NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Default Frank Nagy/Honus Wagner Question

Posted By: bill smith

Hi I need to ask a question. I am Bill Smith and Frank Nagy was my Father In Law. I'm not a collector so I don't know the do's and don't's of the group here but this question is very important to my wife. She told me the other day as she was looking and her Dad's cards on Mastronet that she would love to know who got her Dad's Honus Wagner card. If the person who gets it doesn't want to be known I understand, but like her Father my wife is very hard to buy for at Christmas so I thought I take a stab at finding out for her. I'm sorry if this question is out of line but when she went to Chicago to see her Dad's cards she broke down and it became very clear to me how hard it was for her to let her Dad's cards go. Also if the person or person's who get this card prefers they can contact me privately at bsmith48134@yahoo.com. This goes for anyone who would like to ask any questions of me or my Wife, Brenda.
Again I'm sorry if I'm out of line!

Old 11-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

This board strives to be helpful. Folks that buy these very high end cards are a little secretive sometimes but this board has worked wonders before. I have great hope you will be able to find out who. It's definitely against the Mastro rules to let out who a buyer is but in this circumstance if you speak with Doug A or Bill M they might be able to ask the eventual buyer for you. I know some Mastro folks visit this board, in lurker status, so your question is in the correct place. Also, please feel free to use our board if you need to....it must be very stressful to sell that wonderful collection. I have sold wonderful cards and there is always a little remorse... Good luck...

Old 11-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Tell your wife that I tried to buy it to give it back to her for Christmas... but my $100,000 bid got blown away!

In all seriousness, I think for sure that the seller will let you and probably several people know that he won the card.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Not necessarily. Many collectors are extremely private and many do not read the board. My guess is we probably won't find out. However, Mastronet may be willing to contact the buyer and pass along this request, and the buyer may be willing to speak with the family in confidence. I would say that is your best chance.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Do you know and would you be willing to share the story of how your Father in-law got this card? What year, how much he paid, any little story behind finding the card.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Barry:

While the buyer may wish to try and keep it a secret...

I just think it is too big to hide.

After all, this is the THIRD highest graded example of the BIGGEST baseball card in the World.

Seigel owns the PSA 8

Mastro owns the PSA 5

Heck...

we NEED to know who owns the GAI 3.5 in order to preserve the History of the Hobby!!!

Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

Hal, don't forget about the PSA 4 Wagner that was listed in SCP a year or so ago.

Doug

Old 11-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Administrator

OK, my bad.

This one will be the FOURTH highest.

But it still merits recognition and should NOT be buried somewhere secretly!

Old 11-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It does need to be noted that not ALL T206 Wagners are graded. I do believe there is at least one or more that would grade higher than a 4 and are not graded. Actually I am pretty sure of one.......regards

Old 11-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Administrator

These are NATIONAL TREASURES that need to be REGISTERED with some Federal Agency or the Library of Congress!!!

Even if the owners could maintain their secret identities ... it sure would be cool to have a COMPLETE log and scan of every "real" T206 Wagner that still exists!!

Old 11-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bill smith

Listen I know collectors of high end cards may wish to remain anonymous and I totally understand, after all for over 20yrs I heard Mr.Nagy say how important it was not to tell just anybody about him or his collection.
I just thought I'd try and get this info for my Wife as a gift. She got her catalog from Mastronet today and if she never finds out who got her Father's card she will always have that. I'd like to thank all of you for your reply's and wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. It's going to be a rough one here this year as this will be our first without Mrs. Nagy. I'll stay in touch if it's not a problem and all of you do the same. Thank You So Much!

Old 11-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

There is a board member who has a raw Wagner which would grade a 5. That said, we may like to know who buys it, but that doesn't mean we will know. To be continued.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

Got to love the raw Wagner T206s, which there are more of then you think, many of them that I know of are also in very good shape for the issue and will most likely never be graded.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I believe there are three Wagners in the ex to ex/mt range of which only one is graded (PSA 5).
JimB