NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2018, 06:50 AM

Default T206 Back Stamps

I collect T206. I do not collect T206s with back stamps. In fact, I will avoid them bc, to me, the back stamp is a marking (like a signature or doodles) that takes away from the base-card and hurts the overall appeal and value of the card. That said, there are many who collect cards with back stamps, and I respect that interest. Recently there was a post about an auction that contained several cards with a certain back-stamp (if anyone here wins lot 373 in REA, please give Ed (StuckInOmaha) a shot at the McCormick back stamps for his collection), and it made me wonder -- why did people stamp the backs of T206s?

Was there a practice among kids back in 1910 to put your name on your cards so you don't lose them, like kids do their clothes when they go to sleepover camp? Was there a movement to put your name on your card, send it out into the world and see if it ever comes back, like people do sometimes with dollar bills? Was there a promotion where some company advertised send-away name stamps for your tobacco cards?

Why did people stamp their name on the back of their cards, and why does this appear so prevalent on T206s as opposed to other issues?

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-22-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:59 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I would guess its like why kids had their names on their clothes when they go to camp. To show ownership. Condition of cards didnt mean anything in 1911 but I would assume during that time people wanted to keep whats theirs... but this is just a guess..
Old 10-22-2018, 07:42 AM
Paul

Jefferson Burdick himself would stamp the backs of his cards to show ownership and facilitate trades. He would send stacks of cards to fellow collectors, ask them to choose certain ones, and then return the balance to him. My understanding is that this was a fairly standard practice among some of the most dedicated fore-fathers of our hobby. Owning a card once owned by them establishes a connection to them and makes our hobby more fulfilling to many. There are always threads about the original owners of our cards. We are only holding these cards for a short period of time until the next generation gets their hands (and stamps) on them!

Leifield_AUTO_BURDICK_SGC_JSA_A

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Zach

It's funny that you posted this just now. I was digging around in my desk at work this morning and found a T206 Street with an Edward Buckalew back stamp that I forgot I had.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Bruce Fairchild

When I was 12 or 13 back in the early 60's it was cool to have a stamp with your name and address. At that time I collected coins and stamps and remember having a stamp with my name and address. For no reason (other than being cool) I would stamp my coin box and the small 2x2 coin envelopes. I didn't think to stamp my bb cards. It would be awesome to run across one today if I had.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Provenance

I'm the fourth owner of my Waddell, that I purchased from Soutter who got it from the son of Nelson Tisdel.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:40 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
... Why did people stamp their name on the back of their cards? ...
Ryan, could it be because there weren't any TPGs around back in the day to grade and slab cards?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

I am a sucker for one particular T206 stamp...in fact, they are the only ones in my collection (Hal Chase aside). I think that stamps probably also helped kids/collectors who may have played games with the cards (think flipping) to be able to tell whose cards they were. So far I have six of these and they are all Piedmont’s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:30 PM

Anderson is not the only Agent for the Saturday Evening Post with the same back stamp design. There are at least 5-6 others from around the country with the exact format to their stamps.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Including Howe, who also was a SEP Agent

Have this stamp on three of Howe's cards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 275 McQuillan Back.jpg (12.4 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg 080 Berger Back.jpg (11.9 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg 289 Jordan Back.jpg (10.9 KB, 509 views)

Last edited by Howe’s Hunter; 10-22-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Thanks a lot for the kind words Ryan. The project was a labor of love for many years but has lagged for a little while recently. If you find any unique stamps and have scans, I'd be very happy to add them to the project.

Michael, if you have a scan of the Anderson back you had I would add it to the project as well and it would give the Anderson back it's own page as it would be two of the same stamp.

Judson, I have never seen another agent for the Saturday Evening Post other than Anderson! That's pretty cool that you have seen several others from around the country. I'll have to keep an eye out for more.

Matt, here's a stamp similar to your "bobby" cop stamp. This one looks like a old time cop saluting.

Let's see some more back stamps guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SalutingMan1.jpg (68.8 KB, 542 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 PM
Greg

Default Magee Batting

I personally enjoy them as long as the back isn't entirely covered.

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
Jackie, Ruth, Cobb, Tickets, Type 1 Photos, Trout

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 10
Old 10-23-2018, 06:10 AM
Joe

Love the back stamp. I have 40ish with one name. I researched the person and look for them. They are also cheaper as the stamp knocks the grade down 2 spots. A piece of history and a piece of the collectors history. To each their own.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:45 PM
Jay

Default Back stamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Thanks a lot for the kind words Ryan. The project was a labor of love for many years but has lagged for a little while recently. If you find any unique stamps and have scans, I'd be very happy to add them to the project.

Michael, if you have a scan of the Anderson back you had I would add it to the project as well and it would give the Anderson back it's own page as it would be two of the same stamp.

Judson, I have never seen another agent for the Saturday Evening Post other than Anderson! That's pretty cool that you have seen several others from around the country. I'll have to keep an eye out for more.

Matt, here's a stamp similar to your "bobby" cop stamp. This one looks like a old time cop saluting.

Let's see some more back stamps guys!
Really like your site Andy. Very cool database you've compiled. Do you have any special info on the F Scott backstamps? I've read the posts on this site, just wondering if there's any more info out there. I really like those.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206kid View Post
Really like your site Andy. Very cool database you've compiled. Do you have any special info on the F Scott backstamps? I've read the posts on this site, just wondering if there's any more info out there. I really like those.
I've never discovered anything concrete regarding the F Scott stamps. Everything I've read is all theories and maybes. I like to believe they are his stamps just based on the long standing rumor in the hobby. I really like these stamps as well.

Everyone, thank you so much for your responses, images and kind words about my project. You guys are awesome.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here