NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 07-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Taking a family getaway to New O'leans

Taking the family to New O'leans soon and while I know I can google and find stuff out, would like to get a few folks views who might know the area and where to stay? We like nice accommodations but like historic stuff while doing so. We will probably make this hotel our base for 2-4 days then go somewhere else for a day or three. Thanks much....
Old 07-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Taking the family to New O'leans soon and while I know I can google and find stuff out, would like to get a few folks views who might know the area and where to stay? We like nice accommodations but like historic stuff while doing so. We will probably make this hotel our base for 2-4 days then go somewhere else for a day or three. Thanks much....

I have been known to frequent the blackjack tables downtown at Harrah's and am a big supporter of the Hilton just across the street. Nice rooms, some look over the river which has a bunch of commercial shippers going in and out. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Quarter and close to the trolleys as well. That would be my recommendation.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Leon

If you haven't been to Galveston, I highly recommend this City. Check it out on your way to New Orleans, or when you are returning home.

There are lots of interesting things to see or do in Galveston. And, some very fine Restaurants.

I'm a Railroad buff, and they have a great Railroad museum.

TED Z
Old 07-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Sam Lemoine

I grew up in New Orleans, and I go home at least every couple of years. One out of the way place you might want to check out is a restaurant called Middendorf's. It is in Manchak, which is basically a plot of dirt in the middle of Lake Ponchartrain about a half hour out of town. The restaurant has been there for about 80 years and the catfish is as good as it gets. Plus, the prices are not like the expensive places in New Orleans.

For accommodations, you might want to consider Metairie. It is a suburb, but it is a lot cheaper. Plus, New Orleans is so small that you can drive from a Metairie hotel to the French Quarter (or anywhere else) in fifteen minutes or so. Avoid anything on the east side of New Orleans. Hit or miss there.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Nawlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
I have been known to frequent the blackjack tables downtown at Harrah's and am a big supporter of the Hilton just across the street. Nice rooms, some look over the river which has a bunch of commercial shippers going in and out. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Quarter and close to the trolleys as well. That would be my recommendation.
+100 TennisGuy

The Hilton is a good place to camp due to its proximity to the Quarter, Harrah's , the Riverwalk and the most important part...their lobby houses my favorite restaurant in the planet, Drago's!
The Charbroiled Oysters are not to be missed! Do not miss them. Don't.

Emeril's original place is a 10 minute walk too, although that is nice...I agree with Sam that aside from Drago's, I would eat at some of the more localized mom-pop places rather than the pricey famous ones. The food in that city is unreal.

I am tempted to fly there every winter to simply eat my way around town. I lived in NOLA in 1981-82 as a young , single , imbibing guy. I went back a few years ago as a wiser (and wider) married man who loves Cajun, low country food

Go get'em Leon!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Leon

If you haven't been to Galveston, I highly recommend this City. Check it out on your way to New Orleans, or when you are returning home.

There are lots of interesting things to see or do in Galveston. And, some very fine Restaurants.

I'm a Railroad buff, and they have a great Railroad museum.

TED Z
Hey Ted
I lived in Clear Lake City, a hop skip and a jump from Galveston, for several years growing up and am originally from Houston. I am sure I have been to Galveston hundreds of times but not in the last 20+ yrs. Not a bad suggestion.

And thanks for the other comments too, guys. I have to admit though with what has gone on just down the road from us in Dallas (we are a suburb to the north) it is making us pause about going a lot of places. I am sure we will go but it's kind of crazy out there sometimes.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Katrina

My wife and I usually avoid tours and touristy stuff, but we took the Katrina tour and it was very interesting.

I don't know when you are traveling, but you might be able to get to a card show.

BBCM,BHK,BSCM
Jul 31 2016 Sun 09AM-03PM
Jul 30 2016 Sat 09AM-06PM
Hal Odom
Phone:318-771-0514

30 TablesFree Entry
Venue : Bossier Civic Center
620 Benton Rd
Bossier City, Louisiana
Zip:71111
Magazine for
BBCM,BHK,BSCM
Aug 06 2016 Sat 09AM-05PM
Roland Belcher
Phone:504-231-5390

30 Tables$1
Venue : Ramada Inn-Metairie
3400 S. I-10 Service Rd
Metairie, Louisiana
Zip:70001
Filters:

I have been to the Metaire show a few times and there are a couple good vintage dealers. Unless LSU football is going on then the best vintage guy goes to the game.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey Rick
Thanks for the suggestions. I subject my family to way too much card stuff already so I doubt I take in a show or shop. Katrina tour does sound interesting as tragic as the event was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
My wife and I usually avoid tours and touristy stuff, but we took the Katrina tour and it was very interesting.

I don't know when you are traveling, but you might be able to get to a card show.

BBCM,BHK,BSCM
Jul 31 2016 Sun 09AM-03PM
Jul 30 2016 Sat 09AM-06PM
Hal Odom
Phone:318-771-0514

30 TablesFree Entry
Venue : Bossier Civic Center
620 Benton Rd
Bossier City, Louisiana
Zip:71111
Magazine for
BBCM,BHK,BSCM
Aug 06 2016 Sat 09AM-05PM
Roland Belcher
Phone:504-231-5390

30 Tables$1
Venue : Ramada Inn-Metairie
3400 S. I-10 Service Rd
Metairie, Louisiana
Zip:70001
Filters:

I have been to the Metaire show a few times and there are a couple good vintage dealers. Unless LSU football is going on then the best vintage guy goes to the game.

Rick
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 AM
Bill Gregory

Hope you guys have fun in N'Awlins. Just be real careful.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:23 AM
ThreadKiller

Talking N'awlins.

Leon:

have a great trip...looking forward to hearing about your potential (epic!) Tango Eggs find upon your return.

safe travels, Dear Leader.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:48 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Make sure to visit Café Du Monde. Bring your sledgehammer - you never know what they used to insulate their walls!
Old 07-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Well guys, I had my mouth watering for some Creole and Cajun food, which is one of my favorites of anything, and the wife and kid changed our plans. We are now going to Destin FL, the beach, and then to Atlanta GA.....I will just Google it. It was a good thought ...thanks a lot of the responses. I hope ya'll understand.. I am really just going along for the ride so didn't care that much about "where" we go as long as we go ....carry on...
Old 07-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Mark Medlin

Hit AJ's on the beach for a cocktail or three. Dinner at fisherman's wharf. Good times fishing out of destin, went there a couple times a year for a decade when we lived in ATL
Old 07-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Nick Barnes

I live about 70 miles from NOLA, and visit frequently.

for food, hit up Coop's Place on Decateur street, (and get either the fried chicken or the rabbit and tasso ham jambalya)

for finer fare, Cochon is amazing, reasonably priced for what you get, and one of the best joints in town.

The aquarium of the americas is a fine touristy spot in town, as is the zoo (but the zoo is too hot this time of year)