NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2023, 02:15 PM
Phil Garry

Default Is this really a buyer’s market?

If you are one of those who watch YouTube content regularly, you have surely heard just about every channel lately touting what a great time it is to buy sports cards with prices being so far below levels of a year or two ago. Well, today I did some exploring on eBay, searching for the GOAT vintage basketball cards that have come down the most over the past couple of years. As a buyer looking for good deals on ‘61 Fleer Wilts, Oscars, Jerrys and ‘69 Kareems, I came up empty handed. Beginning with the lowest PSA priced of each one of those cards, all I found was every single card with roughly 90/10 centering one way or the other or both with basically zero exhibiting what I would describe as superior eye appeal for the grade. I went up to around PSA 5 levels for each without being able to find a single example that I would be looking to jump on if I had the excess funds to make a purchase right now. As just a small sampling, I didn’t do any football, hockey or baseball but would expect to find similar results.

So, my conclusion is that no sellers or extremely few sellers are willing to part with their high eye appeal cards in this market and if they could possibly just hold on to all of them without selling, they absolutely will do that. Thus, where does that leave the astute buyer looking to take advantage of the down market as everyone is promoting? Take what you can get? This doesn’t seem like an ideal buying strategy to me.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-07-2023 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:45 PM
Drew W@i$e

I have a long post about why I am waiting a while to purchase a card. But I will tell you that looking on eBay is about the worst thing to do if you want to buy a card. It is mostly all just show and tell now.

Last edited by parkplace33; 11-07-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:47 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I think the biggest flaw in your strategy is probably your venue. Expecting to get screaming deals on eBay (particularly for BIN stuff or high starting bids) is a bit optimistic, aside from an occasional lucky strike.

I suspect if you look to the average auction house, particularly for mid grade stuff that is readily available, you’ll find some prices that are more enticing. Some stuff will still go nuts. But your odds of success should be a bit better, particularly if you’re willing to be disciplined and bow out when you hit your limit for any given piece.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-07-2023, 02:49 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Buy-it-nows for cards like those are rarely priced attractively or in line with recent auction results from what I observe. Have to go the auction route to find the right deal a lot of times...both on and off ebay. I follow the Wilt and Kareem RCs a bit and definitely see some softening, but gotta hunt them down and battle it out in the auction space.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:54 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
If you are one of those who watch YouTube content regularly, you have surely heard just about every channel lately touting what a great time it is to buy sports cards with prices being so far below levels of a year or two ago. Well, today I did some exploring on eBay, searching for the GOAT vintage basketball cards that have come down the most over the past couple of years. As a buyer looking for good deals on ‘61 Fleer Wilts, Oscars, Jerrys and ‘69 Kareems, I came up empty handed. Beginning with the lowest PSA priced of each one of those cards, all I found was every single card with roughly 90/10 centering one way or the other or both with basically zero exhibiting what I would describe as superior eye appeal for the grade. I went up to around PSA 5 levels for each without being able to find a single example that I would be looking to jump on if I had the excess funds to make a purchase right now. As just a small sampling, I didn’t do any football, hockey or baseball but would expect to find similar results.

So, my conclusion is that no sellers or extremely few sellers are willing to part with their high eye appeal cards in this market and if they could possibly just hold on to all of them without selling, they absolutely will do that. Thus, where does that leave the astute buyer looking to take advantage of the down market as everyone is promoting? Take what you can get? This doesn’t seem like an ideal buying strategy to me.
Ebay sellers may be slow to react to market. Auction results show the market in real time. The cards you mentioned are definitely selling for less now.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-07-2023, 02:55 PM
Phil Garry

All true. However, when prices were following Superman (up, up and away) there were all kinds of high eye appeal cards in every grade on eBay, sellers couldn’t make them available fast enough for the “going rate” and capitalize on the 100%, 500%, 1,000% increase over a couple of years earlier. I should know, it seems that I bought most of them, at least as many as I could afford.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-07-2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:59 PM
octavio ranzola

Market is just fine
Old 11-07-2023, 03:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

I'd like to see the people who are always opining on where the market is and where it's going actually keep track of their predictions and do it over a period of a few years so we can see just how right or wrong they were.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:09 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I'd like to see the people who are always opining on where the market is and where it's going actually keep track of their predictions and do it over a period of a few years so we can see just how right or wrong they were.
Sounds like we have a volunteer to keep score!

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-07-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I think the biggest flaw in your strategy is probably your venue. Expecting to get screaming deals on eBay (particularly for BIN stuff or high starting bids) is a bit optimistic, aside from an occasional lucky strike.

I suspect if you look to the average auction house, particularly for mid grade stuff that is readily available, you’ll find some prices that are more enticing. Some stuff will still go nuts. But your odds of success should be a bit better, particularly if you’re willing to be disciplined and bow out when you hit your limit for any given piece.
100% agree.

When a card is listed in an auction, the owner has already decided he is selling the card and will let the market determine the card's value. Once the card is consigned to the auction house, it will be sold and the owner has lost control over its ultimate disposition. Ebay is a store, where the proprietors are setting their prices and determining when and on what terms they will sell. Thus, many people listing cards listed on Ebay are not "sellers" unless they get what they want.

Maybe cards are selling for solid prices at auction houses, but at least the market is determining the value on items that will be sold once at least one bid is placed.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:24 PM
Phil Garry

Is it easier to buy a card on eBay or via AH?
Old 11-07-2023, 03:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Sounds like we have a volunteer to keep score!
I nominate parkplace (Drew), he seems endlessly fascinated with the market and prices.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:45 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Is it easier to buy a card on eBay or via AH?
I'm slightly paranoid that this is a joke, and you're not really asking. But at the risk of looking like a tool for stating a lot of obvious stuff, the answer probably depends on what you mean by "easy".

Also probably depends on how you weigh various elements.

eBay is often pretty quick. For BIN stuff, you can buy it on the spot, and often it gets shipped within a few days. If it's going through the authentication guarantee, then that can add a week (give or take) to your turnaround. Most eBay auctions last for 7-10 days, so it tends to be pretty quick. Also don't have to worry about a buyer's premium. The closing process for eBay auctions is also pretty easy - when the time comes, whoever has the highest bid wins. No extended bidding. At the same time, if you're dealing with a seller who's not well known, then there's always the possibility that they might play their own games, which is no fun. eBay also has the advantage that there's really no registration requirement. Anyone can sign up and bid. While there are some drawbacks there, for a buyer it makes the process a little easier. eBay also tends to have pretty small bid increments, which is nice.

eBay also tends to have pretty simple saved search features that make it easy to check if anything new has come online since the last time you checked. Although certainly some will tell you that those searches aren't perfect.

For most AHs, the process can take longer. Most sizeable auctions last for a few weeks (except for the smaller weeklies). Usually they have a registration requirement, which can take a few days or longer. They will want references, and some may even require that you submit documentation about your ability to pay. Some have an exciting closing process that can drag on for a while as long as people keep bidding, which can often last well into the night, particularly if you're on the east coast. Some AHs limit the forms of payment, as many don't accept credit cards, so that can add another layer of fun. And if you're paying by personal check, then it will add to the turnaround time to get your item. Most auction houses also have exciting minimum bid increments that can get pretty wide as an item rises in price, which not everyone loves, as you might be forced to increase your bid by $1k, when you really only wanted to go up by $500.

Most AHs also don't have a real easy way to save searches. So you're usually left to do manual online searches. And even then, sometimes exciting stuff doesn't get picked up and so I often find myself working through the entire online catalog just to be safe.

Ultimately, I buy from anywhere that will sell me stuff, and that has the stuff that I want, which is becoming harder to find these days. So personally, I'd focus less on ease of use, and focus more on finding the stuff that you want at a price that works for you. The rest is just details and process.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-07-2023, 03:51 PM
Phil Garry

I am not looking to buy anything now. My point is that it’s a lot more of a hassle to buy specific cards from AH’s than eBay. When prices were sky high, you could find everything that you wanted on eBay so no need to go the AH route. Now that prices are way down, it’s a major struggle to find anything appealing on eBay and requires more resorting to the AH’s. That is my point.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-07-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:01 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I am not looking to buy anything now. My point is that it’s a lot more of a hassle to buy specific cards from AH’s than eBay. When prices were sky high, you could find everything that you wanted on eBay so no need to go the AH route. Now that prices are way down, it’s a major struggle to find anything appealing on eBay and requires more resorting to the AH’s. That is my point.
A lot more hassle seems like an overstatement to me. I do think if you've never registered, then it can seem like a hassle. But my experience is that it's not that difficult.

