NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 AM

Default 1916 Zeenut- Jimmy Claxton: First US Pro African American Baseball Card

I recently "won" (i.e., paid a fortune for) in REA, the 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton pictured below. Over the past few weeks I have shown it to people -- collectors and non-collectors alike -- and very few people knew what it is and/or who Jimmy Claxton was. I must admit, until about 2 months ago I too had no idea who Jimmy Claxton was or why the card is so special. However, after being tipped-off to the card in September, I did some research and was totally blown away by the importance of, and the story behind, this card; not to mention its rarity (SGC shows 6 graded and PSA shows 1 graded). It really is incredible -- the coincidences and events that had to converge to make the 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton the first African American on a pro baseball card.

Here is a link to a great article that tells the story. I think it is a story that board members would appreciate and enjoy.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/claxt...gacy/c-8100362
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 Zeenut PCL Jimmy Claxton - Front.jpg (62.1 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-12-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Claify US Pro baseball card
Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 AM
Mark Fox

I think technically Jimmy Claxton was the first African American on a US issued pro baseball card. However I do believe that Pete Hill and Bruce Petway, both African Americans, appear in the 1909 Cabanas and 1910 Punch Cigarros issues from Cuba. This should not distract from the importance of Claxton being the first African American to appear on a US issues card, its a pretty great story.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:59 AM

Cool card.

Wiki says Jimmy was of mixed race, born to Americans in Canada. He claimed to be part native American to keep playing baseball.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
Cool card.

Wiki says Jimmy was of mixed race, born to Americans in Canada. He claimed to be part native American to keep playing baseball.
Great card. I let go the goal of owning one when the prices escalated.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Fred

Treadway - N172, interesting (sad) story

Last edited by Fred; 11-12-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Moses Fleetwood Walker was the first African American on a card. Treadway may have been next; I'm not sure if we know his race with certainty.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Paul Herbener

Great story Ryan, I only read about him after seeing how high the price was getting in REA. Congrats an a very cool pickup!!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Al Jurgela

Default What card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Moses Fleetwood Walker was the first African American on a card. Treadway may have been next; I'm not sure if we know his race with certainty.
Can you please share this card? Thanks.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Max Weder

Ty Phelan has written a Jimmy Claxton bio

https://www.amazon.com/Darkhorse-Jim.../dp/B01AR5A10G

Last edited by baseballart; 11-12-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I recently "won" (i.e., paid a fortune for) in REA, the 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton pictured below. Over the past few weeks I have shown it to people -- collectors and non-collectors alike -- and very few people knew what it is and/or who Jimmy Claxton was. I must admit, until about 2 months ago I too had no idea who Jimmy Claxton was or why the card is so special. However, after being tipped-off to the card in September, I did some research and was totally blown away by the importance of, and the story behind, this card; not to mention its rarity (SGC shows 6 graded and PSA shows 1 graded). It really is incredible -- the coincidences and events that had to converge to make the 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton the first African American on a pro baseball card.

Here is a link to a great article that tells the story. I think it is a story that board members would appreciate and enjoy.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/claxt...gacy/c-8100362
That went for a big number! Congrats... super underappreciated card. When one went for $5k a few years ago at Hake's I was shocked, but I am glad to see the market appreciating the story and importance (of player and card).

Here are a few of the other Pete Hill cards mentioned (that predate the Claxton - but are issued overseas in Cuba)... but there are other (Lloyd, Petway, etc.).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hill Cabanas close up.jpg (78.8 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg Pete Hill Punch Close up.jpg (71.1 KB, 292 views)
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
I think technically Jimmy Claxton was the first African American on a US issued pro baseball card. However I do believe that Pete Hill and Bruce Petway, both African Americans, appear in the 1909 Cabanas and 1910 Punch Cigarros issues from Cuba. This should not distract from the importance of Claxton being the first African American to appear on a US issues card, its a pretty great story.
Right, first Pro, US baseball card. I am sure there are numerous African American cards that predate 1916, several of which have been pointed out on this thread.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:30 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Both Walker and Treadway were US pros. Walker played in the major leagues, Claxton did not.

Last edited by oldjudge; 11-12-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Both Walker and Treadway were US pros. Walker played in the major leagues, Claxton did not.
According to the article I posted:

"But the most intriguing and historically significant Zeenut baseball card was produced in 1916. It featured 23-year-old Oakland Oaks pitcher Jimmy Claxton, the first black player ever to receive such an honor.

The last was the first

Claxton was not only the first black player on a baseball card, he was the last to appear in organized baseball until Jackie Robinson's epochal 1946 debut with the International League's Montreal Royals."

And REA's description states:

"Pitcher Jimmy Claxton's color robbed him of a career as a professional ballplayer, but he was immortalized on this Zeenut Candy card issued in 1916. This card is of great historical significance as it is the very first American-issued baseball card featuring a black ballplayer. Claxton was Canadian born, and of African-American and Indian descent. For a single brief week in 1916 he joined the roster of the Oakland Oaks of the Pacific Coast League, but complaints by both fans and players resulted in his quick release. By chance, the week Claxton was with the Oaks was also the very week the Zeenut photographer stopped by for pictures, resulting in the issuing of this extremely rare and important card"

So I dont know what the technical description is, but its a cool card that is generally regarded as having historical and cultural significance. If anyone wants a better description (or rather a more accurate description), I guess I will send them to "oldjudge" on Net54 for guidance, rather than forward the article or other available descriptions.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

That is an amazing card to own Ryan. Enjoy it!
Old 11-12-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

So I dont know what the technical description is, but its a cool card that is generally regarded as having historical and cultural significance.
It is also one of the 1916 Zeenut cards that forever ensures it will be impossible for me to finish the set. Congrats on the pickup!

Brian
Old 11-12-2018, 12:31 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

From REA: https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...etwood-walker/

This card was not from Walker’s major league career, but there are such cards known. As for Treadway, it is believed that he was black, but it has not been proved. Treadway is in the Old Judge set. His card is a professional one, not a major league card. The Claxton is a neat card though.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:02 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Ty Phelan has written a Jimmy Claxton bio

https://www.amazon.com/Darkhorse-Jim.../dp/B01AR5A10G

Indeed. I highly recommend it as the story goes well beyond his few weeks in the PCL. Mr. Phelan did a great job with tons of research

Last edited by btcarfagno; 11-12-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:47 PM

Default Treadway myth

Bill James does a great job of blowing up the myth that treadway - who did have a dark complex but never claimed or has been shown to have mixed race heritage- was thrown out of the league for being black. He just wasn’t very good he was a way under average batter for the time and just didn’t stick
Old 11-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Ron Skaggs

Hi Ryan,
Most Zeenut collectors do not have there cards graded. So the pop reports from the grading companies could be miss leading.
Out of my 3500 different less than 50 are graded. Those are ones with Tabs that i purchased over the years and left them in there tombs.
br
Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 208225.jpg (79.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljurgela View Post
That went for a big number! Congrats... super underappreciated card. When one went for $5k a few years ago at Hake's I was shocked, but I am glad to see the market appreciating the story and importance (of player and card).

Here are a few of the other Pete Hill cards mentioned (that predate the Claxton - but are issued overseas in Cuba)... but there are other (Lloyd, Petway, etc.).
Amazing cards, Al
Old 11-13-2018, 09:12 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Thanks... some of my favorites....

As are the Claxton cards.... they are amazing...
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards