NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default A few more pics

I had framed the next 4 previously. They were in cheap $5 Walmart wood frames of either a reddish brown or natural color. I took them out of the frames and painted them with black glossy spray paint. I also changed them from single mats to double mats.
Paige

Berra-Williams

Dimaggio

Hubbell

Diamggio Cronin

All Star pic

The next three frames were purchased as is at Ollie's Outlet for $30 each. No matting work needed. The first 2 pics are the original. The third original was a little too small, so I scanned it and made the print a little bigger.

Koufax wire photo

16x20 Ny Rangers Greats. Pic taken at Leetch's number retirement ceremony.

11x14 Sporting news original cover that was glued to backing board years ago and then signed by Dimaggio and Williams.

The last two are 2 of my favs. These were the flyers from 2 of the shows my father and his partner ran in the mid 80's. I got them signed. Gwynn was one of the nicest human beings I have had the pleasure to meet. He told us at the time that this was his first show appearance! Check out the auto prices!

My dad has since passed and these remind me of the great times we had together. Please no calling my mom's phone number.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 01-24-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's some really nice work. I especially like the way you treated the Gehrigs, with the silver inner fillet. Very attractive, and looks professional.

One further suggestion... If you don't want to apply tape directly to the piece, you can slip the photo into a protective mylar sleeve, and tape the mylar (rather than the piece itself) to the mat.

This has worked well for me with several items. Great thread!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've mostly done my own framing for a long time. Ever since a framing shop wrecked a poster while dry mounting it

This is a group of items from a cyclist who was the uruguayan national champion in a particular race in the 1920's. Poster, photo, racing license and a few medals. I use acid free photo corners to hold the paper items to the back mat and than layers of mat to make enough room for the medals. Those are hung from the very back layer by fishing line sewn through the mat.

Assemble it yourself frame kit to get the custom size, and UV blocking coated glass. The Glass was the most expensive part $25 .

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 05-12-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Belltown Vintage

I really like the way you used the navy blue matting to set off the black and white Gehrig photos - huge improvement.

Great information in this thread - thanks to all for sharing.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:13 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Wow Mark, your room is EXACTLY the same as the one I did about 20 years ago in my last house. These are some pictures of when I first got it done. It ended up with a lot more stuff on the walls. But the layout is exactly like yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room.jpg (65.1 KB, 825 views)
File Type: jpg room2.jpg (34.0 KB, 827 views)
File Type: jpg room3.jpg (29.6 KB, 824 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 05-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Wow Mark, your room is EXACTLY the same as the one I did about 20 years ago in my last house. These are some pictures of when I first got it done. It ended up with a lot more stuff on the walls. But the layout is exactly like yours.
Nice room Randall! Question for you (or anyone else with experience). How do you get Pennants to hang on a ceiling? I'm totally out of room in my smaller sports room but have a bunch more pennants i'd like to display.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

Randall, I can't stand this. I've been accumulating 'man room' (with pool table) stuff for years, but no house yet. At one point I even had an antique cue rack and examples of almost every 4-veneered Brunswick cue ever made, all ready to play. My gf is looking for a house and has agreed to let me have a room to be used however I want, so there will be a happy ending someday.

Great job with that room!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashousegang_1 View Post
Nice room Randall! Question for you (or anyone else with experience). How do you get Pennants to hang on a ceiling? I'm totally out of room in my smaller sports room but have a bunch more pennants i'd like to display.
Hi, it was one of those acoustic ceiling tiled ceilings. I just tacked them up there. A few were in those plastic pennant holders (flimsy kind) and I tacked the holder. Most were cheap, newer pennants and originally I did it to hide the blue chalk marks from mis-handled cues. The ceiling was kind of low as it was in the basement. Originally the wall was inside of the support pole but I wanted a regulation pool table so I moved it out further.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 03-17-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Randall, I forgot to mention that your Aaron Hill is outstanding. Very well done. Do you have any others that you've done that you can share?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I've mostly done my own framing for a long time. Ever since a framing shop wrecked a poster while dry mounting it

This is a group of items from a cyclist who was the uruguayan national champion in a particular race in the 1920's. Poster, photo, racing license and a few medals. I use acid free photo corners to hold the paper items to the back mat and than layers of mat to make enough room for the medals. Those are hung from the very back layer by fishing line sewn through the mat.

Assemble it yourself frame kit to get the custom size, and UV blocking coated glass. The Glass was the most expensive part $25 .

Steve B

Steve, do you get your UV glass locally or do you get it over the internet? Seems like the price is going up here locally and I'm going to start looking to have it shipped. Any recommendations?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Steve, do you get your UV glass locally or do you get it over the internet? Seems like the price is going up here locally and I'm going to start looking to have it shipped. Any recommendations?
I bought it locally. I'm pretty sure that shop has closed. A small independent place that stocked the glass.

They did regular glass, some sort of special clearer glass, Uv blocking and museum glass that was both UV blocking and glare free. The only thing they didn't have was replacement vintge glass. (I've got a good stock of it myself, but I'm not all that experienced with cutting it. I've heard the old wavy stuff is brittle)

I need to look for another place, Michaels can be "difficult" if you want to do your own with anything but stock mats. I think it depends on the manager. One will be hard to buy matboard from, another easier and they'll sell the cutouts from their own projects at a bargain price.

I've done a few things, including a couple mats for gifts that had cutout designs. Silver faced mat with a black core can work out really well.

Steve b
Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thanks Steve. I agree about Michaels...hit and miss most of the time. I will get frames from them when they're on sale but that's about it. My frame shop that gives me such great deals on the matting doesn't have as good a price on glass for whatever reason.