NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Jimmy

Default Lelands to offer Nude photo of Joe DiMaggio at auction

Not sure if this has been posted already.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Old 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The photo has received a lot of mention on N.Y. radio, but I personally think running lots like this is in bad taste.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Joe M.

I'm pretty sure I would rather see Marilyn nude.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Default Ain't it the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
I'm pretty sure I would rather see Marilyn nude.

Joe
+1!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:26 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
i'm pretty sure i would rather see marilyn nude.

Joe
+10000000!!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Jimmy

I'd also vote for Marilyn...

Looks like media doesn't find Bob Feller as sexier as DiMaggio...

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...otographs-%282
Old 06-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Barry Sloate

There was recently a documentary about Bobby Fischer on HBO and it included a picture of him in the shower, nude from the back. How do they get these photos? Do the subjects even know what is going on?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Anthøny N. ex

they have at least one other item that I found even more tasteless.
I guess every auction house needs their niche.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Eric

The dude beside him looks like the town drunk trying to sober up. I hope this pic does not sell.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Dan Bretta

Every auction house on earth has auctioned a nude photo of Marilyn Monroe..If this in bad taste that surely is too right? I don't really have a problem with it at all..it's DiMaggio, he appears to have known a photographer was there.

And Barry regarding the photo of Bobby Fischer he knew he was being photographed too..that came from a series of photos taken by a Life magazine photographer who was one of his few friends.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Barry Sloate

Dan- given Fischer's obsession with privacy, and his generally bizarre behavior, I find it shocking he would allow that photo to be taken. And yet he did.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Saw it also

Barry, I happened to catch that HBO bio on Bobby Fischer. I have to say I was fascinated. I was a kid when he became famous in 1972 and remember the Spassky match but always wondered what happened to him. I was riveted watching that bio.

About the Joe D photo, hs agent claims its not him...but it pretty obviously is. I was thinking the same as some of the others, Marilyn had her naked photo plastered all over. It practically shows up in every auction in a 1950's calendar. So I guess turnabout is fair play...but what would you do with that thing??? LOL I collect McGwire memorabilia and during his heyday someone auctioned his game used, rookie jock strap! Again, what would you do with it?

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 06-13-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Louis
Louis Wi.ese

If I were a Mark McGwire collector, I'd wear it proudly.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Default Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Barry, I happened to catch that HBO bio on Bobby Fischer. I have to say I was fascinated. I was a kid when he became famous in 1972 and remember the Spassky match but always wondered what happened to him. I was riveted watching that bio.

About the Joe D photo, hs agent claims its not him...but it pretty obviously is. I was thinking the same as some of the others, Marilyn had her naked photo plastered all over. It practically shows up in every auction in a 1950's calendar. So I guess turnabout is fair play...but what would you do with that thing??? LOL I collect McGwire memorabilia and during his heyday someone auctioned his game used, rookie jock strap! Again, what would you do with it?
Hey Randall,
Wear it as a bizarre Halloween Mask? You'd definately get some puzzled looks...
Old 06-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Scott

I can remember when they auctioned off a KKK robe/outfit. Poor taste is nothing new, if it makes money, in some cases.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:34 PM

To Leland's credit, a few years ago, they did take out of the auction a piece of airplane from the crash that killed Clemente.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
To Leland's credit, a few years ago, they did take out of the auction a piece of airplane from the crash that killed Clemente.
Interesting logic you've got working there, Alan.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Interesting logic you've got working there, Alan.
Yeah, esp since they sold the Klan piece too...
Old 06-13-2011, 07:55 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

My buddy Bob is always busting my balls for "collecting pictures of men", as he likes to refer to our hobby, as though there's something gay about it. He's generally just screwing around though. But I'll tell ya. Just knowing that this is out there, and the fact that I don't want it in my collection, makes me feel a hell of alot better about my place in this hobby. The same can definitely not be said for whoever ends up with this...
Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 PM
$teve O.

I don't need a picture of Joe's junk. What's next Mantle taking a dump?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Every auction house on earth has auctioned a nude photo of Marilyn Monroe..If this in bad taste that surely is too right? I don't really have a problem with it at all..it's DiMaggio, he appears to have known a photographer was there.
agreed
Old 06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
edward broeth

the better question is where should i diplay this?

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Funny thing is DiMaggio's attorney is only doing Lelands a favor by discussing this and talking about legal action. It doesn't matter whether Lelands sells it or pulls it. They are getting a TON of free advertising from this listing. I have heard this discussed on a few music radio stations today. More site hits can only help their auction.

Chris

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Hope it doesn't get umm, pulled.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 AM
Barry Sloate

Good one Steve.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Hope it doesn't get umm, pulled.
WOW
Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

I was going to make a joke on another thread but thought it might be in just too poor taste. I see now I should have.

On the 40K mantle/maris photo the Ebay lister went on about how they were wearing the uniforms and facing each other. Sooo.... I was going to say that if they weren't wearing the uniforms the pic might be worth the asking price.

Yeah, it so dosen't work even now. Especially now.

On a serious note, I've seen less publicly acceptable photos that sold privately for a lot of money. (Camp liberation photos that were so bad I didn't even want to look at them - and I'm pretty thick skinned) I think they're in a museum collection now.

Steve B
Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Dave

Shower shots of athletes in those days are pretty common. The players may have thought they were only being shot from the chest or shoulders up.

Regardless, the picture was taken and it exists.

Don't know what lawyers could possibly do about the matter. It is what it is.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Alan, it is not to Lelands credit that they removed the Clemente items from their past auction or the concentration camp memorabilia from their current auction; it is to their shame that they offered items of that ilk for sale in the first place until the complaints from their customers drove them to take them down. One has to wonder at the thinking at Lelands. Considered in light of past offerings (KKK robe, Clemente plane crash pieces, concentration camp 'memorabilia'), it is apparent that whoever is making their consignment decisions suffers from an apalling lack of judgment and approaches business from the standpoint of what they can get away with rather than what is right. What's next, a used rape kit? Mass murderer autographs? As Joseph Welch said to Joe McCarthy: "Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?"

I'm Adam Warshaw and I approved this message.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-15-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Brock

I personally dont have a problem with them offering any of those items. Because they are still an auction house that does offer more than just baseball stuff. Even though you may not like it, there's still people who collect the KKK robe or stuff from the concentration camp. Because in the end, it is still part of history and people collect history.

i know a collector here has a piece of the Hindenburg, so is that in bad taste cause people died from that. I own a WW2 German helmet that was dug from a battle field, is that of bad taste. No because yes they were traffic events but its still part of history and people collect.

I only find it bad if you buy the stuff to cause trouble, liking wearing the robe or making jokes about the concentration camp.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I'm confused, this isn't "the old balls game" thread?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Janglin' Joe DiMaggio... Now I feel strange with my hand on his shoulder...

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 06-15-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
edward broeth

as someone else posted i do not know wht legal rights the dimaggio family has to try and end this auction, the photo is owned by someone else, unless it was stolen from the family i do not see them being able to tell people what they can sell.

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 06-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Dan Marke1

I received the auction catalog in the mail several weeks ago and found these photo auctions extremely disturbing.

First off, Lelands is hyping them as artistic boudoir photos -which they aren't. By definition, boudoir means seductively clothed female photos. These are nothing of the sort.

Second, the comparison of these to Marilyn Monroe nude photos is absurd. Monroe clearly consented to her photos and was financially compensated. We know nothing about the Dimaggio and Feller photos. They aren't even looking directly at the camera, so it's quite possible, if not highly probable that these photos were taken without their consent. Someone could have walked up with a concealed camera, quickly pulled out the camera, taken the photos and ran off before the victims could do anything about it.

I also find it intriguing that these photos didn't surface until after both Feller and Dimaggio died. If these are innocent forms of art, with no concerns of demeaning the individuals, or being sued by the individuals, why weren't they published years ago? In fact, why didn't Feller and Dimaggio pose nude for calenders or magazines as Monroe did if it's no big deal? It's a safe bet that they would have never wanted these to be made public.

Shame on Lelands and the moral degenerates who will try to buy these.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Scott

The more I read this, the more disturbed I am, by these "dealers". No need for this stuff to be there.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

The comments point out the difficulty with items like these, or any other controversial nature.
Personally I'm against the celebrity gained by certain "artists" whose only talent is to shock and offend then cover up what's basically offensive junk with some drivel of a description of its meaning. (Mostly the guy who built a career on putting stuff in jars of certain fluids)

But the reality is that the items exist. And if they're legal to own they must end up somewhere if the original owner doesn't want them. Or even when the second owner doesn't want them. I've had a few things like that turn up in collections of film or ephemera.

What's important is not the object, but the story and lesson it carries about the time that produced it. For some items that's an easy story to tell. For others it requires a bit more tact. And for some it's very hard to do that, occasionally requiring an entire museum to portray and teach the proper context. (The Museum of Jewish heritage in NY does a fine job of that with their holocaust related items) And even the best museums find some items worthy of keeping for study but almost impossible to display. The Smithsonian was given the worlds largest air sickness bag collection, over 900 ranging from the 30's into the 80's. They still haven't thought of a tasteful way to display them. - They also need to display objects that attract interested visitors, and I imagine interest in that collection would be pretty low.

Steve B
Old 08-26-2020, 03:28 PM
Tony Baldwin

So I was bored and thought I would go back and look at older posts. This one is from 2011. I don’t recall the Dimaggio photo back then, but I do recall the McGwire Jock Strap being up for auction. So I thought I would ask to see what kinds of crazy stuff have you all have seen since 2011.

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 08-26-2020 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-26-2020, 03:53 PM
Tony Baldwin

A urinal from the Pontiac Silverdome signed by Detroit Lions legend Barry Sanders sold on eBay for $3,000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D1ADCBD5-1771-4361-BDF3-C2021EB8F2CF.jpeg (12.8 KB, 415 views)
Old 08-26-2020, 04:44 PM

Wasn't there a nude photo of Mickey Mantle sold a few years ago? How about Joe Pepitone with a full frontal in Playgirl with his wig on back in the 70's.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebeckleyoldeagleeye View Post
Wasn't there a nude photo of Mickey Mantle sold a few years ago? How about Joe Pepitone with a full frontal in Playgirl with his wig on back in the 70's.
All of them definite must haves to prominently display on the family room wall...
Who could possibly care to collect these?

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-27-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
A urinal from the Pontiac Silverdome signed by Detroit Lions legend Barry Sanders sold on eBay for $3,000.
A urinal signed by Marcel Duchamp is in the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-29-2020, 08:54 PM
edward

Marcel Duchamp was an amazingly versatile artist, he worked in just about every medium you can think of.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
All of them definite must haves to prominently display on the family room wall...
Who could possibly care to collect these?
Got me! I guess that's a one of a kind item. What's funny is Joe Pepitone in his wig!