NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-11-2016, 04:25 PM
James Head

Default Shea Stadium Bleacher Bench

Still considering this a work in progress....
The bleacher is from Shea Stadium that I picked up at a card show in NY.
Picked up the legs online....
The bats are MLB game used and it turns out that bats are much harder to cut than I anticipated.

Not in love with it and not sure where I am going with it from here....any suggestions or examples would be cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161106_152417.jpg (71.8 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 20161111_155457.jpg (75.5 KB, 248 views)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

James - I grew up a Met fan and went to 100s of games. Shea didn't have a bleacher section. Where exactly did these come from? There was a picnic area in the last few years but those were picnic tables I believe. I have actual seats from Shea and they look nothing like these.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Jon Canfield

Steve-

Shea definitely had bleacher seating in the late 2000s over in the picnic area.

- Jon

Old 11-11-2016, 11:38 PM
James Head

I picked it up at the Long Island show that was the weekend before the National this year for $30. I believe that Shea Stadium items were pretty much all he had for sale as well. There are 2 hologram stickers from MLB on it as well for whatever those are worth.

That’s a good catch though and I haven’t been able to find what year it was that the bleachers were put in Shea.

I am a big fan of stadium seats but a lot of the ones I see don’t get much use. My goal with this bleacher was that it would be something people actually sit on. Maybe on the back patio.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Love it!
Old 11-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thanks. You are correct. Forgot that pretty late addition and never ever sat there. Cool.

Miss old Shea a lot. It was a bit of a dump but it was my dump. Sorry I didn't buy more pieces of Shea when the Mets were selling it all off.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-12-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Chris

James,

I think it is a great start and has some real potential. My recommendations are as follows:
1. Reposition the light colored bats so that they are placed in a uniform pattern. Maybe have one on the left side one bat in and one on the right side one bat in. The uniformity would add to it a bit.
2. Use a skill saw or some sort of other power saw to cut the bats all straight, and at the same length, along the bottom.
3. Build a frame around the bats running around all four sides and paint it either black or the color of the seat--black to match the bats would probably be easier than trying to match the seat color. I think that would lead to a more polished look.

Whatever you ultimately do, it's a cool project.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

In the end, you wanna be this guy:

Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 11-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
James,

I think it is a great start and has some real potential. My recommendations are as follows:
1. Reposition the light colored bats so that they are placed in a uniform pattern. Maybe have one on the left side one bat in and one on the right side one bat in. The uniformity would add to it a bit.
2. Use a skill saw or some sort of other power saw to cut the bats all straight, and at the same length, along the bottom.
3. Build a frame around the bats running around all four sides and paint it either black or the color of the seat--black to match the bats would probably be easier than trying to match the seat color. I think that would lead to a more polished look.

Whatever you ultimately do, it's a cool project.
All good suggestions.

I'd have left the bats full length, and maybe run them a bit higher, but it's too late for that now. Running a frame across the bottom of them once they're even would be cool. and framing around the sides and top could make it look a bit more finished.

Depending on what you like stylewise you could do a sort of layered border around the bats and paint it in Mets colors. Or do a border with a few different Mets logos starting with earlier ones at the lower left and going clockwise to newer ones. Or a simple border with a corner blocks with the logo you like the best.

Lots of options, and lots of different ways to do any of them.

Steve B
Old 11-12-2016, 07:18 PM
James Head

I think I already am that guy in the picture.....

The boarder ideas are great and I will be looking to do something on that end.

I also had intended have the bats horizontal instead of vertical but it didnt really work well to get them attached on the boarding and they didint fit together very well that way either.

I did purposely use the bats show because they were inexpensive and I had no idea what I was doing. I would like to down the road replace this back with some bats of better known Mets players.

Did some clean up work on it today with some staining and added the 2 knob ends.

Will probably give it time as is (at least till after the the holiday) before I add anything anything else on it. I dont want it to get too busy up top either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161112_153630.jpg (74.8 KB, 143 views)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 AM

Default Shea Bleacher Benches

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this particular thread...but I just saw it ...and I believe that you bought that piece from me at a LI JP's Show. I actually originally purchased all the Bleachers that came out of Shea ..there are many of them out there now...but I love to see what people do with them. I still make benches out of them and have done a number of different leg options. I never did a Back to the benches, as they didn't have backs at Shea...But I think your Bat Back is pretty cool. I'll attach some pics of mine below and you can go to my site to check out my latest. www.sheamemorabilia.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bleacher Bench 2.jpg (78.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Shea bench 1.jpg (53.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:50 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
In the end, you wanna be this guy:

Is this the brother of the guy holding the Wagner card in his dumpy apartment with the mirror behind him? LOL
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.