NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Default Leland's Auction

Did anyone win anything??

Thanks to this board I have started venturing out to some of the auction houses that advertise here. So this past week I opened an account with Leland's to bid on some of the Red Schoendienst items. We'll 9 comes last night and I am high bidder on one item. So I wait for the ten minute rule, and wait and wait. No actively on item I am high bidder so go to bed at 3am with auction still going. Of course wake up this morning and lost on item.

So a question for collectors with more experience. Are most auctions and auction houses like this? So far only opened accounts with them and Huggins and Scott( which bid on few items last auction, but went higher then I wanted about an hour before close). I just want to know if this is what I have to prepare myself for, get all excited when I go to bed, then disappointed when I wake up.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker1b2 View Post
Did anyone win anything??

Thanks to this board I have started venturing out to some of the auction houses that advertise here. So this past week I opened an account with Leland's to bid on some of the Red Schoendienst items. We'll 9 comes last night and I am high bidder on one item. So I wait for the ten minute rule, and wait and wait. No actively on item I am high bidder so go to bed at 3am with auction still going. Of course wake up this morning and lost on item.

So a question for collectors with more experience. Are most auctions and auction houses like this? So far only opened accounts with them and Huggins and Scott( which bid on few items last auction, but went higher then I wanted about an hour before close). I just want to know if this is what I have to prepare myself for, get all excited when I go to bed, then disappointed when I wake up.
It has happened to almost everyone (me, many times) who bids in auctions. You have to be mindful of the way they end as well as, if you can't live without something, stay up till the end to make sure you win it. Just my opinion.....but it has happened to most of us....
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I was watching about 15 items that were being sold as lots. I did not bid because I felt that the descriptions were lacking as well as the pictures. Did anyone else feel this way?

Jeff
Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

That is extremely disappointing, but par for the course with most major auctions. Truthfully that is one of the reasons that I do more purchasing on eBay than major auctions. When the auction is done, it's done. No games, no call backs, no waiting up all night. I think it is a terrible way to run an auction, but it seems like everyone does it and a lot of people must like it. Usually if there is an item that I must have, I set the limit so high that I am pretty much guaranteed to win it. Then you second guess yourself with shilling. It's a no win situation. It's another reason to do business with good dealers too if you have some you are familiar with. Good luck in the future, Jason
Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Bowed out on what they were calling baseball bat trade sign.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I bid on two of the Schoendienst lots but was out bid before the night started and chose not to raise my bids. I went to bed on time.

I don't recall MEARS auctions staying up too late, but the others usually do.

Last edited by drcy; 01-11-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:44 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

What's even worse is when you bank on an auction going late into the night, then come back to check on it and place your bids only to find out it's already ended. Oops! Doesn't happen often, but I missed out on several photos in an auction recently because of that.

Another lesson for me to not take things for granted. I'd like to say it will teach me to not wait until the last minute to do things as well, but I'm an inveterate procrastinator. I'll just wait and learn that lesson another day.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Belltown Vintage

I hung in there on quite a few items, but lost all of them; still, a great auction.

I especially liked the Van Oeyen Ty Cobb photo with Van Oeyen's personalization to Ty Cobb. Hard to put a price on something like that.

The 'similar to Michigan' football uniform was also very cool, as well as the lace-up baseball jersey.

One item I didn't get: the Nolan Ryan strike-out ball - WTF !?!?!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Brendan Mullen

I won a sweet 1910 game used catcher's glove from T206 player Pat Moran. I undoubtedly overpaid, but it will go nicely with my T206 memorabilia and autograph collection. I already have a Pat Moran bat so I'm pretty excited to add this as well. Scans to follow.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Auction Houses do it this way because I think they believe it results in higher selling prices.
I can see where it would in certain cases, but not all.
I see two situations where it can also be good for a buyer. If you really want something, stay up and out wait other bidders. Second situation happened to me recently. In the RMY auction in October there were several pictures I was interested in, but had a set budget. As I didn't know how much interest each would garner, it was hard to plan how to bid. During the auction, I was able to shift bidding from one picture to another when the bid went over budget on the first. After all was done, I came away with a nice group of photos that fit within my budget, including a couple that I thought would've gone for much more. In retrospect, if they all ended at the same time, I probably would not have bid on a couple that I won and would've lost the others anyway as I wasn't going higher on them either way. This definitely worked to my advantage.
I think if you have one item you want and can't stay up it definitely can lead to disappointment in the morning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Scott

That Cobb photo was a quick ebay flip and the seller made himself 18k in a few months. It sold on ebay for about 2700 bucks I forgot to bid, but was planning a MUCH bigger number. Oh well, its good for the photo hobby!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Max Weder

In a Pinch, I won this book

Old 01-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Scott

That Cobb photo was a quick ebay flip and the seller made himself 18k in a few months. It sold on ebay for about 2700 bucks I forgot to bid, but was planning a MUCH bigger number. Oh well, its good for the photo hobby!
I was the underbidder... DOH! The image had been cleaned up a lot. I didn't go big because the image itself is not that great IMO.. it is all in the content/letter to cobb. However, it is rare and one of a kind. It only takes two as they say.. I was certainly disappointed I lost it at the time(didn't think I would lose/people would see it). A couple whales clearly wanted this one(or something..).

