NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Default CSA Grading Card Company

Posted By: Bob

Did this used to be the Canadian affiliate of PSA? Do you guys trust it?
Thanks,
Bob

Old 10-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce MacPherson

Bob,
FWIW, I have owned two cards graded by them. A Goudey Ruth 3 crossed to an SGC 40 and a CJ Crawford 3 crossed to an SGC 30.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

You're too funny... kind of like ASA is the Australlian PSA and NASA is the Bahamian PSA... I trust them like I'd trust PRO...

Actually, I've purchased CSA cards, cracked them and resubmitted them to either PSA or SGC and received between 1 to 2 grades lower than the CSA label.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Fred, No, I actually heard that somewhere years ago. The thing I was wondering was not so much the grade but if the cards they grade are truly real and original. I wanted to make sure they didn't grade replicas, fakes or reprints.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I'm pretty sure this is a California Company. I lived in las Vegas for 5 years 1996-2001 and used to frequent a card store in NW Vegas. The 2 owners were Father and Son and this Company used to do grading on site.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Bob,

Everything I've seen and heard about CSA is that they graded "real" cards, but were a little generous on the grades. I haven't heard of any CSA graded reprints (yet)? My guess is that if it looks real then drop it a few grades and if it's a bargain then pick up the card and crack it out of the holder (if you're going to sell it).

I thought you were kidding about CSA, sorry.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Parmentier

Gamblers occasionally get lucky.

6 or 7 years ago I submittted to PSA my first T206, a Cobb bat on CSA 5, for crossover. Near happiest day of my life when grades were posted - it made it, now a PSA 5.

Since I have tried once more - a 1954 Ted Williams CSA 7 pq nmt. Looked spectacular - thought a lock for a PSA 8. Came back a PSA 6 - tiny surface wrinkle on back - was it there when I submitted to PSA ??? Oh, well.

Steve.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

I believe KSA is a Canadian grading company
although there's no affiliation w/ PSA

Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Their record is spotty. If you are lucky the card will cross over more or less equally but they have slabbed trimmed and altered cards too. I got 2 of those in the Teletrade days.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

If buying a CSA card, make sure it is an older slab. The new ones with the holographic logo label are likely trimmed. If buying one, stick to the butt ugly blue holders or red label ones.

Here's some examples of what to buy and not to buy:

edited personal info

YES:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CSA-10-Randy-Moss-Rookie-1998-Bowman-182-Gem-Mint_W0QQitemZ280156626593QQihZ018QQcategoryZ28099 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

YES:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110173931126>

Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Bob--CSA was founded and has always been (still is) in London, OH. Between Columbus and Dayton I believe. Being an Ohio boy, I used them exclusively (before SGC opened) in the mid-late '90's. Have broken many slabs (remember those big ugly blue ones?) and crossed them. Never had a card returned ungraded by SGC that CSA had slabbed, and always within a grade. Think their biggest problem was an identity crisis, changing holders 3 times within a five year period. The guys are always willing to pick up a telephone call and discuss any issues, and submission returns are timely. Don't confuse them with PRO, KSA, or some of the goner's. Personally speaking, I'd use them in a heartbeat if SGC wasn't around...

Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Haas

Bought a TY Cobb bat on shoulder last year and sent it to GAI for crossover on 24 hr pregrade. GAI called and told me it was trimmed. I called seller from ebay who repeatedly sells CSA graded cards and convinced him to refund my money.
I emailed CSA and told them what I thought, but of course the "President" emailed me back threatening a libel lawsuit if I pursued my course of action. I told him to "bring it on" but he obviously did not. Don't trust the CSA with holograms. I can't vouch for the other CSA's.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

Back when they first started up in the mid-1990s, they were owned by a fellow named Wayne Moore. For the first few years, everything they slabbed would crossover nicely. But, anything in the more recent hologram slabs, I wouldn't take a chance with.