NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Default My burning and off topic question

Posted By: Hankron 

Did Bronco Nagurski have a 1950s Exhibit Supply Co. wrestling card? I have something related to the card, but have not found evidence that the card itself was actually made (There were Exhibit wrestling cards in the 1950s). From what I have, it is obvious that Exhibit planned on including Nagurski in the issue, but perhaps they aborted his card.

Old 09-29-2003, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Below is what the card would look like. And, for the those aren't into vintage football memorabilia, in that genre Bronco's of similar stature as Christy Mathewson or Joe DiMaggio.

Old 09-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

...his opponent's head? ...or worse?

Old 09-29-2003, 04:42 PM
Administrator

It's a wrestling grip so dangerous, I fear potential liability if I were to reveal to the untrained public.

Old 09-30-2003, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Baron Von Raschke's The Claw was deadliest of all wrestling holds. How come you never see anyone use it anymore?

Jay

Old 09-30-2003, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Adams

Or should I say Joe Scarpa (the Italian "Indian") had such a devastating knee lift that his opponents would literally "fly" (jump) over the ring ropes even if he missed. I imagine that it was so powerful, that even just the concussion of the air coming off of his knee from his signature move made them "sail" (jump) over the ropes!

You don't see that kind of signature move anymore (Thank God)!

Old 09-30-2003, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

all wrestling matches on t.v. were in black and white (the whole world was in black and white), and the really great wrestlers had beer bellies and wore ski masks. They also had titles befitting their importance, like "Doctor" and "Professor". Those were the days...

Old 09-30-2003, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M (ramram)

My hometown of Kansas City, as I recall, was where a lot of the All Star Wrestling had its infancy. Bulldog Bob Brown, Handsome Harley Race, Rufus R. Jones et. al. I always wondered if these names were just of local fame or do these names ring a bell outside of the midwest area? There also was, for years and years, twin elderly ladies (80+ years old) who sat in the front row of every wrestling match. Front and center if front of the camera, dressed identical, these gals would scream and beat the bejesus out of any wrestler that'd be unfortunate enough to come out of the ring near them. They were my grandfather's landladies (I think that'd be the name of female landlords). That was my claim to near fame as a child growing up.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Administrator

I know squat about wrestling, but as I litte kid did see 'The Claw' on tv. He had to be handcuffed to the ropes by policmen. After that, when I didn't clean my room or such, my dad would threaten me with the claw grip.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I used to go to wrestling matches too. I actually have an ex-uncle who was somewhat of a wrestler....kind of small time but professional.. I used to remember seeing the likes of Wahoo McDaniels (ex-pro football player), the Von Eric's brothers (most have died from roids and overdosing and were from Dallas), and all of the guys that used to wear the masks...almost too many to name....yes, those were the days....regards all

Old 10-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Administrator

I talked to the head of a group of wrestling card experts who have created an extensive checklist for vintage wrestling cards. He said that the Nagurski Exhibit wresting card is no known to exist.

On a side note, he said he had the Exhibit wrestling card of Don Eagle, and there is only one example known to exist. I own the original photo for that card too, and on a sheet of paper aross the front the printers specifically said that the card was to be removed from printing and replaced with another wrestler.

So my question has been asked to reasonable satisfaction.

Old 10-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted

In doing some research on Bronco Nagurski, I found a story about his owning a gas station in Minnesota after his sports career. They say that once somebody when to Bronco's station to get gas, they had to come back. Was it because of price or service quality? No! He put the gas cap on so hard, that nobody else could remove it.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Yes, there was a Nagurski exhibit cards made in the 1930s. An example sold on Ebay earlier this year for several hundred dollars.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Daniels

ex uncle? lol

Old 11-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Thanks Adam. A wrestling card collector mentioned to me that one was found and sold.

I have a pile of the original art for the 1930s-50s wrestling cards. My retired dad and his friend visited and were looking through my stuff. They got the biggest kick at the wrestling art, as they remembered watching the wrestlers on tv as kids ... My dad said he always thought it was 100% real, but, remembering back, the action ended just before commercial time ... He said the getting old Bronco was only a wrestling referee when he was a kid, but that didn't stop him from taking out a wrestler from time time time if the wrestler didn't follow commands.

Below is the original art for the 1930s card. Nagurski was 6'2" and 235 pounds, which is a decent size fullback in today's NFL. Can you imaging how hard it was for a college football player to tackle him in the 1920s?!?

Old 11-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bobc

Here is an example of the illegal hold in practice. That's Bronco on the left.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

looked entirely, completely, utterly and absolutely PHONY--I never believed a minute of any of them. College wresting, on the other hand, is a very serious sport, executed carefully by the rules. Attracts the intellectuals.