Maybe I've just grown accustomed to buying from AHs, so it doesn't seem like a hassle to me. The various elements that seem more painful than just going to eBay aren't really that bad. And if it keeps someone from bidding against me, then I'm all for it. Stay away from the AHs and don't give me any competition for my stuff!

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-07-2023, 04:05 PM

I’m not sure it’s the state of the market that has sapped eBay of quality items. There was a large consignment shop on eBay trading a huge amount of cards. They created their own marketplace and took the inventory off eBay.

I do agree there is less pre-war material on eBay now. Again I don’t know that it’s the market but I was used to seeing stuff like Cobb T206s up for auction pretty regularly. They seem to trickle out now. Most of the good stuff is locked away in BIN purgatory.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I’m not sure it’s the state of the market that has sapped eBay of quality items. There was a large consignment shop on eBay trading a huge amount of cards. They created their own marketplace and took the inventory off eBay.

I do agree there is less pre-war material on eBay now. Again I don’t know that it’s the market but I was used to seeing stuff like Cobb T206s up for auction pretty regularly. They seem to trickle out now. Most of the good stuff is locked away in BIN purgatory.
Yes but a lot of those consignments moved to Probstein. Not sure how much to attribute to PWCC .

Old 11-07-2023, 04:29 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

How many items have you been watching that flew under the radar? My guess is probably less than 1%. Great many eyeballs watching every venue. Still a sellers market. You think the Baltimore ruth would come out in a down market? This marlet is akin to ipos during the tech run up. People buying anything and everything on hype, or fomo prices will increase.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-07-2023, 04:32 PM

A lot of AH’s have adopted the weekly auction too. That must be eating into what might have been eBay inventory in the past.

Last edited by packs; 11-07-2023 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:41 PM
Phil Garry

Good point regarding the weekly/monthly auctions at AH’s these days.

The hassle with the auction houses, I’m looking for a 1961 Fleer Oscar Robertson for under $1K, the best eye appeal example that I can find. First, I have to go to my AH list and search REA, then search Heritage, then Memory Lane, etc. endlessly. I would expect that very few would have one of these in their auction. If they do, every auction ends on different weeks/months, etc. With ebay, I can jump on there and buy one BIN in five minutes. So, the AH hassle seems real to me. Believe me, I did the stay up all night thing to bid on AH items countless times over the years until a massive heart attack eventually. While I certainly do not blame that as the main reason why this happened to me, I’m sure all of the sleepless nights certainly weren’t a plus for my long-term health.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-07-2023 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:19 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
I nominate parkplace (Drew), he seems endlessly fascinated with the market and prices.
Peter, true. I enjoy bringing up interesting topics on this board (as shown by the replies to my posts )

Last edited by parkplace33; 11-07-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Peter, true. I enjoy bringing up interesting topics on this board (as shown by the replies to my posts )

Old 11-07-2023, 06:29 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Seems to me the same people are gloom and doom "the bottom is going to fall out tomorrow" are that way regardless of what's actually happening, and the same people who are "marketing is going to the moon, up up and away" are that way regardless of the facts. Maybe just how people are. Find the facts that support the ideas you already had. Sort of like . . . well a subject we are not supported to talk about here.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

eBay's fee structure and payment service have taken the cost of sale on that platform closer to an AH every year. If you fall under the dreaded "below average" designation, the financial penalty actually makes it more expensive to sell on eBay than to consign to most AHs. eBay has lost five figures of my sales since April as a result. And there is the hassle of fulfillment, the occasional lost item, the thieving SOBs who infect eBay, etc.

Some people have gone over to whatnot, which has a BIN function now and charges substantially less than eBay does.

