NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2023, 03:13 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Default Boston Sports Collector’s Show This Weekend

Boston Show This Weekend - Shriner’s Auditorium Wilmington, MA

Friday 12:00 - 7:00
Saturday 8:00 - 5:00
Sunday 9:00 - 3:00

Tables 63 & 64

Mostly photos, autographs, some post war graded, a few graded tobacco, a lot of interesting one of a kind pieces.

Stop by and say hello.

Randy Hartsoe
Old 11-02-2023, 10:01 PM
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Boston Show This Weekend - Shriner’s Auditorium Wilmington, MA

Friday 12:00 - 7:00
Saturday 8:00 - 5:00
Sunday 9:00 - 3:00

Tables 63 & 64

Mostly photos, autographs, some post war graded, a few graded tobacco, a lot of interesting one of a kind pieces.

Stop by and say hello.

Randy Hartsoe
I’ll be there on Saturday! I’ll definitely stop by. Super excited for the show. It’s my absolute favorite.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:25 AM
Ed Hans

Ed Hans and Tom Boblitt are at tables 155 and 156, in the back near the snack bar. Stop by and say hello.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:36 PM

GBSCC show at Shriners Auditorium in Wilmington Mass was amazing and well worth it. Lots of modern and equally quality vintage pre and post war, as well as memorabilia, much at respectable prices IMHO. Many choices of playing days Wagner, Ruth, Cobb, Mathewson, Johnson, Mays, Jackie, tons of T206, around a dozen 52 Topps Mick, all the greats! Can walk the floor in about 2-3 hours and then deep dive chat and make deals with very friendly sellers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0742.jpg (203.0 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0736.jpg (199.9 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0734.jpg (202.1 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0737.jpg (209.0 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0733.jpg (199.4 KB, 523 views)
Old 11-03-2023, 05:41 PM
Phil Garry

Kind of looks like the last Philly and next to last Chantilly shows that I attended. For those that have been to all three, was it pretty much the same w/same dealers? Anything/anyone amazing that was not at those other two shows? I’m sure if you looked hard enough, you could find a vintage card there at someone’s table that was valued under $1K. Must have just been these four pics that make it appear like there wasn’t a one.

I hear that Strongsville might be better than any of those. Is that correct?

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-03-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:44 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
GBSCC show at Shriners Auditorium in Wilmington Mass was amazing and well worth it. Lots of modern and equally quality vintage pre and post war, as well as memorabilia, much at respectable prices IMHO. Many choices of playing days Wagner, Ruth, Cobb, Mathewson, Johnson, Mays, Jackie, tons of T206, around a dozen 52 Topps Mick, all the greats! Can walk the floor in about 2-3 hours and then deep dive chat and make deals with very friendly sellers.
From the prices on the 52 Mantles, it looks like that dealer hasn't read the thread on prices of them coming down.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:32 PM
J@son Per1

Was there for 3 hours this afternoon. Yeah it’s not the National but it’s the best show we get in the greater Boston area every year. Lots of great stuff out there. Overall some dealers are adjusting their prices in what feels like a soft market. Others are still crazy high and out of touch with reality. One thing I heard from a local dealer is that they are charging more than ever for a table.

Also worth noting they increased the admission price from $10 to $15. That has to have at least some impact on the turnout.

Anyhoo it was a blast to be there. 3 hours isn’t enough. Wish I could go back but family obligations are not permitting. One other thing is that I wish it was a rule for dealers to list their prices on most of their merchandise. And none of this “take 50% off the price tag” nonsense. Hey pal 50% off those prices is still a massive ripoff.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:34 PM
J@son Per1

One other thing — the snack bar at this pace is really solid. Decent food and the women running the kitchen and register are always very friendly and welcoming.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:12 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I'm here!

Booth #34 against the stage in the back of the room. Tons of fresh to market vintage - all 4 sports + sports - raw and graded.

Regarding the question about this show being similar to Philly or Chantilly, while some of the larger regional/national dealers and auction houses are at all 3 sows, there are a large number of table holders at this show that I do not see at either of the aforementioned shows.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:20 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
Ed Hans and Tom Boblitt are at tables 155 and 156, in the back near the snack bar. Stop by and say hello.
Hey Ed - nice to meet both you and Tom today, albeit briefly!
Scott
Old 11-04-2023, 03:28 AM

Default Increase in Auction Houses present

Went to the show for 2.5 hours yesterday. One of the longest lines to get in that I have ever seen, but it vanished as soon as the doors opened.

My first impression was that there was a significant decrease in prewar vintage dealers and a huge increase in Auction Houses present.

If table prices have jumped that might explan the big drop in vintage but it's a trend that has been going on for years. No shortage of new shiny dealers. Also noticed some of the larger dealers who had vintage seemed to have less than previous years.

Enjoyed chatting with Ed and finally meeting Tom in person for the first time.

Patrick
Old 11-04-2023, 06:28 AM
Drew W@i$e

This is a big autograph show as well correct? How are the lines for the autographs?

