NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Beautiful! Do you know, is there an identical 10" x 29"?

This pennant may have been hung at a team function e.g. end of year banquet. Wherever it hung, it's cool. How did you get it?
Thanks, I stumbled upon it on eBay. The union stamping is similar to that I have seen on the 1971 World Series celebration street banners. I have always hoped it might be related to my 71 Bucs. My 1971 Pirate collection bows down to your Giants collection. I showed my wife your post and told her to quit complaining about my paltry obsession
Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 AM

Default Eagles banner

Great Pirates Banner. Do you mind if I ask how you display it?
I have a huge Philadelphia Eagles banner that reportedly hung in Franklin Field that I have struggled to find a way to display. It is very large - approximately 9 feet long, by 6 feet wide at the left side. I hate the idea of using tacks or anything, especially since this is made of a pretty heavy canvas material, and I would worry about damaging/tearing it by hanging that way. I have spoken to a few framers, and they wouldn't touch it due to its size. My latest idea (although a bit ridiculous) is to have 2 large pieces of thin plexiglass made into a sort of giant screwdown case that I could hang on my wall. I have talked to a plexiglass supplier, and my plan was to have 2 large sheets made with screwholes along the edges that I could use to tighten the pieces together, thus sealing the flag inside. Sort of a ridiculous idea, but it might work. Anyway, here is the flag.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
I have a huge Philadelphia Eagles banner that reportedly hung in Franklin Field that I have struggled to find a way to display. It is very large - approximately 9 feet long, by 6 feet wide at the left side. I hate the idea of using tacks or anything, especially since this is made of a pretty heavy canvas material, and I would worry about damaging/tearing it by hanging that way. I have spoken to a few framers, and they wouldn't touch it due to its size. My latest idea (although a bit ridiculous) is to have 2 large pieces of thin plexiglass made into a sort of giant screwdown case that I could hang on my wall. I have talked to a plexiglass supplier, and my plan was to have 2 large sheets made with screwholes along the edges that I could use to tighten the pieces together, thus sealing the flag inside. Sort of a ridiculous idea, but it might work. Anyway, here is the flag.
That's an awesome Eagles pennant. I have the same problem with displaying mine. Ironically I have considered the same Plexiglas solution. Let me know if you actually attempt it. I have seen Plexiglas shadow boxes used by museums to display oversized tapestries and quilts. I have to believe that would be too cost prohibitive for my budget. I have three large Pirate banners the largest of which is ten foot by four foot. I have all three wrapped in linen around a large cardboard tube. I take them out on opening day and display them in my office for one week. I have an understanding boss and 16 foot ceiling that accommodates their size. All three of mine have grommets that make it easier to display them without risk of damage.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Rob

Quote:
I love both the Pirates and Eagles banners

I have my SF flag from Wrigley under plexiglas but your flags are much bigger. The Wrigley flag is "only" 3' x 6' and I got the plexi at a Sears hardware store. If you can get plexi big enough for your flags, I say do it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0347.jpg (75.2 KB, 1336 views)
Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Thanks, I stumbled upon it on eBay. The union stamping is similar to that I have seen on the 1971 World Series celebration street banners. I have always hoped it might be related to my 71 Bucs.
I found these on ebay...some similar, but not exact, standard sized pennants. Surely, old news to you.

and the b&w picture is what made me think maybe your Pirates flag hung at at team function (that and the "weighted tip"). Is the 2nd from left guy checking his cell phone.....30 years before they were invented?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KGrHqZpEE63YiDEB-BO2y1vHJc60_12.JPG (17.3 KB, 1335 views)
File Type: jpg B0LosdQBGkKGrHqMOKjEETy4M0-qBMZL-U4iFQ_12.JPG (27.9 KB, 1332 views)
File Type: jpg KGrHqQOKjQE0jn4Z2qBNbFySNww0_3.jpg (61.1 KB, 1331 views)
Old 02-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Mikeknapp

Rob, thanks for info. I have a couple of those standard sized pennants as well. The photo you posted certainly gives me something to consider about the potential purpose of my oversized pennant. It also gives me something new to search for as well. By the way the guy texting looks like Ford Frick? Thanks again!

Mike

Last edited by 71buc; 02-23-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I'm not a pennant guy per se, but just picked up this photo in the RMY auction last night that I thought you guys might enjoy. It shows 1954 Cleveland Indians team officials taking inventory and getting World Series Souvenirs ready to sell at the ballpark, including. Hundreds of pennants including several with the stadium and others with the Chief Wahoo image as well as some New York Giants pennants poking out of a box too, not to mention yearbooks, stadium pins, visors and T-shirts. Fun stuff!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I'm not a pennant guy per se, but just picked up this photo in the RMY auction last night that I thought you guys might enjoy. It shows 1954 Cleveland Indians team officials taking inventory and getting World Series Souvenirs ready to sell at the ballpark, including. Hundreds of pennants including several with the stadium and others with the Chief Wahoo image as well as some New York Giants pennants poking out of a box too, not to mention yearbooks, stadium pins, visors and T-shirts. Fun stuff!