Others can handle the wild west of selling on facebook or through other social media platforms.

But I digress...

It is a buyer's market if you are peddling mainstream stuff in mainstream condition. Otherwise, not so much. It cycles, like everything else. When things are hopping and sales are strong, I try to squirrel away a few bucks for the downturns to see if I can snap up some bargains.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-07-2023 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:38 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:

I think the cards you were looking for are an exception though. I consider myself an expert on 61 Fleer basketball. It's probably the set I know more about than any other set in any sport. It's a very special set. I am also a centering obsessed collector with clinically diagnosed obsessive-compulsive disorder. I'd wager good money that there isn't a single person on the planet who is more anal about their 61 Fleer set than I am. I upgrade every card in the set to a better-centered copy every chance I get. Pics of my set are below because YAY PICS!

Here are some fun facts:

1) I have never in my life encountered a truly 50/50 centered 1961 Fleer Jerry West RC. It just so happens to align on the sheet at the intersection of the most commonly miscut row and the 2nd most commonly miscut column. I have searched for years for one of these. I saw two that were close. I lost out on one and the other was overgraded and way overpriced (5x "comps"). Mine is centered L/R but off T/B.

2) A centered Wilt RC pops up maybe once every year or two. They're also super rare. A centered Elgin Baylor RC usually gets rejected by PSA. And I've only seen maybe 3 centered Oscar Robertson RCs ever. Mind you, I've searched this set weekly for years.

3) The entire set is hands down the most wildly miscut set that I'm aware of (perhaps there is some random obscure issue set that could be worse, but I doubt it). Finding any card in this set that is truly centered is like finding a needle in a haystack. Even in high grade. Nearly every 8, 9, and 10 I've seen is still too OC for me.

4) PSA graders have no clue how to grade these cards. They are CONSTANTLY rejected as "minsize" due to ignorance on PSA's part. The factory cuts on these are often narrow, and the factory heights vary by more than 3/4"!! Especially card numbers 1-6, which make up the rightmost column of the uncut sheet. Every single copy of cards 1-6 (which includes 4 HOF RCs: Elgin Baylor RC, Attles RC, Bellamy RC, and Arizin RC) measures narrow. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Every copy that has ever been slabbed by PSA, and every copy they reject. That's just how the sheets were cut. Cards from the rightmost column are narrower than every other card in the set. Getting one through grading at PSA is simply a matter of luck. Did the grader measure it that day or not? I have a centered Arizin that PSA refuses to grade despite the fact that it was in a PSA 7 holder when I bought it (it deserves an 8.5).

Cliff notes: I wouldn't use 1961 Fleer basketball as a proxy for the rest of the market. It has its own set of rules.

These are the cards in my set (a few have been upgraded since the pics were taken).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Fleer Page 1.jpg (206.7 KB, 743 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Fleer Page 2.jpg (208.1 KB, 741 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Fleer Page 3.jpg (207.5 KB, 741 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Fleer Page 4.jpg (211.2 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Fleer Page 5.jpg (208.7 KB, 743 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Fleer Page 6.jpg (210.4 KB, 739 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Fleer Page 7.jpg (211.1 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Fleer Page 8.jpg (220.3 KB, 749 views)
Old 11-07-2023, 08:06 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

It's probably also worth pointing out that the only cards I've seen sliding in price are cards with lower eye appeal. Dead-centered high-eye appeal cards that are difficult to find are still setting records nearly every time they hit an auction block.

As another recent example, I just won this 1963 Topps Mantle at auction on Sunday night. I had to pay $1600 to get it. "Comps" for a PSA 5 are ~$550. Set a new all-time high for the grade. You just can't find cards like this very often. There are plenty of 8s and 9s that surface, but almost none of them look as good as this one. Collectors who care about what their cards know this, and they are still willing to bid whatever it takes to get their cards.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63T Mantle F.jpg (209.2 KB, 731 views)
File Type: jpg 63T Mantle B.jpg (187.1 KB, 731 views)

Last edited by Snowman; 11-07-2023 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
It is no hassle. I bet once you start buying from Auction houses your interest in eBay will go down. But the best part is you can do both! LOTG and REA start soon. Try signing up for both. Familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions - emphasis on bidding increments and closing procedures - and bid on what interests you. If you have any questions, PM me or just ask. There is a whole world outside of eBay and BST

I just read your post that you are familiar with AHs and they gave you a heart attack. Stick with EBay!!!’

