NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Default Cracker Jack / Frank Owens Question

Posted By: Richard

Morning Folks,

Finding an answer to this question is probably a long shot, but here goes...I am trying to assemble a list of Canadian-born players with pre-1920 cards.

That said, according to baseball-reference.com and wikipedia.org, Frank Owens was born in Toronto, Ontario on January 26, 1886. BR lists him as having played in the Federal Leagues in 1914 and 1915.

Accordingly, card #74 of the Cracker Jack sets features Frank Owens with the Brooklyn Federals. The bio on the back of the card, however, says Owens was born in Wausau (Wisconsin?) on June 21, 1886.

Anyone have any idea which birth place is correct?

Thanks in advance,

Richard.

BR: http://www.baseball-reference.com/o/owensfr01.shtml
Card Image: http://www.timepassagesnostalgia.com/&searchkeywords=cracker+jack+frank+owen&sis=-1&rdir=1

Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

2004 Baseball Encyclopedia (the one closest to my pc) lists Toronto, Ontario, Canada as the birthplace of Frank Owens, 1-26-1886. Minneapolis is listed as place of death.

That doesn't exactly answer your question.

This Wikipedia link shows Toronto...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Owens

I've found some mistakes on the backs of those Cracker Jacks. None come to mind at this moment. But I recall getting a reprint set just so I could read all of the backs, my plan was (and still is, but going nowhere at present) to use that and lots more to put together a biography book on the guys in T206. Anyway, some of the stuff on the back of the CJ's is incorrect. Maybe this is an example.

Good luck with it.

Frank W.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Thanks, Frank. I appreciate the response.

Aside from the back of the CJ itself, every source I've checked (Baseball-Reference, Wikipedia, BaseballCube, baseball-almanac) lists Toronto as his birth place. While I'd like to say that the odds are then in favour of the Cracker Jack being wrong, I was hesitant to go that far, as I assume all of these sites are ultimately using the same source, which really means one source says Wausau and one says Toronto.

After reading your response, I am now thinking that my original question should have simply been: "Has anyone found the bios on 1914/1915 Cracker Jacks to contain errors?"

That said, I am going to assume the Cracker Jack bio is wrong, unless or until some compelling evidence presents itself. If nothing else, this brings my 'pre-1920 Canadian-born type set' to a nice even 15 cards.

Thanks again, Frank.

Regards,

Richard.