NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Default T206 Wagner reprint on ebay...Blah Blah Blah...

Does anybody know if the T206 Honus Wagner reprint exist with a Polar Bear back??? I'm trying to build a master reprint set . By the way, this ebayer gets some style points from me with his unique T206 Wagner angle boloney. Not your typical, found in the vest pocket of my dead grandpa story. I like it, to quote him......"To me it looks real and to usagrading it looks real but I'm not going to have it on my conscience by selling it as real so you, the buyer must decide and bid with your heart."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honus-Wagner-190...mZ180394292554

What a guy! Actually, I've trusted my heart before. Back in 1980 my heart told me the U.S.A. hockey team would beat the Russians and win the GOLD. In hindsight I was right! Regrettably, that was the last time my heart was correct on anything. I have the divorce scars to prove it and don't get me started on the Miami Dolphins. Moral of the story...... don't bid with your heart. Anybody that has ever bid in a Mastro auction can attest to this....

Lovely Day....
Old 08-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Tony N.

Default That's funny

I saw on the back of the phony slab the web address for the company that "graded" the card.

The website has nothing to do with card grading. I appears that the website domain can be purchased as well.

Tony
Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 PM
John

Default reprints+

not to mention that smart seller even has a neutral for selling a unitas rc reprint and then stats in his feedback reply ..
Reply by nflcardz2009 (Jul-29-09 13:54):
It was original. He didn't send to BGS. Look at my feedback It speaks for itself

so i checked his feedback, he bought a unitas reprint on june 4 and the seller left him feedback

SUPERFAST PAYMENT, AWSOME EBAYER, A PLEASURE DO DEAL WITH. AAAAAA+++++++ Seller: colejacob0103 ( 459) Jun-11-09 12:51
-- (#130310300070) -- View Item

what smart seller
Old 08-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Bill Cauley

These people never fail to amaze me. This same joker was on another board I was at a few months ago trying to push this card. He also had it on Craig's List at the very same time as well as on ebay. Called him out on the B.S., he disappeared, and I guess figures now that enough time has passed that it's time to try again.

What is wrong with people?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Frank Wakefield

Only because it was asked but not yet specifically answered, NO, the Wagner card was not available with a Polar Bear back.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Only because it was asked but not yet specifically answered, NO, the Wagner card was not available with a Polar Bear back.
Wait a second, you mean this card is a fake??? What about your heart??? Does your heart tell you that T206 Honus'es were printed with Polar Bear backs? Afterall, that is all that matters.

Lovely Day...
Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Mark Kirk

Default It's gone now

Looks Like Ebay took it down

Last edited by Minerscoin; 08-09-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Ebay listened
Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Steven Finley

If one of us intentionally won the auction knowing that card is completely bogus, could fraud charges still be filed?
Old 08-09-2009, 02:23 AM
Mark Kirk

NO
Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Mark, good post. I'm usually of the opinion that the buyers deserve what they get. But you have me thinking about the part where a collectors wife may buy it thinking they are doing something nice....what a kick in the butt that would be.

But as far as fraud is concerned, I think that would be with the "third-party grader" that authenticatd it. Clearly the grader knows it's not a 1909 card. That's the fraud part. (Maybe that's who you were referring to, not clear). Plus the flip is clearly a knock-off of PSA. PSA could easily force a change there.

Yes I know, the authenticator and seller are likely one and the same.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Frank Wakefield

Sorry Iggy. I thought you'd asked about authenticity AND if the real cards were available with a PB back. After reading your smartass response I reread your post. And I see that you were asking about whether REPRINTS were available with a PB back. I was trying to help with yesterday's post... I now see you really didn't want any help.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Barry Sloate

I agree that the most appalling part of this is the holder that authenticates the card. This is how a beginner can really get burned. I would assume these holders are homemade, as even the worst grading company should know better.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default short answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerscoin View Post
This guy is nothing but a criminal. He knows exactly what he is doing is criminal. The cards he sells are most likely just laser copies he made himself. I know most of you will say whomever buys his cards deserves to get ripped off. I understand that stance to a degree but many people are not as educated about these kinda cards as you guys. Even though he does claim his cards are reprints they are NOT authorized reprints but nothing more than copies he has made himself. I hate to see these criminals steal people's money no matter if the people buying these pieces of paper should do research it is flat out fraud. I beg anyone with influence with Sleezebay to stop this guys auctions and have him kicked off. He knows exactly what he is doing is is fraud but people just sit back and watch and say oh well that dumbass that buys that piece of paper gets what he deserves. It makes the hobby look bad and does nothing but harm the credibility of the hobby. Wonder for a second if it might be a persons girlfriend or wife thinking they are getting a good deal for their boyfriend or husband only to find out they were screwed big time. It is fraud and some innocent people could be caught up in this only to find out they were screwed. And my buddies wonder why ebay sucks these days. Too many people sit back and watch others get ripped off everyday and it is a shame. they should have known better right? No these people prey upon the uneducated.
If it happened in a local store they would be charged with fraud. Hope you guys get the gist of my point. Ebay sucks and I hope they go bellyup. I will never buy or sell on ebay and have not for 10 months. And Craigslist should be shut down as well. I caught a local guy that stole a pic off of a major dealers website of a rare gold coin the other day. He was selling the coin he did not even own for $19,000 in SanDiego and he lives in KY. It was shut down but just think if he was able to rip someone for $19,000. Craigs List would claim no responsibilty which totally blows my mind. I could go on and on about these fraudsters. Man this really pisses me off.
Well, ebay has deemed me some kind of expert so I think I have a tad bit more pull than someone that hasn't gotten the same designation. Not that it matters a whole lot but I guess when I report something they look with a more serious eye. I reported a guy a few weeks ago that had some good cards and some bad cards and so ebay takes all of his cards down. He does have about 2000+ perfect feedback so is obviously a decent seller othewise. We traded emails and he was very unhappy. So he comes up to me at the National and shows me 2 of his good cards that got graded and started screaming at me, (he was deaf but was definitely getting his point across literally jumping up and down in front of my table). He and a few friends were saying what an aweful person I was blah blah blah. I told him that the 2 cards he was showing me were in fact real, and had been slabbed by PSA correctly. It was some of the other cards he was selling, and obviously didn't know about, that were fake. And of course the fakes weren't slabbed. I even pointed him to our section on the board about spotting fakes. The guy (an older guy,maybe in his 50's...sort of like where I will be soon) wanted to go outside and fight....I told him to just leave my table and eventually he did. I get home and he sends me another email stating more of what he said at the National. He STILL has the fake M101-4 Wagner on ebay and it is still fake right now. That is a reason I don't get too involved anymore, most of the times. It's just not worth it. Ebay should hire enough people/experts to take care of stuff themselves......regards

here is a link to his auction ......at first he didn't try to have it slabbed so there was no mention of PSA actually getthing this right, although this guy is still hedging in his description....I am sure he's not a bad guy otherwise....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1916-Sporting-Ne...d=p3911.c0.m14

Last edited by Leon; 08-09-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

I guess the sad thing about this fake is the price he's going to get for it.
Am i selling the wrong t206 cards?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Mark, regrettably I'm not really sure the hobby can do to anything with scams like this. If you browse eBay every day (as I do), you see beginners getting burn with baseball cards almost on a daily basis. It certainly gives all collectibles a black eye, but eBay facilitates this and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people willing to take a chance with that ungraded '33 Goudey Babe Ruth card. Until they (eBay) clamps down on scams (yeah right!) all we can do is point them out. Of course, it doesn't help that eBay has done exactly the opposite....they have made it almost impossible for ebayers to track shill bidders and fraudulent sellers. Regrettably, there are just too many of them and after a while we all grow indifferent to the situation.

Frank, my sincere apologies! I realize you were just trying to help. My intent was not to be a "smart ass" but I can live with being a "smart alleck" ...

Lovely Day...
Old 08-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Scott

I beleive Ebay requires certain cards (Wagner, Joe Jackson, etc.) to be "authenticated" by actual grading companies (SGC, PSA, and to a lesser extent GAI or BVG).

I asked a couple of questions to the seller and reported the item. I don't want to be a buttinski, but things like this should not be allowed to happen.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Jim VB

And, just like that, enough of us report it, and it's gone.

Last edited by Jim VB; 08-09-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Mark Kirk

Default Way to go Guys

Jim is right it is gone.
Anybody have a link to his other auctions. I lost it somehow.
Ebay did there job in this case. Must have got a lot of complaints. He will be back though. I guess you could spend every waking hour reporting fakes on ebay. What a wonderful place ebay has become! Ha
Much much safer buying on this forum for sure.
Thanks Leon
I did get little harsh last nite but too many Guinness will do that.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerscoin View Post
Jim is right it is gone.
Anybody have a link to his other auctions. I lost it somehow.
Ebay did there job in this case. Must have got a lot of complaints. He will be back though. I guess you could spend every waking hour reporting fakes on ebay. What a wonderful place ebay has become! Ha
Much much safer buying on this forum for sure.
Thanks Leon
I did get little harsh last nite but too many Guinness will do that.

Here is the link to his other auctions.... http://shop.ebay.com/nflcardz2009/m.html

Actually, this guy is quite creative so he will definitely try again. If you look at what he has purchase in the past.......it has been a combination of reprints and authentic cards. Apparently, he sometimes sells 'LOTS" containing both prewar and post-war cards. The "lots" seem to have a combination of authentic and a few reprints sprinkled-in for profit margin. Purely based on his ebay handle, we can only hope that once the NFL season starts he will disappear for awhile. Darn footballers!!!

Lovely Day...
Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Am I the only one who noticed that the fake "USA" holder was deliberately designed to look like a PSA holder? This no doubt would help the seller fool his target audience of collector's wives/husbands, novices, etc.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Some of the raw cards he (nflcardz2009) has sold in the last month, including a 1957 Topps Johnny Unitas and a 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax, look like homemade reprints.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
Some of the raw cards he (nflcardz2009) has sold in the last month, including a 1957 Topps Johnny Unitas and a 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax, look like homemade reprints.

unfortunately the unitas he sold he actually bought on ebay, and when he bought it it was sold to him as a reprint. he then turned around and sold is a the real deal. the seller filed a paypal complaint and had his money returned.