NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default Screw the Bonds balls...there's tons of our stuff in the new SCP/Sotheby's auction

Posted By: Joseph

Lots of early memorabilia and cards in this auction. Use the drop down menu in
the link below for easy perusal:

http://www.scpauctions.com/scpauctions/Auction.cfm

The auction contains a few advertising pieces that have caused problems in the hobby for years now, among them a PINCH HIT tobacco sign and the don't-touch-with-a-ten-foot-pole KEN-WEL Lou Gehrig sign.

The Ken-Wel sign is so tainted that it doesn't have a single bid yet. Anyone care to elaborate?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default Screw the Bonds balls...there's tons of our stuff in the new SCP/Sotheby's auction

Posted By: Aaron M.

Alot of nice items in the Internet-only SCP Auction (and for those wondering, the buyer's premium is still listed as 20%, despite Sotheby's recent announcement it was raising the buyer's premium to 25%). I would rate it as slightly better than a typical Mastro Collector Classic in terms of quality of material offered.

For those interested, I believe the Christy Mathewson "A Fan For A Fan" is real (though not in the best shape), but would love to hear other's opinions.

http://www.scpauctions.com/scpauctions/LotDetail.cfm?Lot_ID=11210

The Ty Cobb Stall & Dean trophy is another nice item. It usually sells for over $3,000, but this one is in pretty rough shape, so it should sell for significantly less.

http://www.scpauctions.com/scpauctions/LotDetail.cfm?Lot_ID=12644

Old 08-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

I would love to hear on Ken Wal. I thought another reputable dealer had one on ebay recently.

I had heard that this sign had been recreated and never in fact was vintage. Am I correct in this recollection or does anyone know for sure?

Max

Old 08-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Looks like some interesting items in this auction and some stuff I've not seen before.

Anyone seen these pencil clips before?
http://www.scpauctions.com/scpauctions/LotDetail.cfm?Lot_ID=12613

Old 08-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

Here's Sandiegowill's Ken-Wel...absolutely a reputable eBay dealer...is HIS real...are ANY of these real:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1920s-LOU-GEHRIG-KEN-WEL-BASEBALL-GLOVE-STORE-SIGN_W0QQitemZ290152289687QQcmdZViewItem

Obviously if his is authentic, it was a steal at just over 100 bucks. I seem to recall reading that the signs with grommets are not vintage, but there are also no-grommet non-vintage examples. And that the signs with the easel-back are vintage.

OR WAS IT THE OTHER WAY AROUND? I am confident this knowledge exists in the minds of a few forum readers...

Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

The Gehrig sign is one of those items that I would stay clear of...I have no idea if there ever were originals for that sign, but there are a few signs I would never buy - ever - and that includes a Red Rock Cola/Ruth, Ty Cobb Candy, and Stall & Dean/Cobb.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I have no doubt the Fan for A Fan is real.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

I am waiting for someone to sell a Baker Fan for a Fan

Old 08-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Max, a Baker "Fan For a Fan" was offered a few times by the same seller on E-Bay in June and July and I don't think it ever sold (he had it listed at a BIN for $6,000).

I ended up buying his 1914 Braves Royals Rooters pinback for a "Best Offer", and would have loved to buy the Baker fan as well, but it was out of my price range (though I don't think it was unfairly priced -- I think the Mastro example sold for about $5,000 when you factor in the buyer's premium). As far as I know those are the only two Bakers ever offered publicly for sale.

Anyway, the seller's username is joejo20 if you want to contact him and see if it's still available.

Good luck!

Old 08-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Hey Aaron...I think you missed the smiley face in Max's post and the post by Joe Jones that preceded Max's post.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

Hi Aaron,

Check out my login ID

Old 08-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

LOL! I'm terrible at figuring out those smiley-faced things. Yours looks like it has something in its eye.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Dan those pencil clips scare me. I've seen a lot of repros over the years. I'm not saying these particular examples are bad, but I don't like them.

I didn't come across any nice baseball pennants in this auction. Did I miss any?

Old 09-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

I hear you Mike....I thought the pencil clip idea was Bill Veeck's in the late 1940s? I don't think I've ever seen anything earlier than the Cleveland Indians clips.