NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Dave

Jim...now "its fine to talk about abortion and punk rock...just do it in another thread" What??? What was your original post all about then?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Dan Bretta

For Steve...and other ZZ Top fans

Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Dan -

Glad to bring back (hopefully) good memories for you.

My memories aren't so good. When I was born, I was so ugly, the doctor slapped my mother. (The great Rodney Dangerfield)

Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jim, you have broken my irony meter at least three times in this thread....stop it.

It is you who are the one with your condescension insulting people on this board all the time. You reap what you sow.

Now you owe me $12.98 for the repair bill. Where can I send it?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: JimCrandell

Dave,

You obviously did not read what I said--I objected to taking serious posts and turning them into something else like punk rock or what Dan and Barry are attempting to do here.

Barry,

Fine--why not do it in a post dedicated to rock bands or whatever.

Jim

Old 02-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: dennis

pat boone rocks!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: leon

I didn't personally attack you. Please show me where I did, in this thread. I only completely disagreed with what you said. You are welcome to your opininon and I am welcome to mine. Like I said before...Bruce brings it on himself. I don't hate you or Bruce...but some of the things ya'll say rub me, and other armpit collectors, the wrong way. Here's the deal. I want you to stay. I want Bruce to stay. If ya'll are going to stay you might want to think about what this board is about...it's about cards, friendships, and having fun... Probably in that order and that is how I try to manage it....Unfortunately, in believing in that, I manage it 67% the way you don't agree with. warm regards

Old 02-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Dylan

As people talk and get to know eachother on the forum people will talk about other things that may not be on point to the original subject. But really if people just wanted to talk about baseball cards they'ed choose to ignore all OT posts. But people don't because they enjoy other topics to talk about now and then here too. I see no harm in that. Leons not running a school here, its a casual forum where people come do come to educate themselves, but also have fun too. Mosts posts seem to stay on point and on the subject of vintage baseball. Unless posting on non related issues got totally out of hand, i see it as a non issue.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Where did this punk rock thing come from? The Kinks aren't punk rock. About as pure British Invasion as it gets.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Steve f

Wow, that video is still smokin' Thanks Dan... The Pat Boone album cover is disturbing though. Can that be deleted?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Joann

Wow. I just ran across this thread for the first time and read all 132 breathtaking posts in one sitting. What a blast! lolol

1) Barry hit it right on the head. This is a community. It's not like some other boards with huge and sometimes transient poster populations. People tend to be here more reliably and continuously, and it's only natural that eventually natural personalities and non-card thoughts will come out. The occasional crazy-a$$ off topic threads are the outlet for that.

2) So if someone's primary goal is seriousness, and not fun, then no one else should have fun? Huh? Please stop all levity immediately. This is a hobby. Let's be freaking (@tbob) serious here!

3) This thread has so many layers and levels of irony it's impossible to keep count.

4) Finally - to Bruce always, and Jim occasionally, that want to hold themselves out as being more important than the rest: Whatever Trevor.

Joann

Edited to add: Better yet. The thread went from 132 to 160 posts just while I was typing the above. haha. Leon - if you want to protect the NYC thread as all-time bizaare and dysfunctional, you'd better step in quickly. This one is about to give it a serious run for it's money.

Oh and one-hit wonders: Signs by Five Man Electrical Band

Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Here's a hint for Jim to avoiding the OT posts - if it reaches 100 posts in an hour you may want to avoid it. If it slowly builds to that point like Ted's T206 EPDG post you are safe to enter.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Leon,

I never said I was leaving--you have not attacked me here --but you are always throwing in barbs against be imo to try to be the buddy of Scott and the "armpit collectors".

And why is it wrong that a board can exist to debate and discuss serious hobby issues rather than punk rock.

Jim

Old 02-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jim your serious topic -cleaning up the hobby is a good topic. IMO it's going to be nearly impossible and is on the same level as World Peace, but hey thanks for trying and continuing to try.

You take yourself too seriously though...and you come off as VERY arrogant even though I have first hand accounts that you are a very nice person -in person. If you can't join in on the occasional fun here and continue with your tone you are not going to make any headway in what you are trying to achieve.

Anyway good luck to you and your efforts they are commendable.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: barrysloate

Thanks Joann- I owe you one.

I'm going to get a beer and will be back shortly. I need a buzz to keep up with this breakneck pace.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

I just got done playing that video five times. What did I miss?.. Dan is there a way to make these play clearer or in hi-resolution? Just missing some of the details.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Steve M

I have never heard of any of the rock groups mentioned in this thread or others. I must be too old for this crowd.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: ScottIngold

What the F**K is an "armpit collectors" ?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: T206Collector

Now I've seen everything -- a reference to Pulp's "Common People" on Network54 vintage baseball card forum? Wow! For those of you in the not know, Common People was, perhaps, the quintessential British song of the 1990's. It is a must listen. Love that tune and that band. You should check out Jarvis Cocker's solo album, which was just released.

I would probably have to say Depeche Mode's single version of Strangelove is my favorite song, though it is really hard to tell. Music For The Masses is my favorite DM album, but Black Celebration and Violator rank close seconds. But I really like Suede about as much as DM. Dunno... too many great songs to choose from.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

What would be considered O/T in a thread entitled "Stream of Consciousness?"

Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Kenneth is on to something. Why can't we have one thread where friends just shoot the breeze with each other? And I think we should thank Dan Bretta for finding all this wonderful music (I would ask for a few more, but they will be on my back like flies on...).