Love seeing the merchandise! I wonder what those pennants went for back then? A buck?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:32 PM

Default Giants Flag

Great pennants! I thought I'd post this flag I picked up at Mark Macrae's St. Leanders show. It takes a huge space on my garage at 7.5' x 4.5'.

Made by Hortie Van of Pasadena. It's double sided - I guess so that it read "left to right" no matter what way the wind took it.

Rob, I may have asked you about this one already and I know it's a long-shot, but if anyone has ideas as to where it flew, please let me know. Thanks!
 photo giantsflag1-001_zps23abfc91.jpg
 photo giantsflag2-001_zps87ecec13.jpg
 photo giantsflag3-001_zps920dd0b0.jpg
Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

What a great photo... can't believe I missed that one. Thanks for posting, Lance...

Keith:
I think your plexiglass idea is perfect. That's about the best you can do, and I think it would be a very attractive/protective solution (without damaging the Banner).

Rob pulled it off nicely with his Giants Pennant, already. If you do go this route, please post "before and after" pics and let us know the cost. I have some over-sized stuff that might be good "candidates" for this as well.

Last edited by perezfan; 02-23-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Mike

Great photo Lance.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 PM

Love that photo Lance.
I don't have too many pennants, but here are a few --

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3pennants.jpg (52.0 KB, 1312 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:12 AM

Here are a couple of my favorites. The small pennant is from Luke Appling Day with the pin attached to it.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 luke.jpg (51.4 KB, 1297 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice graphics on that Albany Pennant, Greg... really captures that era perfectly.

Here are a few favorites from the teens... just to keep this thread going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pennant sale 290.jpg (71.0 KB, 1273 views)
File Type: jpg pennant sale 289.jpg (70.4 KB, 1278 views)
File Type: jpg pennant sale 291.jpg (66.9 KB, 1279 views)
File Type: jpg pennant sale 295.jpg (70.8 KB, 1279 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Mark,
Those are really nice and I don't think most people have any idea how rare early over-sized pennants are. Especially in that condition. Even if you had the money to drop on a collection like that, good luck finding them in the next 10-20 years. I buy and sell a fair amount of pennants and do collect Yankees pennants for my own collection, but even as a seller I have to say that is an incredible grouping of pennants some of which you may have the lone example. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks Jason... yes, it's been a "labor of love" for quite a few years now

Completely agree... Having watched these so closely over the years, I think it's safe to say that they're drying up pretty fast. I believe that most which surfaced over the past couple of decades are now safely tucked away in people's collections for a while. The new finds seem to be turning up at a slower rate than before. It still tends to go in "waves", but the waves are getting a lot smaller!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

You hardly see a quality vintage pennant at auction anymore. You have better luck tripping across one on eBay than finding a solid one at auction with the usual suspects.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Mi.ke Huds*n

Greg, absolutely love the Albany pennant.

I know I've shown this one before, but it's one of my favorites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GeorgeBurns.jpg (52.6 KB, 1265 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Mike H.

Here are a few of mine that I consider "scarce". The key word being I...LOL.

Common Design, but I've NEVER seen another Cubs

Old 02-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Mike H.

sorry dupe posting

Last edited by mjkm90; 02-24-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Jeff P

Great thread!

AAFC Pennant

jeff
Old 02-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Jeff P

1920's Penn State

jeff
Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypcl View Post
Great pennants! I thought I'd post this flag I picked up at Mark Macrae's St. Leanders show. It takes a huge space on my garage at 7.5' x 4.5'.

Made by Hortie Van of Pasadena. It's double sided - I guess so that it read "left to right" no matter what way the wind took it.

Rob, I may have asked you about this one already and I know it's a long-shot, but if anyone has ideas as to where it flew, please let me know. Thanks!
 photo giantsflag1-001_zps23abfc91.jpg
i wish I had some info for you, but I don't. The seller had no story?

your question lead to one of my own.....my Giants Wrigley flag is a white "San Francisco" on a purple background. The current Wrigley flags are an orange "Giants" on a black background. I'm 99.9% sure mine is legit, but when did they make this change?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrigley_Flags.jpg (34.1 KB, 1232 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Here are a couple of my favorites. The small pennant is from Luke Appling Day with the pin attached to it.

Greg
really cool! I love the white picket fence!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Here are a few of mine that I consider "scarce". The key word being I...LOL.]
Oh, I'm pretty sure you have some scarce ones there. Great pennants! I had to google Johnny Groth
Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Mark,
Those are really nice and I don't think most people have any idea how rare early over-sized pennants are. Especially in that condition. Even if you had the money to drop on a collection like that, good luck finding them in the next 10-20 years. I buy and sell a fair amount of pennants and do collect Yankees pennants for my own collection, but even as a seller I have to say that is an incredible grouping of pennants some of which you may have the lone example. Thanks for sharing.
I totally agree....Mark's collection is amazing. I have rarely had a chance to buy even ONE oversized, early Giants pennant and when I have, the money has scared me off!

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-24-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Never seen that Giants variation... wow!

