NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 AM
D@le Irv*n

Default Hard/difficult to find 52 Topps cards?

I have been trying, since I joined the site, to educate myself as much as possible about anomalies, variations and hard to get 52 Topps cards but after seeing this one recently, I realized I still have much to learn.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-G...vip=true&rt=nc

I also have a Gerald Staley, (Black back) which is a far cry from this one condition wise, but I had no idea it was a difficult card to find centered and in great shape. Is this the norm for the first series cards?

Personally, I thought, because it's a low number, and as far as I know, a common, I had no idea this card would fetch this kind of money if it was in great shape.

I am aware of the 5th and 6th high numbers series being more rare/scarce, but not aware, other than Pafko and a couple others in the first series, being hard to find in great shape.

Any info/advice where I could find things like this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gerald Staley.jpg (74.5 KB, 180 views)
Old 06-25-2017, 09:03 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball...52/topps/49722
The PSA Pop Report will answer many questions for you.
In this case, the Gerald Staley cards have over 500 graded, with a total of 20 graded PSA 8 and only one 8.5. There are also a few 8s with qualifiers, making them approximately 6s.
You can look at the rest of the pop report to see which cards have zero 9s and 10s to find the ones that are hard to find in solid condition and centered.

Edit: and for what it's worth, it's possible the 8s don't ever come up for sale. However, if someone bought this thinking it was a candidate for a bump, they're going to lose on it. Despite having a hologram flip, the serial # is and old one, so it wasn't recently called an 8. With the top two corners showing significant wear to my eye, I'd be surprised if this would get a 6.5 today.

PPS: PSA breaks apart the black backs from the ones that are supposedly red backs, but it's likely that many without a designation may also be black backs that just haven't been sent in for reholdering since they started making the distinction. Anyone know when PSA started separating red and black backs in 1952 Topps?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 06-25-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:55 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball...52/topps/49722
The PSA Pop Report will answer many questions for you.
In this case, the Gerald Staley cards have over 500 graded, with a total of 20 graded PSA 8 and only one 8.5. There are also a few 8s with qualifiers, making them approximately 6s.
You can look at the rest of the pop report to see which cards have zero 9s and 10s to find the ones that are hard to find in solid condition and centered.

Edit: and for what it's worth, it's possible the 8s don't ever come up for sale. However, if someone bought this thinking it was a candidate for a bump, they're going to lose on it. Despite having a hologram flip, the serial # is and old one, so it wasn't recently called an 8. With the top two corners showing significant wear to my eye, I'd be surprised if this would get a 6.5 today.

PPS: PSA breaks apart the black backs from the ones that are supposedly red backs, but it's likely that many without a designation may also be black backs that just haven't been sent in for reholdering since they started making the distinction. Anyone know when PSA started separating red and black backs in 1952 Topps?
Great info, John. Thank you very much, your link will come in handy.
I found this one while digging further, and although I've likely read it before, being as I was likely bombarding myself with info, the info didn't really stick.
It is/was based back in 97 so likely some of the info has changed quite a bit since then, however?
https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...-ever-produced
Old 06-25-2017, 12:13 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

That card probably pulls a 4 if graded by today's standards. I don't see a half grade at all, and psa doesn't give half grades anywhere near as much as whole grades.

A great article about 1952's can be found at Oldbaseball.com. Written by George Vrechek.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The card that's graded an 8 or the one he showed in this thread? You have to click the link to see the 8.
There is an 8.5 in the pop report, you have to look at the 8 column and go to the second row (+ line = 1) which means there is 1 card with an 8.5. You could probably also type in the serial number on the front page of PSA to see that it's got one higher, as well.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

*double post*

Last edited by swarmee; 06-25-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
That card probably pulls a 4 if graded by today's standards. I don't see a half grade at all, and psa doesn't give half grades anywhere near as much as whole grades.

A great article about 1952's can be found at Oldbaseball.com. Written by George Vrechek.
Thanks for the info, Lou.

I found the article and it was a good read.