Jim- part of being able to bring people together is having a little charisma, and being a little more laid back. I don't know you too well but you seem a little tense, and perhaps that will work against you in getting a united front here. On one hand you are trying to bring us all together for a common cause- and a worthwhile one at that- but I don't think you are going about it right. And I must add that I found you very pleasant at our meeting but somehow it doesn't translate when you are posting.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Colt McClelland

Jim,

Since these "serious" issues are so important to you, why don't you start your own board? You could be the moderator and call it the "Serious and Important Baseball Card Collectors Only" Board. You could even create an application process for membership, so that the people you don't like can't post there. I think a lot of the people here would be relieved to finally be rid of you.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Chad

I love 80's and 90's Brit and Scottish pop and, luckily for me, my girlfriend is junky and has all the CD's. I think she'd leave me for Stewart Murdock or Thom Yorke, but other than that, I'm safe.

--Chad

Old 02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Colt,

Why don't you post one thing of value in your posts here so people can say Colt-at least he had one worthwhile thing to say.

Sorry--Colt--they are all laughing at the "dealer apologist"-ha ha ha.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

What is an ARMPIT COLLECTOR?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Barry,

Perhaps--if someone else wants to lead--be my guest. I could care less what you and others post about Barry--just do it on separate threads so those of us that want to discuss serious issues in the hobby can and those who could care less if their cards are altered can talk about punk rock.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jim...the easier thing to do since yourself and Bruce get irritated...just start a thread for the two of you...or three of you....seems like that may solve everything

Old 02-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Dave,

Seems to me threads I am involved in get a lot of serious responses.

Start your own threads on punk rock. This is a vintage card board.

Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jim,

Why don't you take your comb-over and your polyester suit and go home and play with all of your PSA 8 Topps cards and leave the pre-war stuff to the experts here. You are like a fish out of water on this board.

Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: leon

A while back Jim C referred to high grade slab collectors (or something to that effect) as the backbone of the hobby. Since then a few others, and myself, have avowed that we are armpit collectors, in retaliation.....Since we don't collect high grade slabs we must be armpit collectors....

Old 02-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

My definition:

1) A collector of baseball (and perhaps other sports)cards, not necessarily investable pieces with high snob appeal

2) An owner of a collection where enjoyment is obtained without it being so high-end that you have to put on a tux to look at it

Old 02-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Colt,

Do you know anything about cards?

Or do you spend your whole life sucking up to dealers?

Old 02-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Better to be a armpit collector than a buttcrack collector...confuscious say

Old 02-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jim...pay attention. I haven't said one single word about punk rock, soft rock, classic rock, or nursery rhymes as far as thats concerned.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jim,

I don't know much about high grade Topps cards, but I know more about pre-war cards than you could ever hope to know.

What's your problem anyway - does it stem from being the last guy picked at kickball as a child, or not having a date to the prom or what?

Old 02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Colt is the guy who started attacking me out of the blue because I politely asked a number of auction houses about their policies on restoration of cards. Now he has the nickname in the hobby as the "dealer apologist" which is quite appropriate.

Attack on Colt and live up to your nickname.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: E, Daniel

Wow, I get to agree with every post that tries to explain to Jim why the 'extras' are worth it, and then I have to listen to some pompous a#@ play the bully on the playground and run Jim off.
Thought we were past that with lessened appearances of J.Behrens, but clearly some can't help themselves and think THEY should be the artbiter of who gets to play.
Why don't you listen to your own advice Colt? Jumping on the kid everyone else is laying into hardly makes you a man in this town.

And thems my fighting words.

Daniel

Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Rich Klein

That Bruce's post, after the brief detour, returned to the serious discussion about cards; so that thread got back on gear. Meanwhile, we all enjoyed a few minutes as a sidebar.

Jim, one of my favorite writers is David Halberstram and if you ever read his books; the best aspect is that he writes side-bars as a way to help with the historical aspects; just think of Ray Davies as a historical aspect of Bruce's post

Regards
Rich

Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

I think we are all ready for a time out.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Daniel,

Maybe we all will be lucky and this Colt guy will just disappear.

Edted to spell disappear correctly.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Thanks Barry, agreed. I have to potty again.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Barry,
Time out sounds good, let's go get another beer, or some Hennigans...

Be well Brian

Old 02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Sean

Here is my favorite YouTube baseball card video...

Sean BH
Sorted for E's and Wizz

Old 02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: S Gross

"Wiskey ain't my friend no more,
Ever since I crashed head long thru the door,
Ever since I woke up naked on that motel floor,
Wiskey ain't my friend no more."

-- The Train Wrecks (great Sav. Americana band)

Old 02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

I'll be in my corner replaying my new ZZTop video -fantasy in low resolution

Old 02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jim,

You threw the first stone with your "dealer apologist" bs. If you can't take it, then don't dish it out.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Jason L

This is amazing!
I just got back from a 2 hour meeting, and I missed 100 posts and 8 film or song clips!!! (and no doubt missing another 10 posts while I write this)

Now THIS is starting to feel more like family!

Next contest: How many posts will this thread go before Leon locks it?
I say 237

Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

237 will happen before 4EST

Old 02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Colt,

Not true. I never heard of you before until I asked the 5 auction houses to post their policies and you jumped all over me and haven't stopped since.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: joe brennan

Jeff ,BTW, I got your Francis inuendo. Stripes.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.