NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Help with Hartland boxes and variations

Hi All:

Hoping some of you can help on some research I am doing on Hartland boxes. You can click on the link to see the boxes or they are all dispalyed at the bottom except for the regular box which I assume you all know what it looks like.

There are three basic types of boxes for the baseball set. The "original' baseball scene box:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60186364@N00/5232097150/

I know of several variations in these boxes, for example the Berra box comes with a large baseball on the front or a circle with his signature and New York Yankees. The same holds true for the Spahn, except of course his team is the Braves.

The first question I have on the baseball scene box is do any of you have or have photo evidence of any of the following: MATHEWS W/O PHOTO IN CIRCLE ON FRONT OF BOX, APARICIO W/NAME IN CIRCLE ON FRONT OF BOX, AARON, MUSIAL, WILLIAMS W/O PHOTO ON SIDE OF BOX, RUTH W/O DRAWING ON SIDE OF BOX.

My guess on the next box I will show you is that the company ran out of boxes for certain players. They chose to use other boxes and apply yellow sticker(s) to, say, a Ruth box to make a Colavito box. See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60186364@N00/5232088106/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60186364@N00/5231496197/

Question: Does anyone have other boxes with the yellow stickers?

Hartland next changed the boxes over to the cello version with team logos on the flap:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60186364@N00/5232087910/

Can anyone confirm the following players with this type of logo front cello box: KILLEBREW, MANTLE, MARIS, MUSIAL

Next we have the Cello Box version with a batter on the tear away flap:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60186364@N00/5231496075/

Can anyone confirm the following boxes with the batter on the front: AARON, DRYSDALE, FOX, GROAT

The final Hartland box offering got more generic. They used the batter front box but instead of printing the players name on the box they used a blue sticker see:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60186364@N00/5232088048/

Do any of you have ANY box like this with the blue sticker? If so, PLEASE LMK what player(s).

I am also interested in any Hartland statue varitions, prototypes etc. that any of you might have in your collection. For instance I have a Babe Ruth where the NY was never painted on the front of his uniform. A Drysdale where the 53 on the front was not painted among others. Many of the Braves come with and without the Tom A Hawk painted, others with the Tom A Hawk painted and no Braves!! What do you have along this line?

I would be glad to send any info on the Hartland boxes as well as variations I have on the statues to anyone interested.

I have many statues, boxes, tags, and a Mantle lamp in Baseball to trade as well as Football boxes and statues to trade. Send any wantlists.

Thanks to all in advance for any info you can supply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yellowstickerlid.jpg (72.4 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg Box2.jpg (74.5 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg logobox.jpg (73.0 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg batterbox.jpg (72.4 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg stickerbox.jpg (74.5 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by whiteymet; 12-04-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:59 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I used to have a Stan Musial Box with the generic Batter tear-away front and the blue name sticker at the bottom (just like the Berra you pictured).

As far as paint variations, I am sure you're probably aware of these...

* Willie Mays with both orange and yellow highlights on the numbers/cap
* Ted Williams with "Red" and "Red S" showing on the front
* Aparicio and Fox with no red highlights on the numbers
* Colavito and Drysdale with plum and white toe plate

I'm sure there's a few more that I'm forgetting...
Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Hartland boxes and Variations

Thanks for confirmation on the Musial with blue sticker box. Any chance you have a photo you can post or send along in a PM?

As for the other variations you list, I am aware of all of them. However, I have not been able to verify an Aparicio with no red trim on both the front AND back. I have seen many with no red trim on the Sox on front but all have the red on his 11 on the back. Anyone have Looie with no red trim on front and back?

Talking about Aparicio he also comes with a white and plum ( purple) toeplates and he was issued without one also. You can tell an original w/o by the color of the bottom of his right foot. If it is painted black it is as issued. If you see white under his toes a toeplate has come off sometime in the last 50 or so years.

Little known or seen is a Ted Williams also with a purple toe plate. The white is MUCH MORE common.

Musial comes with and without fingernails. The one with nails also has an "A" on his left elbow!

Mantle and Ruth come with both green or blue under the visor of his cap.

Mantle also was issued in SOLID BLACK. This statue one of two known appeared on the cover of Collecting Figurines magazine years back.

Aaron in low or highstep, and 11 of the 18 come with magnets as well.

I have many other paint variations I can list if there is interest.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:41 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Interesting! You listed some nifty variations that I was unaware of. Never heard about the Musial with fingernails thing... will definitely be on the lookout now!

Sorry I can't send you any images of my old Stan Musial Box with the Blue Label. I sold it 8 - 9 years ago, and never thought to save a photo. Didn't even know or suspect it was a rarity at the time
Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Romeo Lombardi

I have Anniversary Hartland empty boxes of Mantle, Maris, and Berra if anyone has a need for them
Old 05-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

it's been awhile. Bumping to see if anyone can help with info.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
it's been awhile. Bumping to see if anyone can help with info.

Thanks!
I was gonna say there's a guy on this board with a HUGE Hartland collection....turns out, it's you.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Rob:

Yep, it's me. Doing research trying to learn about the stuff I collect. Hopefully others will be able to help.

Regards,

Fred
Old 01-31-2017, 12:56 AM

Fred,
You still out there? This is an old thread I'm posting to.

I'm really new to the Hartland world, but long time vintage card collector.

I have a Berra with box and tag. The box has the circle with signature and has a 1958 date on the box. Not sure if they modified the boxes over time as the dates changed, but mine has 1958 on it.

Sorry not much more help, I only have 4 statues & Berra is the only one with box/tag, the rest are neeked!

Would be interested in learning more from you on Hartlands, as I'd like to round out my collection.

I don't frequent this board often, but if you'd like to reach out: vincentjunk@comcast.net will work.

Drew