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-07-2023 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
A lot of AH’s have adopted the weekly auction too. That must be eating into what might have been eBay inventory in the past.
This is a great point. I don’t sell on eBay (when I sell, it’s private or I consign to an auction house), but my understanding is that eBay has made it very difficult and expensive for sellers, such that for an extra few percentage points it’s just easier to send to an AH and know you will get paid, not disputed, nor have to worry about mail, etc. So I bet eBay has lost sellers to the weekly and other auctions
Old 11-07-2023, 09:00 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
It is no hassle. I bet once you start buying from Auction houses your interest in eBay will go down. But the best part is you can do both! LOTG and REA start soon. Try signing up for both. Familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions - emphasis on bidding increments and closing procedures - and bid on what interests you. If you have any questions, PM me or just ask. There is a whole world outside of eBay and BST
The majority of my purchases are now auction houses followed by net54 member trades/bst, and occasionally EBay which has become a wasteland.

I never get tired of searching multiple auction houses for cards, even if I can't afford the big boys there's always something in my price range, and it's just plain fun looking at all the eye candy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-07-2023, 09:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Me too Phil. It’s fun to browse.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-08-2023, 02:18 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

eBay is still great for post-war vintage. I find cards I love there every week. But I also buy from all the major AHs.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:35 AM
Phil Garry

That’s an awesome basketball set, Travis!

Rest assured that I am not looking for anything close to the centered cards that you have. Just hoping to be able to see at least a smidge of white borders on all four sides of the card, that shouldn’t be too much to ask for, should it? Check eBay though…..
Old 11-08-2023, 04:40 AM
Phil Garry

If the ‘61 Fleer basketball cards are an anomaly, try to find a PSA 10 Fleer Jordan on eBay (spoiler alert, there aren’t any). There were plenty to be had in March of 2021 though.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:38 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
If the ‘61 Fleer basketball cards are an anomaly, try to find a PSA 10 Fleer Jordan on eBay (spoiler alert, there aren’t any). There were plenty to be had in March of 2021 though.

Certainly Not a supply issue

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-08-2023, 06:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Those are phenominal. I am a centering nut too. I probably paid 1.5x - 2x comps for this Musial...and I love it. It's now in a CSG 1.5 holder, which I feel is the correct grade for it.

And of course I agree with the thought that great visual-appeal cards continue to do very well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I think the cards you were looking for are an exception though. I consider myself an expert on 61 Fleer basketball. It's probably the set I know more about than any other set in any sport. It's a very special set. I am also a centering obsessed collector with clinically diagnosed obsessive-compulsive disorder. I'd wager good money that there isn't a single person on the planet who is more anal about their 61 Fleer set than I am. I upgrade every card in the set to a better-centered copy every chance I get. Pics of my set are below because YAY PICS!

Here are some fun facts:

1) I have never in my life encountered a truly 50/50 centered 1961 Fleer Jerry West RC. It just so happens to align on the sheet at the intersection of the most commonly miscut row and the 2nd most commonly miscut column. I have searched for years for one of these. I saw two that were close. I lost out on one and the other was overgraded and way overpriced (5x "comps"). Mine is centered L/R but off T/B.

2) A centered Wilt RC pops up maybe once every year or two. They're also super rare. A centered Elgin Baylor RC usually gets rejected by PSA. And I've only seen maybe 3 centered Oscar Robertson RCs ever. Mind you, I've searched this set weekly for years.

3) The entire set is hands down the most wildly miscut set that I'm aware of (perhaps there is some random obscure issue set that could be worse, but I doubt it). Finding any card in this set that is truly centered is like finding a needle in a haystack. Even in high grade. Nearly every 8, 9, and 10 I've seen is still too OC for me.

