NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Default autograph contest

Posted By: sean

Hi all,

I dont know if this is legal here on not but I love the contests so I wanted to start one of my own.
Here is my contest:
Post your rarest player autograph from 1930-1940. By rare I dont mean most valuable but instead toughest to get. You will be judged on how few there are and what it is on (so if two people post equally rare players and one is on a 3x5 and one is on a team pic, the team pic one will obviously win). You can post as many times as you want but the deadline is tuesday, May 22, 8:00PM central.
ONCE AGAIN, IF THIS IS FROWNDED UPON, I APOLOGIZE. I JUST WANNA JAZZ THINGS UP A BIT.

Since I am a low income collector, the prize is modest but still pretty cool.
The prize will be a 1936 goudey fien pen reprint signed by Tony Piet.
Here is a scan of the prize:

I am gonna start things off by posting my own. I am only gonna post once to keep things fair but I think this is a great one to gte things started.:

Good luck all!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I have a 1937 Dodgers signed ball with Heinie Manush, who I think was a tough autograph. Probably not very rare though. There may be rarer signatures on this ball...I don't know?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Did I win????

Just kidding.....Are there no other 1930-40 autographs out there?

Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Vincent

Yea . . . I know this post is five months late. Somehow I missed seeing this thread back in May. But while late, I think I have an item of interest (and or rarity), especially to fans and collectors of vintage Detroit Tigers autographs.

I do not personally own this Clyde Hatter signed original Burke 4x6 photograph. Same old sob story; vintage autograph dealer Jim Stinson sold it to another collector, just prior to my phone call to purchase. But even though I lost out on purchasing this rare, signed photo, it’s still causes me to smile in appreciation of having had the opportunity to view it.

Clyde Hatter was born on August 7, 1908, in Poplar Hills, Kentucky. His first major league appearance was the Detroit Tigers, on April 23, 1935. Hatter spent the 1936 season in the minor leagues, but returned to the big leagues in 1937. His last major league appearance occurred early in that season, on May 10, 1937. Over the two seasons (1935, 1937) he played with Detroit, he appeared in 11 games, of which he was credited with 1 win versus 0 losses. His limited use might be explained by his career 8.44 ERA. Clyde Hatter died shortly after the conclusion of the 1937 regular season, on October 16th, of an apparent heart attack. Age . . . 29!

So I would hazard to guess this photo would have been signed between 1935 and 1937. Not a very large window of opportunity, for such an obscure ballplayer.