NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Posted By: josh

what does everyone think of new photo on REA blog?

Old 10-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Wow! I guess Jeremy wasn't pulling our leg. Barry was right it's a salt print.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Posted By: Clint

It really doesn't do much for me. I prefer my photos to have the players in uniform or at the very least something baseball related in them. Barry's panorama is still tops to me.

Clint

Old 10-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Aesthetically it doesn't do much for me either, but I can appreciate the historical significance in the photo. This one is still one of my favorites in my collection - Sam Thompson circa 1906 at Bennett Park.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Posted By: Jason Mishelow

ok what does "artist enhanced solar enlarged salt print diplay of a photo taken in 1862" mean-( this is the REA description)

Old 10-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Posted By: Anonymous

I'm floored. With the unusual large size and the fact that he was hesitant to post any pics of it, I had my doubts. WRONG!!!! Way to go Jeremy!

Great find!!

Rob M.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Posted By: Anonymous

"Artist enhanced" is just the artistic touch-up to the image that was done by hand.

"Salt prints" were similar to albumen images but preceeded them. It was mostly used in the mid 1850's to the early 1860's. Albumens apparently were a cheaper method so they took over the market.

The "solar enhanced" comment - I've got a general idea of what that is but don't think I'll try to tackle it in case I'm wrong.

Rob M.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Check your email guys - REA has included the story of the find and how it was found in a new email.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Posted By: davidcycleback

It presumably means an original salt print photograph that has been tinted or colored or enhanced with chalk or something. Salt prints were commonly colored. You developed the photos with sunlight back then. As a type, salt prints are scarce with only a few sports examples known. The first ever paper photograph was a salt print.

As salt prints often faded and deteriorated, the image quality of this photo is as good as it gets.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Sweet photo.

I still can't see it very well.....I only got about three hours of sleep last night and my adrenalin is still pumping.

Can't wait to see how it does in auction. It's very cool hearing of finds like this where pieces come out of hiding rather than artifacts just changing hands from collector to collector over the years. Makes you wonder what else is out there. I received that email from Rob as well Dan. It's also fascinating when a newly discovered piece has a great provenance to it. Good luck to the family consigning the piece and to the auction house. The only thing I usually discover around our house are bills

Old 10-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Posted By: barrysloate

As I mentioned on the other board, the photo was found just a little over an hour east of me, and I've passed through that town hundreds of times. But there was no way to know such a photo existed.

It's historically very significant, but I'm not sure it will sell for a great deal of money. It's a bunch of middle aged men in suits, none of whom are recognizable even to the average baseball historian. Great find, not visually arresting.

And salt prints were typically enhanced, or colored as Rob mentioned. The surface was such that paint easily adhered, so it became a common practice.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default REA photo

Posted By: Jimmy

I posted a link to a some nice reading on this photo in my post on the main board and this board - great piece of history

Jmmy