NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Jonathan

Default NEW Vintage Baseball Equipment and Memorabilia Book...MUST SEE!

Net54 Board Members,

Just wanted to take a moment to make you aware of the brand new book that I recently completed on the subject of vintage baseball equipment and memorabilia….Dugout Treasures, Collecting Crossroads.

http://www.dugouttreasures.com/book.cfm

The work focusses on the collection that my family and I have spent the better part of the last 25 years accumulating, and the many ways in which it has evolved over time. The tale is told thru the items themselves and describes many of the stories behind the “old fashioned” way in which we acquired our holdings…antique shows, yard sales, flea markets, etc. It really hits home with anybody out there that still remembers the ol’ days! Moreover, it is a story of family and how the National Pastime, the love of history and the drive to pursue baseball antiquity has created a lifetime’s worth of memories.

Two gifted photographers collaborated on the work that includes over 150 full color pages containing in excess of 250 artfully composed images. More than 300 items from the collection grace the pages of this stunning coffee table style book, but rather than continue to tout the book myself (which I have no problem doing ), here is what two cornerstone collectors of vintage baseball equipment had to day about it…

“Any collector will tell you that their collection evolves as time passes – they find new avenues to explore to keep that spark alive. Here in the Popovich's second book, the transformation of a collection takes place in front of your eyes. Captured in stunning photographs by Tony Dube and Scott Lomenzo, the reader is transported into a world class vintage baseball collection that spans many eras and different collecting genres. Being a collector, you'll enjoy the new additions and stories that accompany them, in essence, because the captivating dialogue will resonate with your own experiences. There is a vast variety of high quality, top condition items that will cause you to drool with envy and invigorate one to embark on “treasure hunts” looking for new additions to one's collection. The family element that runs throughout the book is a highlight and heartwarming to readers. Having had the pleasure of meeting Jonathan and his family at the National, I can honestly relate the utter joy they experienced finding new treasures and making new friends. Although the book may showcase some great vintage items, it also deftly shows the reader that collecting is not just about the “goods”, it's about family and friendship too. I'm honored to call Jonathan my friend and highly recommend adding this book to your library."

— Brett Lowman
Play OK Antiques; Baseball Glove Forum

“I love books, especially baseball books and I love this book. It’s so cool to read about and look at stuff you’re passionate about. Well Jonathan satisfied my hunger again with another brilliant book entitled Dugout Treasures, Collecting Crossroads, where he continues his collecting journey by telling the story of how his family collection has evolved, no changed, in a very short time. His collection literally got more focused and made a sharp turn since his first book. The many new acquisitions and images are stunning. He explores and addresses the inevitable question common to all of us collectors. Why do our tastes or interests change over time? His timing is perfect as our hobby goes through another transition. Dugout Treasures, Collecting Crossroads is an asset to our hobby and should be in the library of every collector."

— Jim Daniel
www.baseballglovecollector.com

I invite you to come and check out our website (www.dugouttreasures.com) where you will be able to view a preview of the book and contact me directly with any questions you might have prior to placing an order. This book would make a perfect holiday gift for anybody passionate about baseball, baseball history, and collecting…it would be perfect for you!

Here is that link directly to the book… http://www.dugouttreasures.com/book.cfm

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Popovich
www.dugouttreasures.com
Old 12-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Jim

Good for you Jonathan for writing a book to share with the hobby. I wish more people would write books on collecting or equipment or anything. There are so few baseball equipment focused books out there and I wish I could get my hands on more. This one has a special place in my library. The new pieces are simply incredible and so is the photography. You did well.

The collection is evolving nicely and I can appreciate your reasons for change. I’m sure everyone hits that collecting crossroad at some point and it would interesting to hear if/why other collections changed over time.

Here’s my post-baseball card collecting story. I started by collecting gloves and mitts in off-brands. When they kept appearing, I had to get more focused because my funds wouldn’t allow the purchase of so many gloves. Then, I concentrated on only 1” webs and full webs in off-brands. I amassed nearly 100 different brands and then those started to dry up (I swear, people would tear labels off of old clothing, sew it to a glove and sell it to me as a rare off-brand in the early days). I couldn’t add many more as my collection got more advanced so it got stagnant. Then I got bored. Then I had to go in another direction. Hmmm. Novelty gloves? That was fun and hard. 19th Century – love ‘em but too expensive. I'd have to part with too many cherished gloves. Tough decision. Then, after all these years, I went for what I truly believe is the pinnacle of the hobby, boxed gloves. There’s nothing better than getting a nice example that you don’t have to upgrade. Check it off the list forever and trade off the dupes and placeholders. For example, I have owned well over 50 Joe Gordon gloves but to get them in the box was the ultimate for me. It seemed finite and a direction in which I couldn’t let get out of control. Well, boxes are bulky and take up a lot of room but I love ‘em as it keeps me from buying multiple examples of the same glove. Now I just try to go for the best one to be done with it. Don’t know where the road will lead to next.

So, I understand what it means to be at a crossroads in your collection. Jonathan does too. Sometimes we all just need a kick in the butt or a spark and Jonathan just provided it.

Great book and worth the read if anything to reflect on your own collections. Support a fellow collector and pick up a copy for your library today.

JD
www.baseballglovecollector.com
Old 12-06-2013, 05:57 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Look forward to reading. Best
Old 12-09-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Thanks Jon

Love the high quality dugout treasures book. It is a really well done book with great images. Your passion is clear!
Dan
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Jim Murphy

Great Book
Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Jonathan, thanks for the super service on the book. I have gone through and spot read it now looking forward to reading from cover to cover. Your passion shows my friend. Great job !!!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Jonathan,

The book is incredible!! I really don't know how else to describe it. The picture quality and just the quality of the material itself is amazing. I have gone through it last night in a hotel, but can't wait to get home and read it through cover to cover and the back stories that go along with the items. The personalization of the book to me was a nice touch as well.

To Net54 members: If you are contemplating a book as a gift or just for your personal library, don't even think about it: JUST BUY IT!! It is $36 well spent and well worth the time to read it and add it to your library. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize this was the 2nd book, so now I am going online to find the first one and buy that one as well.

In the future, when I fully read this book cover to cover, I will update this thread with a FULL review, but as it stands, I am thrilled to have it as part of my library and glad I made the acquaintance of the Popovich family.

Greg
Old 01-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Jonathan

Got my copy for Xmas, and what can I say...other than...it was the single gift I spent the rest of the day reading. My girlfriend was amazed at how one book could keep my attention so long, but more importantly, quiet so damn long. Serious pictures of some serious vintage baseball equipment & memorabilia, and without a doubt, a seriously good read for the collector!!

Great Book, thanks Jonathan

Eric
glovejunkie
Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Brandon

I received this book as a Christmas gift as well and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Great photography and loved reading all the stories of how these treasures were found...looking forward to picking up your first book as well. Brandon
Old 01-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Jonathan, I received the book for christmas and it was wonderful. Exactly what my collecting interests are. Early eqjipment baseballs,,bats, lemonpeels etc. Love the storys of how items were acquired. We all have those great storys of finds. Couldn't put the book down. The book is very well made and fantastic photography. Good luck in the future and congrats on a great read. Thx Kevin
Old 01-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Matt

Default love it....

Got the book yesterday and almost finished reading it last night. I loved reading the stories of 'the hunt' when some of their 'keepers' were found. I would recommend it to anyone who collects early baseball memorabilia. Jonathan, keep up the good work.............Matt