Last edited by parkplace33; 11-04-2023 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:13 AM
Steven Sadler

John Liffmann and I are set up at our usual spot, tables 113/115. Stop by and say hello.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:21 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
Was there for 3 hours this afternoon. Yeah it’s not the National but it’s the best show we get in the greater Boston area every year. Lots of great stuff out there. Overall some dealers are adjusting their prices in what feels like a soft market. Others are still crazy high and out of touch with reality. One thing I heard from a local dealer is that they are charging more than ever for a table.

Also worth noting they increased the admission price from $10 to $15. That has to have at least some impact on the turnout.

Anyhoo it was a blast to be there. 3 hours isn’t enough. Wish I could go back but family obligations are not permitting. One other thing is that I wish it was a rule for dealers to list their prices on most of their merchandise. And none of this “take 50% off the price tag” nonsense. Hey pal 50% off those prices is still a massive ripoff.

I thought the same thing yesterday! I wouldn't prohibit it but after a quick glance at his sticker prices, I just walked on by...
Old 11-04-2023, 07:56 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
From the prices on the 52 Mantles, it looks like that dealer hasn't read the thread on prices of them coming down.
Must be frantic sales at those levels, since you just ask more for them next week!

Dealers similar to him are buying up many Aaron's and mantles hoping prices increase. I saw about 30 different 1954 Aaron's posted.

Also, the unpriced table pic must be memory lane. Don't even ask prices signed gehrig et al

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 11-04-2023 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:30 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Must be frantic sales at those levels, since you just ask more for them next week!

Dealers similar to him are buying up many Aaron's and mantles hoping prices increase. I saw about 30 different 1954 Aaron's posted.

Also, the unpriced table pic must be memory lane. Don't even ask prices signed gehrig et al
Was thinking the same thing....that 53 Mantle SGC 7 in that dealers showcase was just purchased in PWCC two weeks ago for 21k as high bid...if Seller was high bidder why does he think someone is willing to now pay 30k for idk.

I’m thinking many dealers with still super high prices put themselves in great financial position during the pandemic with sales that they don’t care if they sell now or not. They’re gonna get their number or hold, made enough over the past 3 years to hold them over in this downturn.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:11 AM
J@son Per1

Managed to bulk up some of my Red Sox needs at this show. Obviously not a great location to find cheap Sox cards, but some decent deals to be had. A few shout outs. James Ryan / JP Sports Collectables. This is a real solid outfit and usually my first stop when I go to Wilmington. They are paradise for set collectors. Best selection and prices hands down and the two guys running it are both cool and down to earth. I always find a few topps minis to upgrade with these guys and on this trip I even picked off a 51 Topps Red Dom DiMaggio, first 51 topps I ever owned (and prolly the last lol).

From there, I grabbed a nicely centered 53 Topps Roy Campanella SGC 1 for a real fair price from National Card Investors. They had a bunch of vintage slabs next to Ted Woo who also has great merch. Both of these guys are around the market with their pricing. Anyway I dumped my Campy 6 and bought this 1 for less than 20% of the price and it’s better centered, crazy nice for a 1.

I grabbed a few 60s Sox items, a 52 bowman Sox common and then got a random 34-36 Goudey Sox common that I probably overpaid a bit for but the dealer was great and he had a lot of relatively obscure pre war stuff so I was able to get a Sox representative in some odd ball set.

I almost made a deal for a SGC 5 ‘55 Topps Jackie but we were off on negotiations by $50. No regrets at all about holding my ground. This card is far from scarce and I’ll have many opportunities to find one with that rich color that is so important to the eye appeal of this great card. It was a civil exchange anyhow.

Last purchase was sort of an impulse buy. A 1939 Playball Doc Cramer autographed and PSA authenticated. Not an autograph collector but it was a chance to add a new wrinkle for my Sox collection. Cramer’s autograph is fabulous and I strongly prefer autographed cards without a facsimile auto to begin with and this card checks all the boxes. Btw Cramer had 2,705 hits in his long decent career.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:31 AM
J@son Per1

Some pics.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:15 AM
Jim B.

I have been going to this show for nearly 30 years, and this was the least crowded I have ever seen it (Saturday morning). The downturn in the economy is definitely hitting. Prices were in the stratosphere for the most part. Usually the lines would be 5 deep just to get up to see a table, yesterday morning I strolled around the show with my son with barely anyone blocking my table views. In the past there would be lines for SGC drop off submissions. I just walked up and sat down at 1 of the empty stations and did my submission. The big draw on Saturday was autograph guest Julian Edelman. If he wasn't there, I wonder how small the crowd would have been. I've been taking my son to the show since he was 3 (2002) and we always have a great time.

Last edited by BabyRuth; 11-05-2023 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:28 AM
Fred

See the top picture in post 4. Add up the $$ for the cards at the very top row of the picture. It's over a quarter million dollars.

Add up the $$ for all the cards in the picture, it's over half a million dollars.

Does anybody bring this type of cash to shows?

