NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default Would you do this trade?

Posted By: WARSHAWLAW

Let's say someone approached you with a very rare, very valuable card--say on the order of a T206 Wagner, T210 Jackson, Baltimore News Ruth, whatever fancy card you want to name--and offered to trade it to you, the catch being that the trade is for your entire baseball collection and you cannot sell the card you receive in the trade for at least five years. Would you do it? Could you do it? Would relative values factor into it or would non-monetary considerations win out?

I'm of course assuming that you have a comprehensive, "deep" collection that you've put a ton of effort and care into assembling, not a handful of packs you bought at the 7-11 with your morning burritos.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bob

No, I have too many cards that have a significant sentimental value. The 33 Goudey Cronin my dad gave me, the 41 PB Dickey my godfather gave me, and cards that I got autographed by Yaz and Ted Williams, cards I've received from other OBC members. Plus the bulk of my collection I assembled during my childhood out of packs (68-74).

Old 09-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Interesting question - A lot of it might boil down to just how much you have into a collection. If I only had $20K (albeit a bit of time to do so) into a collection then I might consider trading it all for a T206 Wagner. I figure I cold sell the Wagner in 5 years and buy back everything I traded and then some. Now if this is $100K+ worth of my cards then I probably wouldn't do it because it might start getting to be a parity deal and one card would leave a pretty big hole. Sure it's a great card, but...

One question - if I submitted the card for grading 3 years down the road and it was rejected for trimming (or another alteration), do I get my cards back? Just kidding....

Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

No. My collection is worth more than any individual card.

Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Building is a lot of fun in this hobby - and it would be great to have such a cornerstone card in my collection, while I try to build back a lot of what I had.

Obviously I would only do such a trade if I felt I was getting the better end of the deal. I guess I would say this: I cannot imagine the owner of a Wagner/Jax/etc. trading a single card for a lot of other 'stuff' that can probably be replicated, more or less, with money.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Morning Burritos?

Relative values always factor into it.

Non-monitary considerations are considerable.

But so is my attraction to other collectibles.

Five years huh?

Yeah, Id do it. But it would have to be 175% relative value - right now value on both ends.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

In a heartbeat.

I would be more than happy to trade a significant portion of my collection for a big card if the fair market values are similar. Smaller cards may be easier to move but the hassle of selling a million cards bought at the 7-11 with my morning burritos is more trouble than it is worth.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...I am under 10 cards shy of a complete T206 set which I've been compiling since 1997, but I will never be able to afford the Wagner. If I could trade my collection for the Wagner, I'd do it, and then spend the next decade reacquiring the cards I gave up.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Ahhhh, I don’t think I could I’d like to but I couldn’t. I collect the T206 set the Wagner is a hole I may never fill so it would be tempting. On the other hand I would go from needing 4 cards to finish the set to needing over 500+ again.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

nope - out of the question.

no card, NO CARD ,is that desirable and all the effort to gain what I have, nuh uh !

Old 09-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I would trade 99.99% of my cards for a Wagner but theres no chance id trade all of them for any or all 3 of those cards you named because i cant put a price on sentimental value eventho depending on condition those 3 might dwarf my cards in book value.I have too many cards that might not have book value but arent for sale like my 1st t206 card,my first OJ,my 1st Carlton Fisk rookie.My first Pirates cards which are 81 topps,6 cards in vg condition which would probably get 30 cents on ebay,I wouldnt trade them for the top 6 cards on my wantlist in mint condition

Its possible if for instance, id always wanted a Wagner and tricked myself all this time into thinking one was possible for me to buy,that i might make that trade but my thinking has always been the Wagner is too expensive so i'll never have one.

Most of the untradeable cards are from my youth,dont know if thats the same for other people.It took me 19 years from the first time i saw a Ewing/Mascot card and fell in love with it,till the time i finally got one but id trade that card(along with something else obviously) for a higher grade version.The cards i listed above i would not do that with because in those case its the particular card,not an example of that card

Old 09-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I'd say no.
I've had too much fun putting together my insignifcants!

Old 09-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It would be literally impossible to obtain a lot of my cards again. Unless it was the T206 PSA 8 (and yes probably trimmed) Wagner then no way. If it was that one it would be close...but still no way......nice question

Old 09-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I have nothing in my collection of value as to the point my dad gave it to me or anything like that. If I could part with my collection to gain one of those cards that I have always wanted and that I could never get without parting with my collection - I would do it. I almost think I would enjoy the chase all over again getting the so called "little" cards that are in my collection. The thought of having a t206 Wagner an e107 Wagner or Leon's FBH Ewing as the cornerstone of my collection would be too great for me to pass up. Right now the cornerstone of my collection is my low grade e95 set, very small potatoes when comparing to a FBH Ewing or Hal's T206 Wagner. For a small collector like me that will never be able to afford one of those cards - heck yeah - my collection is yours!

Old 09-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

YES. I can always have a blast collecting these all over again. I might be single doing it because my wife would either leave me or kill me. J/K. She is very understanding. Why, I have no idea. I showed her my Red Cobb and its just an old piece of cardboard to her. Her reply was "As long as it makes you happy" Cant ask for more than that.

Moral Values " What would you do if no one was looking? Only you would know" Instilled in me by James W. Brennan Sr.

Old 09-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

NO CARD, NO WAY, NO HOW...although, i might consider trading my collection for a life-time supply of morning burritos from 7-11

pete

my best pitch was the one that made it to the plate!

Old 09-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

T206 - If that is the case then you could afford a wagner! As for my response, i might, although the one card that i would trade for... would be the 210 Jackson and depending on the condition etc..etc.. it may or may not be worth what my entire collection is worth...etc..etc... so it just depends.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-08-2005, 04:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike McGrail

My "valueless collection" has to much value!

Mike

Old 09-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

No. In my opinion a collection is not just one card. All twenty years of my efforts would be down the drain. If my collection wasn't that far along, well I just might.

Brian

Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hrbaker

In a word no, it's a hobby to me and not about value at a bare minimum. Of course, if my collection had not been accumulated over twenty years and contain a number of cards that I am very partial to and could not replace today in their entirety then I might could be persuaded. I am not sure one card (even if it is "the card) would be a collection to me.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

to see that so many collectors would not trade their collections for a card of greater monetary value.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

I'm not sure what kind of heavy duty collection everyone has, but most of my collection is replaceable. It may take some time, but eventually I can piece the whole collection back together. The process of accumulating was fun the first time and I am sure it would be great fun to do it again.

On the other hand, there are certain cards that come around only a few times over the course of a lifetime. If a Baltimore News Ruth or a T210 Jackson was offered as equal trade, I would jump at that opportunity. It's not about money; it is about which cards are easier to replace.

Old 09-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Good point wes. For me it was a response to the question, i think it was intended as would you trade your collection for your personal crown jewel. My only stipulation would be that i definitely hold onto my e90-1 Jackson b/c it was my 16th birthday present and it has more sentimental value to me than anything else i own.
I don't know of any of my cards that aren't replaceable...they maybe hard to get but they will come around again eventually and once again...it would just give me the joy of adding them again!

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

The only, and I mean ONLY card I would trade my collection for is the Wagner. I have all the T206 HOFer cards except Wagner and Plank, and collecting them all again wouldn't be that difficult; neither would any of my other cards.

The one stipulation I would have is I would not include my Dan Fouts (SD Charger HOF QB) PSA 10 rookie card, and I would also keep my 1933 Goudey B Ruth #53. My mother bought me the Ruth in 1979; I later sold it along with nearly all my cards in 1991. I then discovered the EXACT SAME card on ebay in 2003, having been graded a PSA 1...so it has enormous sentimental value to me as my mom died in 2003.

Steve