NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Default Grading Companies 1-10

Posted By: George

I know there was a post about some of the grading companies a while back but I can't find the thread. I have never sent anything to a grading company and with all of the complaints, I am not sure if I should. If you have tobacco cards and regular Topps, etc. which grading company would you use? Would you use one for tobacco cards and one for others, etc. How would you rate the grading companies in rank order(as well as a 1-10 overall ranking), and ones to completely avoid? Thanks for all your input on experiences with grading companies.

Old 11-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Seaborn

1. SGC - nobody's perfect, but inmy mind they're the best. Especially when considering vintage material. very friendly too.

2. GAI - Still notvused that much, but clearly gaining momentum and, in my opinion, has passed PSA.

3. PSA - still the giant in terms of numbers, but that's also their downfall. To worried about an assembly line mentality. Poor customer service, much more concerned with modern cards (b/c that's where they can get more submissions = more $$$). their cards still sell a good penny though (more than SGC on some issues like T206's- although they are slipping, less on others like T202's and most caramel cards). Again, only my opinion, although the latter statement can be supported by data.

4&5. SCD & Beckett - just haven't cracked into the vintage market. Much more geared for modern cards. I don't even know if they have the expertise necessary for evaluating the few vintage cards that they have (maybe,I just don't know).

6. You probably don't want any company past the "Big 3" and you certainly don't want any of these. This would include PRO (known for trimmed cards), AAA (I won't vengo there), NASA (ditto),and any other three letter abbreviations.

Old 11-15-2003, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

1. SGC - agreed. They have their problems, but they listen when we offer criticism.

2. SCD - so far, so good. The graded cards I've seen have been accurate, and few mistakes (I can't recall any so far). Low profile, but that's not all bad.

3. GAI - I don't like a lot of what they've done, but they are still better than PSA or Becketts. I would prefer their grading scale be the same as PSA and SGC, but I guess they have their marketing strategy and if it works - more power to them. A lot of collectors who I respect use them.

4. Beckett - way too many grading errors and ridiculous marketing experiments.

5. PSA - hey, if you want your cards to have value when slabbed, this company is at the top. I occasionally buy their stuff if the price is right, but I buy the slab rather than the card (just like their customers do), and I try not to look too closely - when I re-sell, I realize that customers are buying the PSA label and couldn't care less what's inside the plastic slab, so I feel no guilt - besides, PSA customers feel that PSA is perfect and would never complain.

6. agreed - waste of time going any lower on the list.

Old 11-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

In terms of accuracy and presentation of the finished product there are only two choices: GAI and SGC. Both are quality companies that will go the extra mile for their customers. They have the best and most qualified graders in the hobby. Nobody else comes close. Each of its customers is given personal attention and nobody is more important than the next.

Both SGC and GAI are well respected for their vintage cards. PSA graded cards will generally sell for a little more, but only due to the Set Registry and for the reasons explained by Scott. That trend is changing as clearly illustrated in last nights Mile High auction.

Old 11-16-2003, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

based on personal experience:

1) GAI
2) SGC
3) PSA
4) SCD
5) Everybody else, except
Last) PRO and AAA
The caveat is ASA cards. Some are obviously trimmed (I know, I have bought some of them early on, but many are simply overgraded a grade or two). You can still find deals on cards in ASA holders if you buy the card and not the holder. Ditto the ocassional VGish card in a PRO holder. For some bizarre reason, PRO grades trimmed cards and altered cards and assigns their NMT and MT grades to them and yet also grades VGish cards rather fairly. The problem is you rarely find these floating around. AAA is a joke.

Old 11-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scarecrow

Any comments on PGA graded cards? I see a lot of them on E-Bay but don't own any. They seem to be fairly graded from what I could see.

Old 11-16-2003, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

isn't that a golf tour?

Old 11-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

My concern is not the difference between GAIs and PSAs of the world, but between the have and have not graders ... Say an elderly woman, not familiar with collecting but who had done some research, came to me and said she wanted to buy a lower grade (say Vg) 1933 Goudey Wait Hoyt for her grandson, as Hoyt was her uncle. She was concerned about fakes and wanted to give something nice for her grandson, so she wanted to get one graded by a legitimate grader. Having seen one for sale in a GAI holder, she wanted to know if grader that was okay. "That grader is well known as a legitimate grader" I would say ... If she said PSA, SGC, perhaps one or two others, I would give her the same response ... If she said PRO or AAA I would recommend she not buy the card.

So, my general concerns are with normal, thoughtful beginners who want to get legitimate opinions from third-person companies, in order to get the items they want and to avoid fakes.

Old 11-16-2003, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I will also note that a lot of it depends on expectations of the collector. There is a big difference between Mrs. Hoyt trying to get a nice, lower grade Hoyt and someone trying to snag a Gemmest Gem Mint SI for Kids Juan Lebron for investment purposes. For the later, discection of Beckett V PSA is worth the time.

Old 11-16-2003, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Thank all of you for the valuable input. This is a big decision these days. G.

Old 11-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

If you buy a graded card (because that's the only way you can find it), and want to get it out of the holder, GAI is very difficult, but Beckett--you have to take one of those vice grip plyers and break the edges off. Either of which, as far I'm concerned, is better than PSA--what a lot of disappointment they've given me!

Old 11-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

not having done much vintage grading (besides the T206 "Florida Find"), check out the auction on Pages 78-79 of this week's (Dec. 5) issue. This is only the tip of the iceberg of vendor-fresh 1960s cards to come.

Old 11-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

Where can you pick up the SCD?

Old 11-19-2003, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Because of its weekly frequency, SCD is virtually a subscriber-only publication. Some card shops handle it. Tell you what . . . the first auction ends Dec. 8. Send me a private e-mail with your mailing address and I'll put a copy of the 12/5 issue in the mail to you. This offer is valid for any non-subscriber.