NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Default "brush with greatness"

Posted By: Chris

So some of the posts from the "old timers" have been really great. I was wondering if anyone would like to share any stories of conversations, trades, buy ,sell or just general experiences with some of the pioneers of the hobby like Burdick, Nagy, Carter, Bray etc. It would be great to hear some stories. Maybe someday someone will write a book about the pioneers of the hobby. Much like Lawrence Ritter realized in the 60's that someone should interview some of these old ball players, I think someone should interview some of the dinosaurs of the card collecting hobby that are left. LOL. Just kidding. I have had a renewed interest in this board recently with the true collecting stories that have been shared recently. Anybody have anything they want to share? Any great stories of discovering "new" cards that everybody knows about now?

Old 11-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

(Via e-mail)

"But, if it's a Buck Barker card (the Dummy Hoy with Barker writing on the back), why doesn't he put that little notiation at the bottom, saying the name of the guy he bought it from, and the date he bought it?"
"I'll ask him next time I see him" (conversation took place in 2003)
" Last line of "Blood Simple," no?"
"Love Coen Bros. movies."

Old bear...hope Lew counts, even though he's still here--in fact, younger than I am!

Old 11-19-2005, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I guess the greatest find I had a chance to be a part of occurred in 1998 when I got a call from a man in New Mexico who was cleaning out his garage and found his childhood baseball card collection. He had a batch of 1933 Goudeys, all with the ads cut off, and two U.S. Caramels. One was Lou Gehrig, his favorite player, and the second one he had no idea why he saved it- Lindy Lindstrom. At the time, only a single copy of that card was known, and it was cancelled. He had just uncovered the only clean example in existence. Fortunately we hit it off well and he allowed me to auction it for him. I always felt that he probably saved it because he was the only one on his block who had one, since it was originally severely short-printed so kids could never finish the set. I've handled many great pieces over the years, but that one is right up there with my favorites.

Old 11-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Administrator

great collectibles. Anyway, one of us looks silly.

Old 11-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Julie- his last sentence mentions "any stories of finds of great cards." That's why I told the story I did.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator

On the whole, a lousy series of posts on my part---Barry has some gray in his beard too, what?

The Sloates let me stay in their house when I was visiting Brooklyn (and sister--couple of blocks away, with miniscule apartment--unless you count ceiling height!)). Barry was getting ready for an auction, and had, amoung other things, a complete set of Dukes--the first ones I'd ever seen. They were real nice people, and very hospitable. I remember it was the weekend Joe DiMaggio died; coincidentally, I'd brought my rookie Joe (WWG '36) with me-along with way too many other cards--to show Barry and my sister, who complained that there were too few American League ones.

Many of the houses in Cobble Hill, where Barry lives, are 19th century, including Barry's (so's my sister's, in Brooklyn Heights, next neighborhood). They had a few antiques, basebvall and other photos on their walls--I imagine there're more by now!---including the surround for their fireplace, beautifully carved, and original to the building I wanted to get them something REALLY old as a thank=you gift, and found a tiny, 17th century blue-and-white porcelain jarlet--aa it turned out--the Asian Art Nuseum store had set the date a little earler: 1644, latest), on the bottom of which the firer or the glazier had left a thumbprint. Wow--prehistoric Chinese thumbprint! Barry's wife called to say "Julie, it's the OLDEST THING IN THE HOUSE!" That's what i wanted!

Probably isn't any more...gee, they're fnding 18th century true baseball engravings, and much earlier ones of some ball-and-bat game...

Anyway, thank you Sloates, for a great few days!

Old 11-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I caught the bug of vintage collecting with the help of Bill Mastro. It was at a show shortly after the Metrodome opened. He was set up but only brought 2 brief cases of cards, both filled with pre-WWII items. Bill was very gratiuos and let this 17 yr old kid look at the items and answer my questions. I was fasinated with the Pulliam cigar label and he told me the story behind Mr. Pulliam (Nat'l League President that committed suicide shortly after resigning). I ended up buying a T202 Just Before the Battle with Bresnahan/McGraw end panels, I believe $50 (drained most of my buying funds). I still have the card to this day. I also have since purchase the Pulliam cigar label, which is my picture by my name.

I have always remembered that that encounter and how friendly and willing to answer my questions. I have been able to relay this story to Bill and thank him.

It may be kind of non-dinosoourish but that my story,

Lee

Old 11-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Administrator

The blue and white porcelain was sitting on the marble fireplace since your visit, and we love it- but recently my cat jumped on the mantlepiece so we moved it to safer quarters. We enjoyed your visit but I do not remember that it was the week that DiMaggio died- that would make it 1999. I was working at Sotheby's then. Time surely does fly. P.S.- my beard is a lot grayer now, for sure.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

The 1st few years I returned to this hobby I concentrated
on my original Bowman, Leaf, and 1952 Topps cards which I
had from youth. Upgrading and completing these sets. While
doing this I met Ralph Triplette from the Smokey Mtn. area
of North Carolina who had identical collecting experiences
as a kid as I did. And, he too, saved his original cards from
the late '40s and early '50s.
Eventually, we became co-authors on a mystery solving article
published in the BB Card Magazine in 1981 on the 1949 Bowman
set.
It was Ralph who introduced me to Frank Nagy's monthly mail
auction. And, it was Frank, who broaden my BB card collecting
interests to pre-War issues. Tobacco cards, Cracker Jacks,
Goudeys, Diamond Stars, and PlayBalls....Frank included all
of them (and of course post-War cards) in his auction. Each
monthly mailing was a pamphlet with "tons" of material.
And, get this....he did not bill you....he sent all the cards
you won on APPROVAL. Everyone was on the honor system with
Frank. Furthermore, he would include with the cards a page, or
so, of handwritten commentary on the cards. Frank and I had
many interesting "conversations", I learned a lot from him.

The best, though, I left for last.....if Frank thought you
over-bid on a card, he would modify your bid and charge
you less. And, he would provide a lengthy explanation with
his billing....JUST AN AMAZING MAN.

Old 11-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Administrator

but I know it was the Joe D weekend, maybe because--see, I wasted a whole 1 1/2 days getting INTO Chicago to change planes for N.Y (SNOW) and you didn't know that, so you assumed I'd brought the Joe because of his death--you thought I hadn't left home till after he died--I guess. I remember I spent the first night at a motel near the airport--I think--boy, what a memory!!!--and then came to your place.

The only things I'm sure of are 1) Joe D dying, after I was on the way and
2) the four Dukes.

Maybe it was for Sotheby's, and not your own auction. Could you have been doing both at the same time?

Guess this should adjourn to e-mails...

Old 11-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator

I've had my beard for a very long time, and that set of Duke cabinets was in my auction. Those I remember well.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Joe died in March (just looked).

Old 11-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

The "Sports Collectors Bible" opened up an new world for me. Cards of Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth-I was hooked. Soon I was receiving SCD in the mail-before Krause publishing, and chomping at the bit to buy my first cards. I saw a ad for T206's from Wirt Gammon. The ad said send a want and it would be filled for 2.00 each. Using my birthday money I sent him my list of 10-all HOFers of course and waited anxiously for a package. Less than a week later a letter arrived. It explained that the ad had been for common T206's not the stars. Then the letter went on with friendly collecting advice which softened the blow of not getting the cards-or so I thought. Looking in the envelope again I pulled out a folded piece of paper-a list of all the HOFers in T206 he had available with a note saying that I could pick 9 on this list for the price he had stated in the ad. Neatly tucked in the folds of the list was the tenth card,a black cap Mathewson in VG-Ex condition.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bill smith

Hello, I just joined to say a couple of things about my Father in Law Frank Nagy. I married Mr. Nagy's only Daughter in 1973. Mr. Nagy not only took young collectors under his wing but took a poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks into his family. I came to admire this man more that I can ever say in this short post, but over the coarse of 20 some years I became a better Man just from words of wisdom he was willing to share with me. I'm not a collector so I'm not sure if this is allowed or not but I have needed to say this for a long long time. Thanks

Old 11-23-2005, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Bill- I've been in the hobby since 1982 but regret that I never had the opportunity to deal with Frank Nagy. Sounds like I missed a chance to meet a really special person. Glad you took the time to post.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Bill Smith

Thanks for posting and I would like to add to my earlier
post on this Thread regarding you Father in Law. I still
have most of the cards I won from Frank's auction and I
still have many of his notes that he so graciously wrote
to me. I first subscribed to his auctions in 1981 and con-
tinued into the '90s until he stopped them. The quality and
the scope of his auction material has not been surpassed
since. You always knew if you won a BB card that he had de-
scribed as Excellent to Ex/Mint, that you would receive one
that was Near Mint.

And, he knew his customers very well. He would write to me
in advance of his next auction, telling me that certain cards
that he knew I needed would be available in his forthcoming
auction. I can't really express to you how much I appreciated
him doing this and especially for knowing him. I only regret
that I never met Frank in person.

Bill, may you and your Family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.