NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2001, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Ewing PSA graded for sale on EBay

Posted By: HalleyGator 

I know, I know ... another "not so shameless" plug....

BUT I really need to sell the card after I "accidentally" won that PSA 8 N29 Ewing card on the Superior Auction last week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1025555291&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1005250700&indexURL=0&rd=1

I am also selling an E90-1 Sam Crawford that is PSA graded and a D304 Brunner's Bread Johnny Evers PSA card. These are doubles now that I won some really good cards in the Teletrade auction last week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1025557476&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1005250954&indexURL=0&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1025558030&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1005251073&indexURL=0&rd=1

Old 10-31-2001, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Did I mention that the "mascot" in the photo with Buck Ewing went on to become famous in his own right?

He grew up and became one of the Four Horseman of Notre Dame!!

OK, OK... I admit that I made that up just to drive up the price of my card...

which is one of the "HARDEST OLD JUDGES TO FIND IN ANY CONDITION"

Old 10-31-2001, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Where would you place that card on the Mohs hardness scale? From now on when someone describes an Old Judge as "hard" I will assume that this is what they are referring to. . Good Luck Hal! I still have that Hartford Blue Stocking CdV with Candy Cummings waiting for you.

Old 10-31-2001, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Dear Jay: I would say that my card is right up there on the "hardness" scale with COMISKEY - and we all know in detail how hard that one is!!

Actually, since there have only been TWO such Ewing & Mascot cards ever graded by PSA ... then this card is TWICE AS RARE as the Comiskey which has been graded 5 times.

In fact, my sources tell me that these two graded Ewing & Mascot cards are the ONLY such authentic cards that exist in the World, and that all ungraded Ewing & Mascot cards are reprints from the 1970's. Sorry for the bad news about all of your ungraded ones, but that REALLY shows how rare this one is.

PS - If you can succeed in getting these guys at Cooperstown to change Candy Cumming's listing from "Executive" to "Pitcher" ... then I would have no choice but to buy your CdV !!

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/lists/alphabetical.htm

Old 10-31-2001, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I'm amazed that Foxx and Hornsby were both were elected under 80% - what did these two do to upset the media?

Old 10-31-2001, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Lefty Grove only had 76% of the votes, and he is still said to be the best left-handed pitcher ever.

At first I thought that these guys must have been on the ballot with some bigger names ...

but then I clicked on the "year" column and it showed me that Hornsby was the ONLY player elected in 1942. Thus, I have no idea what the other 20% were thinking.

Heck, Lefty Grove got less votes than Frisch, Hubbell and Cochrane in 1947.

Old 10-31-2001, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Lefty Grove only had 76% of the votes, and he is still said to be the best left-handed pitcher ever.

At first I thought that these guys must have been on the ballot with some bigger names ...

but then I clicked on the "year" column and it showed me that Hornsby was the ONLY player elected in 1942. Thus, I have no idea what the other 20% were thinking.

Heck, Lefty Grove got less votes than Frisch, Hubbell and Cochrane in 1947.

Then again ... Cy Young only got 76% for his induction, so who knows??

Old 10-31-2001, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Sorry for the double post ... I was trying to add that last line about Cy Young only getting 76% of the vote.

Old 10-31-2001, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

I was perusing my Baseball Encyclopedia (Ninth Edition) this morning, and saw that it listed Candy Cummings as a pitcher in its Hall of Fame roll call. It also listed separately, after the players, those members who are managers and those who were "selected for meritorious service". In this last group it identified executives, "manager-executives", an "umpire-executive", and Rube Foster as "player- executive", among others. Curiously, Candy Cummings is not listed as a "player-executive" or plain old executive; again, he is listed with the players. Halleygator, are you certain about his status--is the website you linked absolutely correct that Cummings was not inducted based upon his accomlishment(s) as a player? Just curious. Todd

Old 10-31-2001, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

The Candy Cummings listing has annoyed me for a while so I called the HOF. What I was told was that when Cummings was elected in 1939 they had different categories than they have today, and he was actually elected as a pioneer of the game for his supposed development of the curve ball. In recent times these categories have been changed and the pioneer category no longer exists. All players formerly in this category were reassigned to the executive category, even though they might not have been executives. The head of research said that if Cummings were elected today, given the categories that currently exist, he would be classified as a pitcher. I have asked that they review their listing procedure to correct these errors.

Old 10-31-2001, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Just when I thought my collection was nearing completion ...

Jay Miller makes a phone call and changes history!

Todd: The website I cited is the OFFICIAL Hall of Fame web site. Jay's explanation clears up what happened and why.

I suppose that George Wright and probably even Harry Wright would fit into the same category, since BOTH played baseball BEFORE the major leagues officially started and both were clearly "pioneers of the game."

Jay: Send me a scan ... I guess I should at least look at the CdV now.

Old 10-31-2001, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Given that he also played the game, A. G. Spalding might also fall into this category of "pioneer/player turned executive."

Old 10-31-2001, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

HalleyGator,

You are forgetting that there are Latin American Cards of several of the Negro Leaguers who are in the HOF.
There are several 1920's Cuban Issues of both Oscar Charleston and John Henry "Pop" Lloyd. There are several 1940/50's Cuban Issues of Martin Dihigo and Ray Dandridge. There is also a 1950's Dominican Issue of Dihigo. Lastly there are several 1940/50's Puerto Rican Issues of Leon Day. Many of these cards are not in the SCD (yet), but they most certainly exist.

Old 11-01-2001, 03:43 AM
Administrator

Dear Andy: By all means, I would love to get my hands on some of those cards for the Negro League stars ... but from looking at the POP reports it does not look like PSA grades them. Not that this means a hill of beans, but I am hoping that PSA eventually registers a "Hall of Fame" set in their set registry. If they do not grade these Cuban cards, then it is umlikely they will require or acknowledge them in any set. The same is probably true for strip cards, which is why I have been selling mine off and getting "national" set cards to replace them.

But by all means if anyone has some real vintage Cuban cards of Negro League Hall of Famers that they wany to sell ... let me know.

Old 11-01-2001, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

HalleyGator,

It's not that PSA won't grade them. These cards are extremely rare, and those of us that collect them don't feel the need to send them to grading companies. We know far more about the cards than PSA or SGC will ever know.

Old 11-01-2001, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Vognar Julie

That's a "7." Some say that either jadite or nephrite
is only a "6.5." I forget which.

Julie

Old 11-01-2001, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Vognar Julie

Some say thatJulie nephrite is only 6.5.