NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Why prewar IMO will always be a better investment

Heritage Sports‏ @Heritage_Sport · 50s50 seconds ago

Today we received another incredible raw 1950s card collection. Over 1200 cards, untouched since the 50s and in amazing condition. They should realize hundreds of thousands of dollars. On their way to @PSAcard now to be graded.

Imagine how many rookie Trouts, Michael Jordans, and shiny things of all stripes and colors are still sitting out there in boxes and binders ungraded.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-13-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 AM
David Peck

If this keeps up it certainly could be an issue for prices going forward.

Both of these Mantle’s have excellent centering too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76018B4B-2103-49E0-852E-B8464FCDB345.jpg (9.6 KB, 525 views)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Glyn Parson

Default It’s assumed

Most people assume there are numerous collections sitting out there. People that don’t think so are foolish. For the record there are prewar finds yet to be made as well see the fairly recent sky dash, black swamp, and Cobb back finds for just a few examples. I don’t expect nor does any reasonable person that the population on a post war card like the dice game mantle is ever going to be exceedingly high. So it’s rough to make a blanket this era is better than that era statement. Blue chip players, I feel , are the best wether modern, 50s, or prewar.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Sure there will be more "pre-war" finds. Many of them embellished with the usual dramatic tales of bogus grade A horse crap. But I think most Americans in the 20s, 30s, and 40s had more pressing and immediate needs than worrying about preserving baseball cards for some future generation. The depression. World Wars. My grand parents were likely far more concerned with hoarding apples and powdered oatmeal than baseball cards.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-13-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Scott Russell

Just looked at a 50's "Find" today. there are hundreds of these finds out there and they will show up more and more frequently as that generation passes on or moves to retirement homes etc...

By find I am talking one owner new to market cards. No emphasis on size or quality. I have bought one of these already and the one I looked at today was a little bigger than that first one. Avg condition EX on both.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't really believe that anyone can make a qualitative statement about what cards will be the best investment. It is all relative: how cheap you get in is probably the best predictor of how you make out, regardless of what cards are involved. One of the best deals I ever made was for two shoeboxes of 1950s-1960s cards. The condition was all over the place but mostly vg-ex, but I got in at such a nice price point that it was a great deal.

Collecting history is filled with stories of people who've thought they could predict what would be worth what in a decade and who've gotten it wrong. Look at postwar mainstream higher condition graded commons (6-7-8). I remember some rather vocal members here with a fortune in PSA postwar mainstream card sets. Whoops... Try selling a PSA 8 1950s non-high-# Joe Shlabotnick and you will see; if you bought it 12-15 years ago at market then you often can't even get your purchase price back. If you send common cards from that era in raw for grading, you pretty much have to pull a 9 or 10 to make any real money. The 8s are a break-even proposition and you will often lose money on the 6s and 7s that were a decent selling item a decade ago.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-13-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't think there is any doubt that the 1950s through 1970s Topps commons are becoming even more common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Just looked at a 50's "Find" today. there are hundreds of these finds out there and they will show up more and more frequently as that generation passes on or moves to retirement homes etc...

By find I am talking one owner new to market cards. No emphasis on size or quality. I have bought one of these already and the one I looked at today was a little bigger than that first one. Avg condition EX on both.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

In the early registry days certain guys were paying insane prices for 8s and 9s on commons that were low pop only because they were hard to find centered. But it was stupid because it was inevitable that over time the pops would go up as more were submitted, PSA gave 8s on borderline centered cards that had been 7s, (probably) cards were shaved slightly to improve their centering, etc.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:53 AM

Wonder what ever happened to Jim Crandall and his quest for however many it was PSA 8 graded sets? I assume his investments in all those PSA 8 commons back then has taken a hit.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In the early registry days certain guys were paying insane prices for 8s and 9s on commons that were low pop only because they were hard to find centered. But it was stupid because it was inevitable that over time the pops would go up as more were submitted, PSA gave 8s on borderline centered cards that had been 7s, (probably) cards were shaved slightly to improve their centering, etc.
How many of those 8s and 9s would be 6s or 7s today?Guys spent big dollars on cards that have not only gone down, but cards that people won't buy because they are overgraded. I see that all the time when looking a t205s. Cards in old holders with 7, 6 or 5 attached and I just pass because they are expecting two, three or even more times what the card is really worth in today's market. With patience an accurately graded card comes along at a reasonable price.

It wasn't that long ago that there was a thread on here about a t206 set being broken and auctioned. Most of the high dollar cards, starting with the Wagner, were in older holders and people here pointed them out as being overgraded. When the auction ended, the sales prices were much lower than others of the same grade had recently sold for.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:06 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't think there is any doubt that the 1950s through 1970s Topps commons are becoming even more common.
I unloaded the last of my postwar a few months ago. Without doubt the supply of that stuff seems to be going up. 50's/60's Topps have become as ubiquitous at '89 Donruss, IMO.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Al Richter

Adam---one can never have too many Joe Shlabotnick cards

Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Adam---one can never have too many Joe Shlabotnick cards

Looks like Gregory Polanco on an almost nightly basis...
Old 06-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Paul

The definition of "FIND" is worth considering. Ever flip through an auction catalog from the 1990s or early 2000s? There is some amazing pre-war stuff out there in private collections that has been socked away.

Jeff Morey sold his signed pre-war card collection at Mastro Auctions in 2001. About 32 signed T & E cards that haven't seen the light of day since. I can't wait until the owner (or his/her heirs) divest that collection!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Kyle May

I find this debate to be VERY interesting because it isn't just a supply/demand issue. It's an outreach issue as well. Am I correct in assuming a reason for the sudden availability for Post War cards is the news of popularity in Post War has reached the right people with a collection of Post War in their attic that they either had passed on to them or collected and don't really care about anymore?

I wonder the amount of people like that, that exist on the Pre War side.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, we are in the right age range now for people who collected cards as kids in the 1940s-1950s to start downsizing...whether they do so voluntarily or by attrition and estate liquidation.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...