4) PSA graders have no clue how to grade these cards. They are CONSTANTLY rejected as "minsize" due to ignorance on PSA's part. The factory cuts on these are often narrow, and the factory heights vary by more than 3/4"!! Especially card numbers 1-6, which make up the rightmost column of the uncut sheet. Every single copy of cards 1-6 (which includes 4 HOF RCs: Elgin Baylor RC, Attles RC, Bellamy RC, and Arizin RC) measures narrow. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Every copy that has ever been slabbed by PSA, and every copy they reject. That's just how the sheets were cut. Cards from the rightmost column are narrower than every other card in the set. Getting one through grading at PSA is simply a matter of luck. Did the grader measure it that day or not? I have a centered Arizin that PSA refuses to grade despite the fact that it was in a PSA 7 holder when I bought it (it deserves an 8.5).

Cliff notes: I wouldn't use 1961 Fleer basketball as a proxy for the rest of the market. It has its own set of rules.

These are the cards in my set (a few have been upgraded since the pics were taken).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg musial.jpg (186.9 KB, 634 views)

Last edited by Leon; 11-08-2023 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:42 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:

Here are some fun facts:

maybe not 50/50 but damn close

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-08-2023, 02:20 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Buyers market

As an eBay seller, I haven't noticed any decrease in sales in the last year. Sales have been pretty steady. I am not a big dealer, but I average between 60 to 80 sales per week. Almost all are vintage cards. I only sell buy-it-now and 60% of my sales are repeat buyers. I actually love the eBay platform. It is a safe and easy place to buy and sell cards.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:07 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
maybe not 50/50 but damn close

This is a really spectacular West RC. It might be the best one I've seen.

In my experience with this set, I suspect the only thing that probably held it back from an even higher grade is probably the tone of the white background. Some cards in this set get a more beige-ish look to them (which my West also has). It happens when they get soaked (warning, this set does not soak well!). It can also happen if they've been stored in a humid climate for a long time. Mine was the result of soaking it because I wanted to flatten it out. It's not a big difference, but it's noticeable when two cards are side-by-side.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:21 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Those are phenominal. I am a centering nut too. I probably paid 1.5x - 2x comps for this Musial...and I love it. It's now in a CSG 1.5 holder, which I feel is the correct grade for it.

And of course I agree with the thought that great visual-appeal cards continue to do very well!
I love cards like this. Low grade, nice centering. I did the exact same thing you did when I acquired my Musial. Bought one that has great eye appeal and a low technical grade due to a small pinhole on the top border. I think I paid about 1.75x comps or so. It was in an SGC 1.5 holder when I bought it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933 Goudey 943.jpg (178.5 KB, 477 views)
Old 11-08-2023, 04:29 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
I am also a centering obsessed collector with clinically diagnosed obsessive-compulsive disorder.
I would like to inquire about more information if you have the time to PM me any info on this misunderstood disease...
Old 11-08-2023, 05:15 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
I would like to inquire about more information if you have the time to PM me any info on this misunderstood disease...
Sure, feel free to PM me. Happy to share my experiences with it. It manifests itself in all sorts of different ways in different people though.

A funny example for me is that when I was a teenager, I couldn't go to sleep without getting out of bed, walking over to the light switch, and flipping the lights on and off 3 times. Every night. For years. lol

Last edited by Snowman; 11-08-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:12 AM
Brian

Quote:
Good point regarding the weekly/monthly auctions at AH’s these days.

The hassle with the auction houses, I’m looking for a 1961 Fleer Oscar Robertson for under $1K, the best eye appeal example that I can find. First, I have to go to my AH list and search REA, then search Heritage, then Memory Lane, etc. endlessly. I would expect that very few would have one of these in their auction. If they do, every auction ends on different weeks/months, etc. With ebay, I can jump on there and buy one BIN in five minutes. So, the AH hassle seems real to me. Believe me, I did the stay up all night thing to bid on AH items countless times over the years until a massive heart attack eventually. While I certainly do not blame that as the main reason why this happened to me, I’m sure all of the sleepless nights certainly weren’t a plus for my long-term health.