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 01-11-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM

I was right there with you Ben. I thought I could steal that thing for under 2,000 but was prepared to go 4,000+ but literally fell asleep on it. Its cool.... but I can think of a LOT of images I would rather have than that one for 20K!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I was right there with you Ben. I thought I could steal that thing for under 2,000 but was prepared to go 4,000+ but literally fell asleep on it. Its cool.... but I can think of a LOT of images I would rather have than that one for 20K!
agreed..without the van oeyen stamp and content... I would not even really want it for my collection(image wise)

Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

I didn't see it on ebay, or I would have gone around $3-4K. I think my Lelands's bid last night was in the $4K range - as Ben said, for the Van Oeyen content, although the image was good enough for me
Old 01-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I won a sweet 1910 game used catcher's glove from T206 player Pat Moran. I undoubtedly overpaid, but it will go nicely with my T206 memorabilia and autograph collection. I already have a Pat Moran bat so I'm pretty excited to add this as well. Scans to follow.
Brendan, it's hard to put a price on something like that - game-used equipment from a T206 player !?!? - almost impossible to find. It would have fit in perfect with my collection of game-used catchers mitts, but I can't be buying to keep at the moment. GREAT pick-up.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I didn't see it on ebay, or I would have gone around $3-4K. I think my Lelands's bid last night was in the $4K range - as Ben said, for the Van Oeyen content, although the image was good enough for me
it was good enough for you coupled with the content Me too.. hence me bidding. I think we can agree that without the content.. it would go for a fraction of the price(s) realized.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Default Lelands

I won the Anson Cigar box and I bid high on the Cobb photo but was a mere $10k short. I also got outbid at 4am for the Erskine All Star bowl. Sigh.... I did however pick up a Joe Jackson Paul Thompson Type 1 photo (not in Leland's) to ease the pain a bit that once I receive it I will show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anson Cigar Box.jpg (27.6 KB, 224 views)
Old 01-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
it was good enough for you coupled with the content Me too.. hence me bidding. I think we can agree that without the content.. it would go for a fraction of the price(s) realized.
Yeah, without any writing at all by Van Oeyen (just his stamp), or the Cobb ownership, I don't know what I would have bid - maybe $1,500-$2,000?

Nice box, Bob. And congrats on a Thompson Joe Jackson.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Brendan Mullen

Thanks for the kind words Scott. I can't wait until I get it in the mail. I figure (other than bats-I have 7) there can't be a lot of T206 player memorabilia floating around (other than the big name HOFers). Or maybe there are?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I was watching about 15 items that were being sold as lots. I did not bid because I felt that the descriptions were lacking as well as the pictures. Did anyone else feel this way?

Jeff
Yes...I bid on only one lot, the St Joseph Drummers postcard that I guess has Dazzy Vance on it...not sure why they wouldn't point out who they thought it was, or show the back of the postcard....The only guy it could be is standing top row furthest left. Why not show a closeup of that guy?

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...Vance-and-More

And talk about lack of pictures, how can you auction off a Ted Williams Sugar Crisp box without showing the back side of the box which has Williams on it???

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...ost-Cereal-Box
Old 01-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
And talk about lack of pictures, how can you auction off a Ted Williams Sugar Crisp box without showing the back side of the box which has Williams on it???

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...ost-Cereal-Box
That is hilarious.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
That is hilarious.
I picked up their free catalog, even tho I have a hundred dollars to my name period. Love reading them. Picked book up at Hartford last week and that lot had BOTH the front and the smiling Ted hawking the patches on the back
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Matt

Default agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I did not bid because I felt that the descriptions were lacking as well as the pictures. Did anyone else feel this way?

Jeff
+100. Vague descriptions in the book and online, and many lots only had one photo. Ebay sellers offer far more photos (or at least I do). I don't understand that auction strategy. And as a buyer, I hate having to call an AH up for more info.

Matt
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I had to withstand a late 4 AM bid to hold onto this one.

Hesitant to even post it, as I feel like I'm possibly pissing off someone on this forum (who was burned in late fashion, like the OP...)

Oh well.... I got it for 30% of their sale price at The National
Attached Images
File Type: jpg genesee1.jpg (17.7 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg genesee2.jpg (17.8 KB, 198 views)
Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 PM

Default Wow

Amazing uniform Mark, congratulations, it is a fantastic piece of history. I am happy it was you who got it and you deserved it to stay up that late!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Hesitant to even post it, as I feel like I'm possibly pissing off someone on this forum (who was burned in late fashion, like the OP...)

I was the next guy down - 2nd underbidder That is a REAL beauty!

I don't think I've ever invested this much time and bidding in an auction, and ended up with nothing to show, but it was fun.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-11-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Joe M.

After reading all the other posts, I thought people would be worried about bidding in this auction. Not me!!!!, but others.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 01-12-2014, 05:16 AM
Mike H.

WOW Mark Congratulations my friend
Old 01-12-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Beautiful uni, Mark!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Joe Gonsowski

I was able to snag another Detroit scorecard, an early game from the Championship 1887 campaign. I had tried to obtain this scorecard a number of times from BMW over the years but could never agree on a price. Glad to see it finally hit an auction.

While unscored, the game was rather remarkable with every Wolverine scoring at least one run and collecting at least two hits in route to an 18-2 victory over Pittsburgh. I wonder how many times that has been accomplished? This may also be the earliest scorecard for the NL Pittsburgh Pirates (first season).

I'd love to find more scorecards from Detroit home games.

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 01-12-2014, 01:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks Bob, Scott, Scott, and Mike

Been looking for an early Full-collar Uni for quite some time. The fact that it's a lace-front (with lots of other cool attributes) was frosting on the cake.

Definitely worth a night of no sleep!

Last edited by perezfan; 01-12-2014 at 01:45 PM.