NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Should PSA adopt a qualifier for exceptional centering?
Yes 26 13.40%
No 168 86.60%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Poll: should PSA adopt a qualifier for exceptional centering?

I think this is a simple yes or no in terms of the poll part of it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:20 PM
Greg C

Default Positive qualifier

PCGS (same company as PSA) has put positive qualifiers on
their coins for many years now. Although the majority of us
who are “in the know” can make our own judgement calls,
the more novice consumer can certainly benifit from this concept.

Also, for what it is worth, I like what Card Country is trying to do
with their PC stickers.

This is coming directly from the Purple guy.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:21 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

No. If I can't judge centering for myself, I don't need to be spending $ on cards. Also, if a TPG is going to add a qualifier for exceptional centering, we might as well do it Beckett style a break down all of a card's aspects.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 08-06-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:24 PM

I voted no.

If a card grades an 8 in most categories, for example, but is exceptional in one (or more) particular area (centering, registration, color, corners, etc), but is not quite a 9...it should then grade an 8.5 (in theory). This is what half grades are for.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 08-05-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:53 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Absolutely not. Centering is a criteria, just like corners, creases, etc. It should be baked into the grade. You start separating those out and the whole system becomes even more of a mess than it already is.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Stephen Benzel

The simpler the system the better. We can look at a PSA 10 and see with our eyes whether it's 50/50 or 55/45. And if we want to know if it's 50/50 instead of 51/49 then eye roll emoji.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Jeff P

I'm in favor of less qualifiers vs. more. So I would say 'no'.

jeff
Old 08-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

I vote yes. Why, because it's starting to seem like the average collector has no clue and needs to be spoon fed.

Last edited by PiratesWS1979; 08-05-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Kyle May

I voted no.

Instead, put why it's graded what it is on the back of the flip.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 08-06-2018, 01:44 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Yes definitely, and there should also be qualifiers to for when the sky is blue, the grass is green and when the water is wet for collectors who can't determine those things either.

At some point-- say when he has to be told that a card is rectangular or the 1971 Topps borders are black or that a card is perfectly centered or that an autograph is Mint--, that a collector doesn't deserve to own a card. "Sorry, you're too stupid. Please, join another hobby."

Last edited by drcy; 08-06-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:03 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Since it is just one part of the grading process, if you were to put the notation on it for centering than you might as well go back to Beckett's 4 score process...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:55 AM
Barry Sloate

I said no because anyone can easily look at a card and determine if it is well centered. We don't need somebody else to do what we can do ourselves. Keep it simple.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:04 AM
Mike

NO qualifiers ! There are guidelines in reference to centering for each grade, use them ! How can a card be a "9" with poor centering / etc ? It must be centered , as per guideline , to get that grade.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:05 AM
“the bambino”

Default This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
If a card grades an 8 in most categories, for example, but is exceptional in one (or more) particular area (centering, registration, color, corners, etc), but is not quite a 9...it should then grade an 8.5 (in theory). This is what half grades are for.
As I was voting “no” I was mentally preparing the written defense of my decision. No need for me to explain my decision now, since MVSNYC suppliied my exact theory. In fact, I couldn’t have said it any better. IMO that’s what the half grade should be for. A technical 7 with damn near perfect centering should become a 7.5... not a 7 with a goofy little sticker.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:59 AM
J1m C0chran

No. If my net54 memory serves me correctly, some collectors even have differing opinions on what is considered centered for certain issues, such as T206. Is the name part of the border (my choice), or does the border start after the name?
Old 08-06-2018, 09:35 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
a collector doesn't deserve to own a card. "Sorry, you're too stupid. Please, join another hobby."

Now THESE must be the guys paying higher for a PWCC auction when a buy it now exists for less! Send them my way

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-06-2018, 09:50 AM
“the bambino”

We’ve heard a lot of reasons supporting folks’ “no” votes. I’m curious about the reasons for the affirmative. Anyone care to share their “yes” logic?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Chase

Definite no. Not sure there is anything more obvious than the centering on a card and of all the attributes upon which a card is assessed for the grade, centering is the only one that is not subjective. Premiums are already being paid for well centered cards. Feels more like a gimmick for those who are caught up in cards being centered.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:39 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

PSA sort of already does that with the .5 grades.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Absolutely not. The last thing we need is for PSA to have another lasso of leverage to have millions of previously-graded cards hauled back to them, just to have PSA study each one for a few seconds, and change the cert. In all likelihood, arguments would erupt, hearts would be punched with pain, and PSA stock will ascend with all the influx of business.

Collectors delight in gauging centering themselves, and the great pieces are pure "res ipsa loquitur" --- that great Latin phrase meaning, at least in the collectibles world,

The thing speaks for itself.

--- Brian Powell
Old 08-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
PSA sort of already does that with the .5 grades.
Exactly. When they went to half point grades Joe Orlando said it was basically for exceptional centering, and .5 grade was really closer to .8

Was hoping someone would ask if it goes to 11, but it didn't happen.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Garth Guibord

No for me. There are already enough uneducated collectors who buy the slab and not the card, we don't need to exacerbate the problem.

BUT, if anyone were to do it, it should be a TPG. The stickers that sellers add to slabs noting exceptional centering are ridiculous. Everyone should take the grading done by TPG with a grain of salt (not to mention that everyone should be familiar with TPG guidelines that would indicate what the centering limits are for a grade), but any sticker - or other denotation - a seller adds to a card should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt, because they're express purpose is to sell the card and maximize profit and/or turnaround time (I don't have a problem with maximizing either of these, as that is their business).

Centering is baked into the price. If there is any question about why cards are priced as they are, it's an opportunity for the seller and potential customer to discuss the card's attributes. That's also the opportunity for the potential customer to learn more about the card and grow as a collector. Qualifiers, and in particular stickers added by sellers, would curtail this opportunity, I think.

We need more educated collectors, not collectors who buy slabs or qualifiers.

Last edited by AGuinness; 08-06-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling error.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Robert N*w-ell

My answer is no. I think the PSA grading scale works well as it is. Don't see a need to inject some new disclaimer that sellers would use to jack up the price even more.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:22 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Exactly. When they went to half point grades Joe Orlando said it was basically for exceptional centering, and .5 grade was really closer to .8

Was hoping someone would ask if it goes to 11, but it didn't happen.
I believe the half grades were supposed to be for exceptional eye appeal, with more consideration given to centering. But I have seen plenty of off centered cards that got the half grade bump as well as many dead centered cards that did not. Looks like I'm in the minority but I voted for the positive qualifier.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Current tally is 149-19.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Anson

I'll first say "no", I don't believe it needs to be any more complicated. But, I will say that the .5 bump PSA added is WAY too darn subjective. Even more so than the whole grades. I have 2's that present as 4s or 5s with outstanding centering and eye appeal, no half grade. Then other, off-center worn examples get the bump. Whole grades do have some specific standards, albeit very subject (e.g. is the crease sort of a corner or major enough to be a 2 instead of a 3). But, .5 can't really be attributed to anything other than the grader feels a little extra happiness when grading the card.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

I was fine with 1-10 whole grades only. Actually I would have been fine with 1-9. Within the grade, of course, there was a spectrum and you usually paid accordingly. A grading company can only tell you so much, people have to use their own eye and judgment instead of having everything spoonfed.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-06-2018 at 06:57 PM.