NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Worch Cigar project

I've decided to undertake research on this obscure and intriguing set from the 1930s. Hopefully I'll discover enough to produce a decent article for Old Cardboard, assuming Lyman is interested. I've already figured out some stuff about the dating -- clearly they were not all issued in 1933 as often assumed.

I've now looked at most of the previous posts that mention Worches so I know some of you (Jeff, Todd, Greg, this means U) have a decent number of them. Many others have only one or a few, but any and all info is still helpful, so please check in with whatever you have.

My first goal is to verify the existence (and get scans) of as many as possible cards from the checklist. So I would be really grateful if anyone and everyone could tell me which players you own (Majors and A.A.). Scans are always welcome, but that step can be left until later if you don't already have them scanned.

Any other info you have about the set I would love to hear about as well.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Here are a few of my faves:

worch 1.jpg
Old 07-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Default Wonderful news , Tim. Thanks in advance. Love your stuff.

....Getting the Stratton slabbed was a struggle , but evidently there is indeed some competence ( eventually ) down in the basement at PSA ; but you need to threaten to fly Lemke to California . Worked for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Default Here are the two known Glenn variations....

....it's going to rain so I'll go dig up some more ....
Old 07-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Jeff

Default My Faves

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 07-28-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Cool cards, my lone example-

Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

From my understanding I think Mack will be a very scarce one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ptuncworchmack.jpg (62.4 KB, 1936 views)
Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Todd Schultz

Sorry Tim, If you've read all the posts here, then you know what I know. I spilled pretty much everything I know (which wasn't much), and I only occasionally chase the Millers and Saints cards nowadays. Here are a couple of the old threads.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=worch

All I would add now is that I have seen about a dozen mailing envelopes that contained the pictures, and each one I have seen was mailed to a Minnesota resident save one that went to North Dakota (I don't have scans unfortunately). It would make sense that the company would advertise most heavily locally in Minnesota. I also own and have seen 3-4 examples of letterhead from Worch to at least one distributor in Ohio, but the message made no reference to the pictures. I have seen no letterhead or other advertising to suggest that the pictures went to tobacco distributors rather than to customers directly. I believe the general thinking is that customers sent in cigar bands in whatever quantities for the pictures, although I have never seen ads or other evidence promoting that method. I was never heavily into the set however, so my experience likely doesn't take you far.

I would also note that several on ebay from I believe John Rumierez are said to to be from 1932, and seller claims that these were previously called Wheaties cards but that a recent large find of them were found in Worch Envelopes. I have not delved into that since learning of it early this year, but OC backs this up. As you know, these are easily distinguished from the Worch's of subsequent years.

As mentioned in my earlier posts, the Worch-like pics were distributed in 1935 on a much more limited basis. All I have seen from this year were Mpls or St Paul players, leading me to wonder if they were either team issued or came from the newspapers whose credits appear on the card fronts (maybe as subscription awards).

Here are the only two big leaguers I have left (shown before)--I have a scan of a Dizzy Dean I sold to a board member, but will let him post it --and a couple of what I believe to be 1935s.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

PM or email me with any questions, and include your m101 scans
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 PM

Default Two of the Joe Hausers...probably more out there.

The Minneapolis ( and St. Paul ) newspapers' Sports Departments may have photo archives , and the local historians and memoirs collections may be a great place to spend several years.....
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 PM

Default Some were horizontals-- I love the Perrin shot.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Thanks all!

Hey guys,
these are great! Keep em coming, and as I mentioned, even if you don't have scans, I would like a list of your holdings--

Tim
Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 AM

My only example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rick Ferrell (PSA 5 MK).jpg (77.5 KB, 1222 views)