NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2016, 09:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default PSA vs. GGC web sites

Much prefer PSA website when searching for population report. Like the way it gives you the entire year and you can then see the whole series in a glance and then zero in on specific card. Many times I get errors on SGC because I dont know precisely what the exact set name is or where there is a variation in player name. Nowhere near as user friendly.

Plus sometimes with SGC I just get zeros across the board and I have no idea whether that's a real output or just some kind of default error message because I did something wrong. Doesn't give you any info on what you are looking at.

Bad web design many levels.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-18-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Steven Finley

People can proclaim it be grading standards or reputation, but the singular reason PSA has cemented itself as the industry leader is that instituted a user-friendly set registry and when they first saw its popularity they ran with it.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Daryl

PSA's website works great; especially the mobile version.

FYI, you might want to double check this thread's title.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Bad web design many levels.
+ 1 . . . Not user friendly. Haven't used it in years.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
...Bad web design many levels.
Why do you get to post anonymously? How about putting your name to your opinions?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:25 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Easy pal. Who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

I expressed an opinion that I don't care for their website. I didn't say they were crooks or defrauding people or despicable businessmen. In fact I have previously posted that I love their slabs and far prefer them to the competition. I voiced an opinion. Wasn't calling their integrity into question.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:36 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Easy pal. Who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

I expressed an opinion that I don't care for their website. I didn't say they were crooks or defrauding people or despicable businessmen. In fact I have previously posted that I love their slabs and far prefer them to the competition. I voiced an opinion. Wasn't calling their integrity into question.
I think you still need to put your full name in the post. According to the rule listed at the top of the page: " If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post."
Old 04-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I didn't give an opinion on a person or a company. I gave an opinion on a website.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I didn't give an opinion on a person or a company. I gave an opinion on a website.
+1. It's like saying broken slabs stink, and I hate when I get them in the mail.

Now, if he said, PSA does a real shitty job at packing and they keep sending me broken slabs,.......

That might need a name. I say so much, I just put my name out there just in case!

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-18-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If someone says this new REA catalog looks great, that's an opinion on a catalog.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:57 AM
David $tephens

I like PSA's registry and fact that I am comfortable with finding what I am looking for. All things being equal, PSA does a great job.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:07 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Im pretty sure saying their website sucks qualifies as an opinion of a company for net54 purposes, even though I completely agree with the assessment. I have been on the site and could not find a way to verify a cert #. SGC did verify it when I called though.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:32 PM

Default thoughts...

PSA website is better than SGC, just is.

However, I am not concerned with websites when I purchase a card. I buy the card not the holder, and realize PSA brings more value than SGC, and I adjust my willing purchase price accordingly.

The PSA Set Registry is not for me, but many folks do like the competitive ranking. Obviously the Registry helps to significantly drive prices. SGC has no qualifiers, and you have to wade thru a lot more off-center stuff to get a nice SGC card. This probably hurts SGC values.

Would you rather have a PSA 7 card that has poor centering for the grade, but not OC, or an SGC 84 card that has near perfect centering and less expensive? All other things equal - I will go for the SGC every time.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Im pretty sure saying their website sucks qualifies as an opinion of a company for net54 purposes, even though I completely agree with the assessment. I have been on the site and could not find a way to verify a cert #. SGC did verify it when I called though.
Yeap. My litmus test, other than the clear rule at the top of each page, is putting myself in the place of a company or person (or website owner etc..._) who is being talked about...then, If I would want to know who is saying something, that is the test I use. And I almost always want to know. I am pretty sure he isn't, but how do we know Snapolit doesn't work for a competitor of SGC?
It is black and white to me. We aren't playing semantics. If you give an opinion of a companies website you are giving an opinion that pertains to them.

Last edited by Leon; 04-18-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Leon - it's you site (and I enjoy it immensely) and I am happy to play by the rules, but that rule is really unenforceable. Every post in this thread contains an opinion. Most of them contain more than one opinion on SGC. Many positive and some not. I get the point of now allowing people to anonymously trash people and companies, but if your test was applied literally it would apply to over 90% of what's posted here. On basically every thread.

Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Last edited by Leon; 04-18-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: masked name
Old 04-18-2016, 02:49 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yeap. My litmus test, other than the clear rule at the top of each page, is putting myself in the place of a company or person (or website owner etc..._) who is being talked about...then, If I would want to know who is saying something, that is the test I use. And I almost always want to know. I am pretty sure he isn't, but how do we know Snapolit doesn't work for a competitor of SGC?
It is black and white to me. We aren't playing semantics. If you give an opinion of a companies website you are giving an opinion that pertains to them.
When giving an opinion, should I also put my last name or can I leave it in the about me section? I don't like bad mouthing anybody, but in case I do I surely don't want to break any rules.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
When giving an opinion, should I also put my last name or can I leave it in the about me section? I don't like bad mouthing anybody, but in case I do I surely don't want to break any rules.
I appreciate Snapolit1's understanding and yours too. The rule is not to try to catch someone having their name be technically correct anywhere. As long as, by your post or signature, we can easily find out who you are then there is no need for a name. After Steve (Snapolit1) and I just spoke I am going to mask his name and put it under his user id, where the word Member is. I can do that for anyone. It will be masked so it is not searchable and now he can go on and be himself and folks will know who is saying what.

Last edited by Leon; 04-18-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:08 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I appreciate Snapolit1's understanding and yours too. The rule is not to try to catch someone having their name be technically correct anywhere. As long as, by your post or signature, we can easily find out who you are then there is no need for a name. After Steve (Snapolit1) and I just spoke I am going to mask his name and put it under his user id, where the word Member is. I can do that for anyone. It will be masked so it is not searchable and now he can go on and be himself and folks will know who is saying what.
Ok, its a very understandable rule.