NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Default Dot pattern on real T206's

Posted By: steve

is it true that you can tell a fake t206 card buy the dotd under a magnifying glass, and also i was wondering if they made t206 cards in the "50"s or "60"s?. if so, how can you tell them apart if they look identical to the t206 1909 originals? i have been interested in tobacco cards for about 15 years and never new until recently that they possably made reprints in the 50"s or 60"s. i have one more question for you all, if they did make t206 cards in the 50"s or 60"s, did they make BLANK BACK ones?
thank you for taking the time to read this, if anybody out there knows the answers to my questions, could you please reply or e-mail me at senichols1962@yahoo.com
thank you,
steve

edited title to be more specific

Old 05-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I have yet to see a good reprint of a T206 that has fooled me. 90% have design differences especially missing the black border arounf picture, the caption is different or the back is wrong color or missing the factory district #, etc. The only ones that may fool a T206 collector in a picture is the ones that are homemade made from a scan of a real card, and printed out on an inkjet printer. These are sometimes hard to tell in a picture, but in person would be obvious.

Post a picture of your card.

I believe all reprints are from the late 1970-now era, why would they reprint a T206 in the 50's or 60's, the authentic cards are common and were easily obtained for well under $1 back then. The Wagner may have been reprinted earlier than the 70's but I doubt it.

PS If you are talking about that blank backed Wagner thats been around eBay for sometime, it is garbage and not even a good reprint, it has the same look as the reprint from the mid 80's "Baseball Card Magazine".

Frank

Old 05-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Steve,

There are others better suited to answer this question than myself, but I believe that when looking under a magnifying glass, an original t206 will have a pattern of single color dots (several different colors may be found, but each dot is a single color). The dot pattern found in modern reprints are, I believe, more geometrically shaped (octagon maybe?)and are multi-colored. The best way to tell the difference is take a modern bb card and look at it under a magnifying glass - that will show you what a t206 should not look like.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Yes, it is true that you can easily identify a reprinted card from an original by looking at it under a magnifier. drCycleback is the expert in this field and he is published in this and other areas.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

The dots on the original T206's lack a consistent shape and fall into no specific pattern with the other dots. The dots on reprints are arranged symetrically forming a pattern. The dots themselves are also usually more well defined.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

what other have said is true. i agree the earliest reprint is from the late 70's.
those are the toughest to distinguish, as they may have honest wear associated with "older" cards.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

I use to be in the screent printing business and modern photo printing is done usually with only 4 colors, cyan, magenta, yellow and black. Each color is a screen of dots set at a particular angle, thus it creates a pattern or a moire. I believe the T206's where originally printed using 6 colors and the technology back then would not use the same type of angles in the dot patterns as they do today.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Yes Robert, that is my understanding as well. Specifically if you look at a brown (for example) area on a real t206, you will see brown dots. On a fake t206 you will see yellow, pink, black and blue (and combinations depending on density and shade of coloration). It is a color of the dots thing.

I think that cyan + magenta = pink + blue; but Im not sure which is which.