I thought the Reds had a monopoly on that style (there are 2 other Reds variations, albeit not as rare as the one above).
Mark and Chris-

This was the Reds pennant that really reminded me of the next year's Giants. I think the Reds was recently in an ITPC auction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8500a_med.jpg (31.0 KB, 1235 views)
File Type: jpg 62champs.JPG (13.5 KB, 1233 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 PM
chris

That's it. Definitely looks like the same manufacturer. Good catch!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Mark and Mike -- so many beautiful pennants!
And Mike H. -- right back at you -- I love that George Burns pennant.

Here are a few more from me.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kelly.jpg (68.8 KB, 1213 views)
File Type: jpg ducky.jpg (63.1 KB, 1207 views)
File Type: jpg pirated.jpg (53.7 KB, 1210 views)
Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Rob

So, sayhey Greg....it looks like you specialize in player (rather than team) pennants

Those can't be easy to find!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yeah, those are really unique... you never see them. Great stuff, Greg.

Mike;
A number of those must be one-of-a-kind. I've never seen any other examples of the Cub wearing the Cap, the oversized/framed Cubs, or the Tiger Head above the Stadium. Really great stuff!

Also...
There was another Johnny Groth Pennant on ebay recently. Do you still have yours, or did it make it's way to the ""outside"? It is interesting, as we once thought it might be a "special" pennant, made just for him. Fascinating to ponder why they would mass-produce a pennant like that for such a common player?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 AM
chris

Awesome stuff Mark!

Here's a couple odd ball but cool pennants. I believe the Redleg pennant to be from 1958. It originated from the Los Angeles area. The last year the Reds were officially referred to as the Redlegs and the Dodgers first year in L.A. was 1958. Plus it has sewn on letters and measures 14" x 40"! I believe it may have been used at the Reds visiting hotel or something similar...
Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Rob

^^^^^ The Hotel Havlin one? How big is that and what do you think the wedge shaped wood was for? Very cool.

here's one that is kind of tough, but not overly so. There's one on ebay right now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2821.jpg (76.1 KB, 816 views)
Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 PM
chris

Hey Rob. That's actually a horn attached to the pennant.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Hey Rob. That's actually a horn attached to the pennant.
Ahhhhh......how big is the horn?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Chris...

Wow... blown away by those two, and have never seen either. Condition of both looks amazing as well. You see so much of the standard Reds stuff, that when something truly unique appears, you just have to marvel at it.

Thanks for showing it!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Ahhhhh......how big is the horn?
That's what she asked!

Hey Rob...

It may not be the only "61 All Star Pennant, but sure is a toughie. I would bet you have the whitest one in existence. These damned white pennants are almost impossible in that condition.

Very nice!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-25-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:30 PM
chris

Its about 13"
Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 PM

Here are a few of my favorite college pennants.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Rob

^^^^ "Fighting Gobblers"

below is a little paper pennant. The R/A is Roos/Atkins, an SF men's clothing store. As early as 1958 they were supporting the Giants, originally as Roos Bros. and Atkins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan_14225111627_1.jpg (76.2 KB, 746 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Phil P

Quote:
Sorry for the small photos, but here is my Carlisle pennant with Thorpe-esque football carrier pictured.

This one isn't in my collection, but rather part of my for sale inventory; its a rare Stan Musial pennant.
Keith: What year is the Stan Musial pennant from .. its a neat looking pennant.
Phil
Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

August 4, 1968
Old 02-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Default Musial Pennant

Mark is correct - the pennant has the date on the end, but tough to see in my small image. I believe on that date a statue of Musial was unveiled outside Busch Stadium, and this pennant was likely produced for that event.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:24 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It is a rare one, to be sure. Only one I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot of pennants!)
Old 02-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Cool thread, so many awesome pennants!

Heres one of my favorites-

Old 02-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Default PCL Pennants

Pre 1958 PCL pennants, with a few exceptions, are tough to find. Early PCL pennants fall into the "hen's teeth" category.

Here's one of my favorites: 1914 Sacramento Wolves. The PCL Sacramento franchise was re-named after manager Harry Wolverton for the 1914 season, and became the Mission franchise later in the 1914 season. 21 year old future Black Sox player Lefty Williams was 13-20 with a 2.05 ERA for this not-so-great team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (75.1 KB, 725 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 02:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerainiers View Post
Pre 1958 PCL pennants, with a few exceptions, are tough to find. Early PCL pennants fall into the "hen's teeth" category.

Here's one of my favorites: 1914 Sacramento Wolves. The PCL Sacramento franchise was re-named after manager Harry Wolverton for the 1914 season, and became the Mission franchise later in the 1914 season. 21 year old future Black Sox player Lefty Williams was 13-20 with a 2.05 ERA for this not-so-great team.
Man, that's a beauty... really love the colors and graphics.

Here's another Sacramento PCL Pennant. Obviously a later issue, but likely pre- 1958...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solons.jpg (39.8 KB, 723 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 02-28-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Cool thread, so many awesome pennants!

Heres one of my favorites-

I'm really happy to see new additions (without bumps from me)!

^^^^^ is that a PIRATES pennant?
Old 02-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerainiers View Post

Wow!!!! I absolutely can't believe the colors on that one. Magnificent!
Old 02-28-2014, 03:34 PM

Here is another 1950ish Northwestern pennant