Clyde "Bulldog" Turner and Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice but some of them I've certainly never heard of.

jeff
Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 PM
John

Thanks Jeff. As a Van Buren fan, its taken me a while to get used to that card. Van Buren and Bednarik rookies were the first vintage cards I started searching for and I still don't have either nor any 48 Leaf or 48 Bowman. I recently saw an image of a really nice green jersey SVB (the Eagles did wear green after all) and its still on my want list, but just as I'm getting used to the black and white heads "pasted" on colored background, the nicknames started to bother me again.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:58 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Thanks Jeff. As a Van Buren fan, its taken me a while to get used to that card. Van Buren and Bednarik rookies were the first vintage cards I started searching for and I still don't have either nor any 48 Leaf or 48 Bowman. I recently saw an image of a really nice green jersey SVB (the Eagles did wear green after all) and its still on my want list, but just as I'm getting used to the black and white heads "pasted" on colored background, the nicknames started to bother me again.
If you decide to pick them up, the Leaf '48 of SVB is pretty obtainable but the Bednarik is a SP and a bear to find for a reasonable price.

jeff
Old 01-07-2014, 02:48 PM
John

The 48 Bednarik... - it was the first vintage auction I ever bid on - once it jumped over $600, I was pretty puzzled - then I realized PSA uses the Bednarik as the cover story for the set: http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...years-of-no-60

I gave up on the 48 Bednarik since I wasn't collecting the set - I think a PSA 4 sold for over $1000, but I can't remember. I settled on the 50 Bowman Bednarik, which is really nice - 50 Bowman reminds me of the 35 Chicles in terms of artistry.

For SVB, I've never seen one that looks as green as this image (I hope it is ok I post it - I don't know who owns the card - I just saved the image). When I see the green jersey variation, the jersey usually looks washed out. And I think the "blue" is the most common (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I also suspect the blue and yellow may not have been intended - I'm guessing they are cases where the green didn't come out right.... I'm sure others must have theories about all the variations, I'm just guessing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg van_buren.jpg (76.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Jeff P

It's not really the fact that PSA used the Bednarik as a cover story. ALL of the SP's are low POP and incredibly tough to find. The stars that are SP's are really expensive as well as being hard to find. Some of the SP commons are tough, tough, tough as well.

Wait till you try to get the Leo Nomellini in decent condition ;-)

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 01-07-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:40 PM
John

Jeff, you think 48 Leaf is tougher to put together than 35 Chicle? And which is more expensive in say mid-grade?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 AM
Jeff P

A good question. From a $$$ perspective, Chicle is more difficult mainly due to Nagurski. However, there are 49 SP's in the Leaf set and 3x as many cards in the set. From a POP report perspective, there are more Leaf's than Chicles out and available.

I would say Chicle is still more difficult due to the $$$ it takes to get the Nags and SP's plus much lower POPs on some of their cards but the size of the Leaf set and # of SP's still makes it a pretty significant challenge. Finding some Leaf's that are well centered is a big challenge as well.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 01-08-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:21 AM
John

Thanks Jeff.