NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Vintage Photo Experts - Blank Backs

So what do those of you who collect photos think when you know (or are pretty sure in your mind) the photo is vintage, but there is absolutely nothing stamped or written on the back.

A specific example I'm thinking of was of Josh Gibson. I will try to research and see if I can find it, and what it went for. Also, a recent Gehrig one on Ebay. I'll post that one too.

But if you see a photo with nothing on the back, what are your thoughts? Do you stay away from?

Also, some vintage photos can be be glued to a backing so you cant see the back, do you shy away from or not at all?
Old 02-01-2017, 04:14 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Many old original have blank backs, including snap shots and Hollywood movie stills. Though it is always nice to have a stamp of some sort. You just have to be more competant at photo dating.

Beyond cabinet cards and such, which by original design are supposed to have a backing, it is harder to authenticate photos glued to backing. But you can often be confident it is vintage anyway. Antique photos often have physical deterioration signs that show it's old. If you are talking about cabinet cards and CDVs, they certainly can be authenticated, and there are various methods for authenticating. That's different that a later photo that someone glued to a piece of cardboard-- which sometimes happened with news photos.

Obviously it is nice to have a photographer's, photo service's or such's stamp or tag on back. That makes things more straight foreword and most collectors would prefer it. If the photo is supposed to be a famous photographer, you'd want his stamp on back.

One thing is with an online sale or auction, you don't have the photo in hand to inspect and the stamping can a great aid. That's what is so nice about stampings and tags.

Last edited by drcy; 02-01-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
So what do those of you who collect photos think when you know (or are pretty sure in your mind) the photo is vintage, but there is absolutely nothing stamped or written on the back.

A specific example I'm thinking of was of Josh Gibson. I will try to research and see if I can find it, and what it went for. Also, a recent Gehrig one on Ebay. I'll post that one too.

But if you see a photo with nothing on the back, what are your thoughts? Do you stay away from?

Also, some vintage photos can be be glued to a backing so you cant see the back, do you shy away from or not at all?
still buy them if they have obvious signs of being oold and the paper type is correct. But one thing that sucks about blank backs is the majority you obviously cant say with certainty theyre within the 2 year Type 1 window
Old 02-02-2017, 07:54 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Here's a Gehrig one, this one I'm not so sure was a Type 1, doesn't look all that crisp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Lou...p2047675.l2557

and I have no idea what reserve he has on this.......5K?

all of this sellers stuff has reserves and never meets it

this one looks better to me:

but again not sure what price he is hoping for, he hasn't responded to my inquires asking that question, so this seller is perhaps a lil' odd. I don't like when Red flags start to pop up.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 02-02-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:46 AM

I saw it too and bid, but once I knew his reserve was high, I backed off the third time around and it appears he sold it off ebay to someone. The second group is good to 1922-23 no doubt, the team photo is tough. It looks ok, but I have only seen one other and it was a re-strike from the 1930's. This is why PSA with photos (or any service) is a fantastic resource, but is only an opinion as to exact age with these types of photos. Henry has given some pretty good leeway with obviously old images (especially on photographers like Conlon and Burke) as long as the photo paper and style are correct to the age (which he should) so my guess is we see that photo with full PSA authentication soon back up for sale on a bigger venue.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I saw it too and bid, but once I knew his reserve was high, I backed off the third time around and it appears he sold it off ebay to someone. The second group is good to 1922-23 no doubt, the team photo is tough. It looks ok, but I have only seen one other and it was a re-strike from the 1930's. This is why PSA with photos (or any service) is a fantastic resource, but is only an opinion as to exact age with these types of photos. Henry has given some pretty good leeway with obviously old images (especially on photographers like Conlon and Burke) as long as the photo paper and style are correct to the age (which he should) so my guess is we see that photo with full PSA authentication soon back up for sale on a bigger venue.
Rhys -

Is the 1930's restrike team photo the one where there is an asterisk under Gehrig's name as well as a date somewhere on the photo? The team photo on eBay just didn't look "vintage" enough to me. The other one looks good, but it scared me because the other Gehrig photo by the same seller didn't appear to be period.

Also, how do you know it (the team photo, I presume) was eventually sold outside of eBay? I was certainly surprised to see such a high reserve. I was wondering if he was bidding it up with another account to see how high someone was willing to go (hidden reserve).

I might have gone higher if I "knew" it was a type I photo. For full disclosure, I did not bid on either due to the red flags. Perhaps we will see it again as you mentioned (w/ authentication).

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 02-03-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:02 PM

I just assumed it was sold because he tried to relist it for the third time then immediately pulled it. Rumor is its going to a bigger auction house, but if this is true (and the venue) they wont have an outsider look at it for an opinion so we will be just as speculative when it comes back up for sale later this year than we were when it was on ebay. It might be good, but its a big gamble from a scan and a seller who does not seem to know a ton about vintage photography at 3k+.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:30 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Just going by the pics, the two Gehrigs definitely look old. The tone of the paper on back is helpful in determining age. The paper consistently is darker the older it is, and most modern reprints are obviously modern because the paper is too bright white.

Last edited by drcy; 02-04-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Assuming for the sake of argument that you don't trust the seller to know WTF they are selling, sometimes you just have to gamble. Usual eBay rule applies: if the seller says might be a reprint it is. If the seller is ignorant and the scans look good, you just have to decide whether it is worth the time and effort to take a shot at it.

I'd say I get burned about 3-5 times a year on photos that aren't vintage but are sold as such. I never pay much for them if I have a question and I always send them back if they are bad.

What I am seeing more of are laser printed copies of tough photos. I got burned last year on a rare premium that turned out to be a laser copy. Thought I really scored with that one. The refund isn't the issue as much as the disappointment when it is something I really wanted to get.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's pretty much how it is.

I bought a really cool early motorcycling photo on Ebay for what I thought was a great price. Turned out to be a modern reproduction. But the image was still really cool, and it looked like an actual photographic print. The price was ok for a modern repro too something like 5 or 10 bucks, so I just kept it.

There are a few photos that I'd pay a pretty good price for even if it was a repro. Mostly stuff I want that probably doesn't exist or is in a publishers archive in another country. And I wouldn't have a clue as to whose archive or how to ask.
Lets just say of anyone has good contacts for photos in Argentina that's where one of the photos is if it was even taken, and I wouldn't mind hearing from you

Steve B