One of the reasons dealers will mark up a card's price and hold steady because they did all that work for you.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:43 AM

Travis - Hell of a 1961 Fleer set !!! Rakosi would be proud of you.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:53 AM

Some of the search engines on AH have me spending less time hunting around in their offerings and simply doing exact searches for highly desired stuff then exiting.

They're slow, they spit out way too many results, the searches actively choke on results because they're trying to return results in real-time as I'm typing letter-by-letter, the search results seem to be optimized for phones rather than computers creating too many pages of returns...etc.

Compound that with the sheer amount of weekly/monthly auctions and the my interest drops even more...
Old 11-09-2023, 08:40 AM
J0hn Collin$

Ebay and especially BIN's on nice vintage is usually a museum on a good day, and it's even worse now with the lag of the down market. I would agree that nicely centered cards at all grade levels continue to command a respectable premium. It's kind of like the economy as a whole lately - we've had some ups and downs but still haven't technically hit a recession. The market has softened in that lower grade raw or uglier for the grade graded might be reaching bargain status - but the really nice stuff continues to stay strong.

I'm lucky in that mild to moderate OC has never really bothered me, and I can pickup some deals because of that. (75/25 one way is fine, 90/10 probably not).

Down market from 2020, yes - but it would be almost impossible for it not to be. The fact that it's technically "down" doesn't suggest to me that it's in anyway unhealthy yet.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:43 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
As another recent example, I just won this 1963 Topps Mantle at auction on Sunday night. I had to pay $1600 to get it. "Comps" for a PSA 5 are ~$550. Set a new all-time high for the grade. You just can't find cards like this very often.
Super nice Mantle, congrats. I have an SGC 5 that on paper would be comparable to that, but of course it's OC top to bottom. It also probably cost about 30% of what you paid...

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-09-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:20 AM
Matt Goebel

Not to derail this thread, but the OCD thing is very interesting to me. While I do consider myself to be OCD it's not about centering but rather image quality, registration in particular. The Musial is a great example and is a particular favorite of mine (I have both variations) - but both the beautifully centered cards shown here would absolutely drive me crazy. Here is one of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SGC1948-49LeafMusial30.jpg (210.0 KB, 363 views)
Old 11-09-2023, 09:22 AM
Rhett Yeakley

I haven’t noticed a dip in my pre- or post-war vintage (pre-1980) sales over the past few years honestly. In fact those sales have increased (but i have been listing more often but the sell through rate is pretty much identical). I do not sell my higher end stuff via eBay though and I only really do BIN there. My target price range for ebay has always been $10-200 as that what moves.

Conversely, Ultra Modern has been significantly hurt.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-09-2023, 11:17 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Is this really a buyer’s market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmarcelle View Post
Not to derail this thread, but the OCD thing is very interesting to me. While I do consider myself to be OCD it's not about centering but rather image quality, registration in particular. The Musial is a great example and is a particular favorite of mine (I have both variations) - but both the beautifully centered cards shown here would absolutely drive me crazy. Here is one of mine:

Bravo, you beat me to this exact post. I'd much rather have an OC card with close to perfect print, color, and image quality than I would have a 50/50 dead nuts centered card with those problems. To me the image is the most important thing about a card, and the fact that it's not even expressly cared for in a universal grading system that only looks at corners, surface, edges and centering is increasingly ludicrous in a hobby that is supposed to be about visual appeal.

Beautiful Musial, btw. Some of my wins in the same vein which got me gorgeous print and picture despite other flaws include a '57 Mays, a '63 Mantle, a less than fantastically centered '73 Schmidt RC (I traded a better centered one with print snow for it...) - and this '59 Mantle which sorry, the grade on the flip might not be noteworthy - but I would challenge you to find even some PSA 7's or 8's with print as clean as this one has. Even high grade copies often have something with print going on in the red background, or print messed up in some way in the stands behind his head. Extremely pleased w/ this one...

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-09-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:23 AM
Jeremy

John, I agree 100%. Image quality -color, registration, lack of print defects - above all else. My Willie Mays rookie may be off-center, but it is extremely hard to find a copy with printing this clean:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_Mays_Rookie.jpg (165.8 KB, 322 views)
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars