NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2003, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Default I might have been hijacked.

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I received notice from ebay that my account was supended. This is the message I received:

Dear eBay User,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to login into your eBay
account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that
your account has been hijacked by a third party without your
authorization.

In order to protect your sensitive information or unauthorized listings we temporarily suspended your account for further investigations. To reactivate your account, click on the link below and confirm your identity by completing the secure form that will appear.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual
login attempts may have been initiated by you.

Take our apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thank you

eBay Account Theft Prevention
http://cgi3.ebay.com//aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?VerifyIdentity&ssPageName=

The log in attempt was made from:

IP address: 205.188.209.166

ISP host: cache-dq04.proxy.aol.com

I would like to know about the IP address and the ISP, I have no clue how you guys check these. Is it possible this is another scam. My accoount is working when I wrote this.

Lee

Old 12-06-2003, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Lee,

It looks like a scam. Don't fill out any of the forms that are linked from the email.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Lee:

Not sure if you already done this, but ebay can tell you whether you have a probelem or not:

"To report email requesting account information that you suspect was not sent by eBay send us the email with the complete message text and full header or forward the entire message to spoof@ebay.com using the forward function of your email program. When forwarding the message, do not change the subject line, send additional text, or forward the message as an attachment. Forwarding the message in this manner will allow us to review the message headers and any other information that may be attached to the email."

This ebay page has a lot more detail.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-spoof.html

Kevin

Old 12-06-2003, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Lee,
It's a scam, I got the same email 5 times last week, as well as a new Paypal scam email. Just remember the Golden Rule...... Ebay will never ask for your confidential info in an email or link. Same goes for Paypal. These crooks aren't going away anytime soon, so only login on the official secure site. Be well Brian

Old 12-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I received this same msg about a month ago. Like all of these scams, it gives a link which is disguised as a legitimate ebay link, but which instead pops up a scammer's web-site which asks for all the info they need to hi-jack your account. I always go to the web-site and log in as something like "BITEME" with an equally rude password - all this info gets written to their files.

But when in doubt, ignore the emails. If ebay really planned on shutting you down, you would know it.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:09 AM
Administrator

I sent it to Spoof and it came back as a scam. The strange thing is when I click on the link it comes up ebays home page. It sounds like a different link they you guys are getting.

Thanks for the help

Lee

Old 12-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M

it's not a copy of eBay's home page?

Old 12-06-2003, 10:31 AM
Administrator

It comes up different this morning, either ebay's page with an input error or a site that will not come up. I have no ideawhat it is doing but I changed my password again.

Lee

Old 12-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M

Old 12-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

For Lee's peace of mind, I will repeat what others have on this thread: This email is just a scam and does not indicate that you have been hijacked. The email is trying to scarce you in order get you to give up your password, etc-- if you sent them your info, then you might get hijacked.

Rule of thumb: if you have questions or need to change/verify important info, don't follow any email links-- as they are often fake and send you do bogus sites. Go directly to the eBay site (typing in 'www.ebay.com' in your web browser) and check your status there. Once you are on the real eBay site, everything can be checked out ... This rule of thumb applies to all important sites when you are about to use sensitive information: credit card, paypal, credit card etc.

Also, the fake emails often say you have to act immediatly (right now!) or your site will be suspended. Real organizations don't act this way and give you due time to react. For example, if your credit card date on record is actually in error, eBay or PayPal or your internet server will give you a reasonable amount of time to correct it (say, a couple of days, at the least). So there is almost never a situation where you have to go and do something with your sensitive information this very second or something horrible will happen right away. There is always time to sit back, assess the situation, check into the situation and ask questions of others in order to make sure things are on the up and up. Never unduly rush when it involves your personal information.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Administrator

While I'm on the point and some readers may not be familiar with the subject, I will add to useful practices that will help prevent hijacks, stealing of stuff, etc.

1) Use different passwords for different sites. This means that if someone steals your eBay password, they don't automatically have the password to you internet server, paypal, Mastronet, etc.

2) Don't use simple or obvious passwords ('mypassword,' 'billy', 'abc123' etc). If you can, use numbers and symbols, etc. The more complicated, obscure your password, the harder to steal.

3) Change your passwords with some regularity. I'm not saying change them every Tuesday, but after a period of time (8 months, a year), note that it may be time to go through and change passwords.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Administrator

One very last thing:

If you suddenly have fear that you did something stupid with your information or fear your there's something fishy about your eBay site, go directly to www.eBay.com on your browser and change your password right away. This way, the old password is automatically obsolete and of no use to anyone who may have it and, as already noted, it's good practice to change passwords regularly anyway.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Lee (and the rest of the board): it's very easy to spot an ebay or aol scam: if the address that either sent you the email or the address where you're supposed to send your info does not begin with aol or ebay right after the www, it's a scam. Simple as that.