Let's make a deal...
Old 11-05-2023, 07:48 AM

There were definitely some big deals going down day 1. I observed a $36K exchange for a 52 Topps Mick upgrade. If you do your research, go with a plan, have laser focus, and create win-wins you can make it an amazing experience and outcome.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:00 AM
Scott

I was supposed to go up today, but the car rental fell through, due to enterprises BS ID policy. Still PO'd
Old 11-06-2023, 12:44 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I was there all three days and had a really fun show. On Friday that line to get in the door was insane! Met a lot of great collectors and dealers this weekend and was able to knock out a number of bucket list cards - 1965 Topps Roberto Clemente, Pete Rose and Sandy Koufax and a 1951 Topps Yogi Berra. One thing that annoyed me was the lighting and that guy (whoever he was) kept eating the microphone on the PA) but the show was fun and a ton of vintage - you still had to look around and haggle for prices. Honestly though I was so immersed in scoping out cards that a UFO could have landed right next to me and I wouldn't have known. Great show hope to see everyone next year!
Old 11-07-2023, 02:52 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
I have been going to this show for nearly 30 years, and this was the least crowded I have ever seen it (Saturday morning). The downturn in the economy is definitely hitting. Prices were in the stratosphere for the most part. Usually the lines would be 5 deep just to get up to see a table, yesterday morning I strolled around the show with my son with barely anyone blocking my table views. In the past there would be lines for SGC drop off submissions. I just walked up and sat down at 1 of the empty stations and did my submission. The big draw on Saturday was autograph guest Julian Edelman. If he wasn't there, I wonder how small the crowd would have been. I've been taking my son to the show since he was 3 (2002) and we always have a great time.
I read the same thing from two patrons about how the crowds were very thin at the show.

It will be interesting to see how things are at the next big shows before the end of the year.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:32 PM
Phil Garry

That seems to be the trend at least over the last 30, 60 days pretty much all over the country. I have heard the same thing about the last Dallas show, last Chantilly show, last Jacksonville show down here in FL and this Shriner’s show. However, except for Jacksonville, these are all still major shows with thousands of attendees at each over the weekends so dealers still getting plenty of opportunities to make sales/money.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:30 PM
Jeff Weisenberg

Default Shriners GBSCC

I have been set up at this show for years, 252-254 are my tables (National Card Investors). I first want to thank Kutcher55 for the shout out on the Campy 1. My tables were very busy and I had a tremendous show. If you set up and price your merch correctly you will sell it. This is not a museum, it is a card show. I want to thank the numerous collecors for their purchases. There were many new customers. The hobby may be softening and prices correcting slightly but people are still spending their money on cards and memorabilia.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:05 PM
Don Hontz

Default Boston Show

I usually don't comment on shows, but I will on the Shriners Show--Yes, the foot traffic was down--but not bad--Collectors and Dealers are slower to pull the trigger--Something funny happened on this show (a 3 day show) Sunday was my best day in years--Usually always the slowest day--I have done the Shriners show from its inception--I think around 1987--I believe there are 5 of us left from the 1st show (Yes, I am old)--I thought I would not hit my goal for the show but Sunday put me well over I sold a PC796 Cobb/Wagner --Goudey Ruth--Babe Ruth Check-Gehrig Exhibit--41 Playball DiMaggio and cards from the 50's and 60's---My T206 cards were slow as where my T3's and CJ's which are pricey and more geared for the National. But overall I was pleased with the show. Always Great to see Friends and Dealers. Still a Wonderful Hobby (Business)--See you at the next show. Don
Old 11-07-2023, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I usually don't comment on shows, but I will on the Shriners Show--Yes, the foot traffic was down--but not bad--Collectors and Dealers are slower to pull the trigger--Something funny happened on this show (a 3 day show) Sunday was my best day in years--Usually always the slowest day--I have done the Shriners show from its inception--I think around 1987--I believe there are 5 of us left from the 1st show (Yes, I am old)--I thought I would not hit my goal for the show but Sunday put me well over I sold a PC796 Cobb/Wagner --Goudey Ruth--Babe Ruth Check-Gehrig Exhibit--41 Playball DiMaggio and cards from the 50's and 60's---My T206 cards were slow as where my T3's and CJ's which are pricey and more geared for the National. But overall I was pleased with the show. Always Great to see Friends and Dealers. Still a Wonderful Hobby (Business)--See you at the next show. Don
Don-it was great to meet you in person after frequenting your namesake card shop in Portland decades ago. I’m thrilled you did great at the show, you had some wonderful pieces. It was my 1st time attending and I got a lot out of it (the chicken in the GF wrap was delicious a close 2nd to trading up for a dream card ).

Last edited by brunswickreeves; 11-07-2023 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:35 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Boston Sports Collector’s Show This Weekend

The GBSCC show is one of my favorites. As others have observed, the foot traffic may have been a little light compared to prior years. Sales were good; not great. It was a pleasure to have Tom with me and getting to meet new folks and reconnect with old friends.

The food is hands down the best at any show I've ever attended.

Best part for me is getting to spend some time with my grandsons in Framingham.