NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Default O/T - SABR Publishes 2009 Baseball Guide - Its FREE

Posted By: Tom Hufford

As a founding member and current member of the Board of Directors of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR), I'm extremely pleased to announce that SABR has just published the Emerald Guide to Baseball 2009.

And, we are giving it away FREE.

Yes, we said "giving away." The guide, which fills the hole in the baseball record left by the 2006 demise of The Sporting News Baseball Guide, contains detailed statistics for every player at every level of the professional game, team histories, and up-to-date team contact information and schedules.

Baseball fans anywhere in the world - both SABR members and non-members - can download the PDF version of the book free of charge from the SABR website at www.sabr.org.

Edited by acclaimed baseball historians Gary Gillette and Pete Palmer, The Emerald Guide distills the 2008 season down to 586 fact-filled pages that contain the pitching, fielding, and hitting statistics for each player active in the major and minor leagues in 2008. As with the classic Sporting News Guides, the Emerald Guide also features team-by-team daily results, a directory of important contacts, a synopsis of the just-completed season, and much more. A bound version is available via print on demand at Lulu.com for $23.95. Every page in the bound edition is in the PDF.

Why are we doing this? Well, part of SABR's mission is to disseminate the history and record of baseball, and that's exactly what we're doing. If you find this book valuable, please consider joining SABR if you aren't already a member. And feel free to send friends and family to www.sabr.org so they can get their free PDF of The Emerald Guide to Baseball 2009.

Here's to the game we all love.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

That there were some minor issues with the original download and they have been fixed. If you responded immediately to Tom's request -- the few errors will be fixed for you free of charge.

Regards
Rich

Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Ray

Thanks so much for making this a free download. In this day and age,that's startling!

I d'loaded it.

First thing I went to ,since I'm a stats junkie and a Mets fan,is the Mets all-time leaders.

COMPLETELY LEFT OUT are Steady Eddie Kranepool's leader stats (page 25) from any Mets All Time leader boards.

He's their A-T leader,for instance,in G, AB,doubles,to name a few. Off the top of my head I know this.

That,to me,is a pretty big error. And I haven't moved on to another team yet.

Anyway,aside from this omission I noticed within the first few minutes of perusing this tome, It looks like a great read. Is something like this going to be fixed in future versions?

Thanks

Rob

Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Hufford

Rob,

Many thanks for letting us know about the omission of Ed Kranepool from the Mets leaders list. Sometimes grinches get to work and foul things up. In this case, it looks like not only Kranepool, but most players whose name began with "K" disappeared from the leader boards. Who knows how!

Anyway, supposedly this has been corrected, and you can go ahead and download the corrected version of the PDF now. That's whats great the PDF download being free!

Tom

Old 03-13-2009, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Ray

Tom: I attempted to d'load the update,but the site wouldnt let me. I forget what the message stated, as I'm at work presently.
I'll try again tonight.
Thanks;except for the computer causing the "K"-player omissions,this is an exceptional work.
Rob