NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Default New Poll....finally.

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Got a new poll up for the remainder of the month. Won't leave it up more than a couple weeks but figured since I've overheard a lot of debate between these 3 cards.....might as well vote on it!

-Brian

Old 11-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Wow, I hadn't realized the Reccius pictured a 13 year old Wagner-(1887-89). Sorry, I couldn't resist- I'm sure you meant to put the date as 1897-99, just thought I would have a little fun.
-Rhett

Old 11-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Doesn't the scan show a 1918 Reccius Wagner?

-Ryan

Old 11-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Prefer the Collins -McCarthy...see whole powerful body as well as face.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Nice job Brian.....I know some board members have nice Wagner collections...

Old 11-24-2005, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

No, Ryan.

The 4-digit phone number on the card is consistent with the 1899 time period, because by 1905, Louisville had switched to all 5 digit phone numbers.

Likewise, the address is consistent with the 1890's census when the entire Reccius family resided in that area. After 1903, the cigar business moved to a different location on West Market Street.

So the card could have been printed anywhere between 1897 and 1902.

But Wagner left Louisville and started playing for Pittsburg in 1900...and Louisville's team folded..

so the card was more than likely printed when Wagner was the BIG STAR in Louisville in 1899...

than in 1900 or 1901 or 1902 when he was gone from the area.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Kress

1. T206 Honus Wagner

2. 1914 Babe Ruth

3. Old Judge Anson in Uniform

4. Four Base Hits Kelly

5. Just So Cy Young

T206 Wagner by large margin
#3 Well above #4 and #5

Old 11-24-2005, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Preece1

What I didn't like about the dating of the Wagner in the 1897-1899 time frame is that Wagner WASN't the big man in Louisville, it was Fred Clarke. Clarge was the player/manager and the star from 1895-1899 in Louisville. In that time frame, Clarke batted (according to baseball-reference.com) .347, .325, .390, .307, and .342. In addition, when Wagner came to the league in 1897, his averages were (again according to baseball-reference.com) .338, .299, and .336. Each year he was beat by Clarke in average. If there was going to be a card issued between 1897-1899 in Louisville, it would seem to be logical that it would be Clarke, not Wagner. Beginning in 1900, when Wagner was in Pittsburgh, that is when he became the "man" nationally and you could see how a Louisville cigar maker would want to cash in on one of their "own".

Just my thoughts. Regardless of the date, it is a great card.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:34 AM
Administrator

The 1918 date to which you refer was for the "Honus Wagner" cigar box that sold recently.

That is an entirely different brand from an entirely different cigar maker.

Yes, it re-uses the old picture of Wagner from his Reccius card...

but it is NOT a "Henry Reccius" cigar box.

Nor is it a "Hans" Wagner box, which is how the Reccius card addresses him.

To date, there has NEVER (according to the curator of the Cigar Box and Label Museum) been ANY type of "packaging" ever found that says "Henry Reccius" on it, whether it be "Hans Wagner" cigars or any other brand.

Based on this total lack of packaging evidence, the curator believes, based on the "License Number" assigned to Reccius from the government, that he was a small-time "jobber" in Louisville in the 1890's who probably made cigars to sell to OTHER cigar companies for their brands.

The "Hans Wagner" cigars were probably just distributed to Reccius's customers and to local cigar stores to try and get his name out there so that people would remember him over the 2,000 other "jobbers" who were rolling cigars at the time.

According to the curator, these jobbers did not have their own fancy boxes... but basically just re-used plain old cigar boxes they had laying around.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:43 AM
Administrator

I beg to differ, Mr. Preece!

Who is the "hotter" name in marketing?

Is it the old guy who keeps plugging along steadily... or is the GREAT NEW player who is setting the league on fire?

I know in Atlanta this year... Jeff Francouer was ALL THE RAGE... while Chipper Jones is just the same old news.

Also, rule #2: Chick Dig the Long Ball!!

SO...

when Honus Wagner finished SECOND in the entire Major Leagues in HOME RUNS and SIXTH in RBI in 1898 ...

he was the ALBERT PUJOLS of Louisville!!!

He was the media darling.

He was all the rage.

He was the PERFECT candidate for marketing ANYTHING in Louisville in 1899!!!!

Old 11-24-2005, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Neat Poll Brian

However, here we have a 1900 Cigar advertising piece
with Wagner's endorsement. And, we know he was a life-
time Cigar smoker since photos of him from the 1950's,
at an old age, show him with lit cigars.

But, we have been told he that he would not endorse any
Cigarette product. Can someone tell me difference ?

Because long term Cigar smoking is just as hazardous to
your health as are cigarettes. Something here is not con-
sistent with the story regarding Wagner's T206 card.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on this great Forum.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: AParks

But is the Reccius Wagner a baseball card?

Old 11-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Administrator

I don't care if you call it a "baseball card" ... a "trade card" ... a "birthday card" ... or a "wild card"...

I don't regret buying it for a second!!

One-of-a-kind item featuring one of the biggest stars in vintage baseball folklore...

is right up my alley!!

Is the 1875 CdV of Candy Cummings with the Hartford Blue Stockings a "baseball card" in the strictest sense of the word?

NO... but I still love it!!

Is the one-of-a-kind 1894 Alpha Engraving or the 1904 Alleghany a "baseball card" in the strictest sense of the word?

NO... but who would turn those down??

Heck, is the T206 Ty Cobb with Ty Cobb back "really" a baseball card if it was never distributed??

NO... but everyone wants one!!

Old 11-24-2005, 07:24 AM
Administrator

TED:

The curator of the Cigar Museum says that there is a 99% chance that Henry Reccius DID NOT have any permission or authority from Wagner to use his image.

He says that using famous images back them without permission was pretty much common place.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Administrator

I would love to own it Hal -- I'm just yanking your chain. It's a great piece of memorabilia.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:49 AM
Administrator

I know, I know!

No hard feelings at all!

I'm just glad that my Reccius is getting ANY VOTES at all!!!

Old 11-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

In response to the issue of it being a tobacco product, this was 10+ years before T206s and
1. Maybe Wagner hadn't thought that much about smoking and the effect his image on any sort of enticement might have.
2. Maybe he didn't feel like a big enough superstar to stand in the way of something like this or,
3. Maybe he knew Henry Reccuuis and did it as a favor for a friend or the local cigar outfit.

I am just throwing out possibilites. It is all speculation.
JimB

Old 11-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Rehashed from an old thread about the 1919 "Honus Wagner" cigar box:

Listen to what the Curator of the National Cigar Museum had to say in response to my questions:

From Mr. Hyman:

Dime cigars were considered good cigars in 1900. Cigars sold for every price imaginable but nickle cigars were common goods, domestic and blended cigars, whereas dime cigars would be cuban filler and domestic or sumatra wrapper, a better grade cigar.

From me:

Am I correct in assuming that even though my card has a similar picture as the one on the 1919 cigar box... that they are in fact NOT RELATED???

From Mr. Hyman:

That is correct. They are not related. A label, a brand name, a picture...anyone could and would use it. As late as 1979 I interviewed a prominent Penn. cigar broker who had a cigar brand called DUTCH MAID with a full color pirate picture of the OLD DUTCH CLEANSER girl on their label. Not a take off. The EXACT girl from their well known product. "Isn't this copyright infringement?" I asked "Hell yes. But it will take them five years to find out and another five years to make me stop and by then I'll have sold all them damn cigars."
If that attitude was prevelant in the litigious modern day, how much more free do you think people were 100 years ago?

From me:

The 1899 Louisville City directory and the 1900 census both show Henry Reccius as a Cigar Maker in Louisville, does this match what you have on file?

From Mr. Hyman:

Yes. The Federally Assigned number for Henry Reccius was Fact. 45, 5th Dist. KY. By 1893, they were already assigning factory numbers in the 600's in the 5th tax district in Kentucky. So his is indeed a very early number. Reccius was obviously making cigars long before 1890, which is consistent with the US Census data you showed me on Reccius and his occupation.

From me:

Do you have any specific information on file at the museum as to when Reccius was selling these "HANS WAGNER" cigars mentioned on my card??

From Mr. Hyman:

Nope. The ONLY hope you'd have is if whomever he was making them for advertised them in the local paper. Most cigars were shipped somewhere and Reccius could have made those for someone anywhere in America.
Railroads shipped hundreds of thousands of cigars daily. I've got company records from an upstate NY company that made more than 100
brands selling from Chicago to Boston. The fact that the Reccius name was prominent in 1900 in Louisville ups the odds somewhat that it may have been sold there, but does not make it a certainty.

---------------------------------

Remember, there were two Reccius brothers who PLAYED major league baseball in Louisville in the 1880's and 1890's (John & Phillip), so the family name was HUGE in Louisville in the 1890's.

This fame and the fact that his brothers were former players would have made it VERY EASY for Henry to get unlimited access to the team and to Honus Wagner in order to get his permission to sell the cigars.

Henry Reccius was 48 in the 1900 census, John was 42, and Phil was 38.

Henry was born in Germany in 1852, but came over to America with his parents in 1854 and they settled in Louisville, where John and Phil were later born.

All of the family lived within 2 blocks of each other in and around the "Elliott Avenue" address from 1890-1900.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Administrator

BTW, those figures for a first, second and third year man are pretty awesome!

Like this one, too..it's be in some corner of the auction.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Hal,

Sounds like your working overtime to convince us of the date on the Wagner again. Seems like there was a huge thread about it where all of these arguments were made on all sides of the issue. It might be easier just to post a link to it. But here was the most convincing argument in the current thread:

Question from Hal:

"Do you have any specific information on file at the museum as to when Reccius was selling these "HANS WAGNER" cigars mentioned on my card??"

Answer from the Curator of the National Cigar Museum:

"Nope."

I'm not sure how that answer means it was from 1899 and not 1918, but I guess it does.

In all seriousness, though, the Reccius Wagner is a sweet item, whether it's from 1899 or 1918, whether it's a baseball card or a trade card or a birthday card. Whatever it is, it's extremely cool and one of the best Wagner items around! I know you are happy with it and as I'm sure you would freely admit, that is all that matters. Does the fact that I think it's from 1918 really change how you feel about it? I strongly doubt it. Does it make it any less valuable? No.

The fact that others are voting for your card shows that you are not alone in your belief of when the card was produced and how important it is.

Any way you slice it, the Reccius Wagner is a premier item.

-Ryan

Old 11-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Ryan:

Did I forget to tell you that Henry Reccius was from Cuba and brought these Hans Wagner cuban cigars over with him by boat in 1898?

Old 11-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

There ought to be a rule against rehashing threads that already have been beaten to death. In pace recciuscat, hope one or more of you Latin scholars get the pun.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Administrator

I knew those four years of Latin in High School would pay off some day!

Old 11-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Now you guys have done it. You have made Hal rehash the results of his time travel. Can you imagine what he is now going to make me pay for this?

Old 11-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

HAL

Maybe I've had too much Turkey today, or maybe I'm just
a Turkey....but, it's not just my thinking....BB players
depicted wearing suits and ties on cards are less desir-
able than players in uniform. On photos these depictions
look great; but, not on sportscards.

This could account for the overwhelming response in favor
of the T206 card of Wagner. So, don't feel disappointed
regarding your Reccius card.

It would be very interesting if another similar style poll was
conducted with tough Wagner cards like an E90-2, 1914 Cracker
Jack, M116 (BLUE), 1914 T216 Kotton (Peoples Tobacco Co.).

Old 11-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

My favorite Wagner image is a Sporting News Supplement:

I have a theory that his nose was broken later in his career.

Patrick

Old 11-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

because I LOVE cards depicting players in suits and ties. I know of one other board member that feels the same way. That's one of the reasons why I enjoy the e107 set so much....so many great suits, ties, bowties, and even a few tuxedos! Whoo nellie. Oh, and I'd take the e107 Wagner over the t206 any day of the week.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Administrator

This one ain't exactly, hay, either...