NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

So many insightful, well-thought out posts today. What surprises me mainly is that the guys with little cash on this thread are the smartest of all. I can't understand how you guys don't earn more money to buy more expensive cards. Seriously, you guys need to live up to your potential. Thanks for the tips, I'm actually about to buy two new cars this week.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It's quite possible that Jeff, oops, I mean the lawyer in NY, has as much of an appreciation of the history behind the cards as you do, he just has a little more disposable income.
I don't know who Jeff is, and that's a fair point. The topic of the thread was about what's hurting the hobby, and my take is that diminishing availability and high prices have made it very difficult for young collectors to break into the hobby. There's gonna be a huge generation gap, and that's bound to hurt the hobby.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The topic of the thread was about what's hurting the hobby, and my take is that diminishing availability and high prices have made it very difficult for young collectors to break into the hobby. There's gonna be a huge generation gap, and that's bound to hurt the hobby.
pre-war HOFers were never the area that fed new kids into the hobby. And while prices for pre-war are at or near all time highs, availability has never been higher with all the auction houses and the popularity of the Internet. Plus, beat up T206 commons can still be had for $10. I do appreciate your take on it as being a new comer to the pre-war arena.

Last edited by Matt; 05-23-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
pre-war HOFers were never the area that fed new kids into the hobby. And while prices for pre-war are at or near all time highs, availability has never been higher with all the auction houses and the popularity of the Internet. Plus, beat up T206 commons can still be had for $10. I do appreciate your take on it as being a new comer to the pre-war arena.
Consider it from the newcomer's perspective, because once you're "in" of course you know the network. Auction houses aren't well advertised unless you're on mailing lists or post here, and they're frankly kind of intimidating and probably not the best choice for a beginner anyway. You're right, eBay helps, but you gotta know exactly what you're looking for. Most of the vintage baseball card internet sites I came across when I jumped in looked dead and few actually posted an inventory; however, there are several sites about vintage cards that are amazing for learning about the hobby. Much has been said in these forums about the lack vintage cards at local card shops or even at well-advertised shows.

Incidentally, I got my start on eBay and through the classifieds/craigslist. I went to one show (Chantilly), and it actually kinda turned me off.

Last edited by Tex; 05-23-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Matt Wieder

Tex - you're comparing it with what you think was available in pre-war 10-20 years ago. I can assure you there is quite a bit more available now due to the internet/auction houses etc. then was available 10-20 years ago.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Tex....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Consider it from the newcomer's perspective, because once you're "in" of course you know the network. Auction houses aren't well advertised unless you're on mailing lists or post here, and they're frankly kind of intimidating and probably not the best choice for a beginner anyway. You're right, eBay helps, but you gotta know exactly what you're looking for. Most of the vintage baseball card internet sites I came across when I jumped in looked dead and few actually posted an inventory; however, there are several sites about vintage cards that are amazing for learning about the hobby. Much has been said in these forums about the lack vintage cards at local card shops or even at well-advertised shows.

Incidentally, I got my start on eBay and through the classifieds/craigslist. I went to one show (Chantilly), and it actually kinda turned me off.
While I would agree that some great pre-war cards get taken off of the market I think there is still a lot to go around. There are also a lot of great cards that get recycled. It's patience that counts when you are in a marathon. regards
Old 05-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, I do agree w/our new collector that the entry price points on many vintage cards are daunting for someone new and/or w/o ridiculous disposable income. One of the factors that's turned me off from vintage collecting over the years is the need to assess each purchase as though it was an investment simply because of the amount of money that has to be committed to a purchase. I was lucky enough to obtain much of my collection before the heavy price boom in vintage hit. I never thought I'd spend anywhere close to four figures on a card (T206 Wagner excluded, of course) and now it takes high three and into four figures to get hold of any of a wide variety of cards that a starting collector would find attactive otherwise. That has to be very intimidating and discouraging to a younger collector w/presumably fewer financial resources and larger looming expenses (starting a family, and so on).

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...