NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-03-2017, 11:53 AM

Default Ideas for Storing Ephemera (Stubs, Postcards, etc.) in Binders

I have an assortment of vintage ticket stubs, stadium postcards, pocket schedules, etc. for each MLB team. Right now, they're in stacks or in individual sleeves. Ideally, I'd like to organize them by team (not by item type) and somehow put them inside clear archival pages in one or more binders. Because the items are of varying sizes, I can't just put them in pages with pockets. I've thought of using clear adhesive corners to attach multiple items of varying sizes to acid-free paper or stiffer board backing inserted into one-pocket sheets, but I'd not be able to see the backs of the items.

If anyone has any alternative ideas -- particularly with photo examples -- please share. Thanks much.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Rob

I have many binders containing the types of ephemera you mention. I just use an assortment of single sleeves, two pocket, three pocket, four pocket, six pocket and nine pocket sleeves.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I have many binders containing the types of ephemera you mention. I just use an assortment of single sleeves, two pocket, three pocket, four pocket, six pocket and nine pocket sleeves.
That would work except I'd prefer to have items of different sizes on the same page for a particular team. For instance, combining a couple of full tickets, a stub or two, a pocket schedule, and a postcard. A mix that would be similar to that for each team.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:28 PM

I use scrapbooks with corner squares- if it's something really condition sensitive a put in a sleeve and mount the sleeve with double sided tape- for backs I make a nice color copy and mount right underneath
Old 11-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Steve Birmingham

I do the photo corners thing, and often try to add some information if what makes the item special isn't quite clear - and in my collection that's pretty common.

Here's a postcard I chanced into at the stamp show, the card is on the front of the page, and the front of it is pictured on the back along with what looks like the photo the card was made from, and another pic from a boardmember.

I print the pages on acid free cardstock, and archival clear photo corners, which are getting hard to find in stores but easy to order online. Then into page protectors - Ultra pro are nice, but in an odd twist most office supply page protectors are made from archival materials. Nicer stuff gets "nicer" pages

Just be aware that this takes up a lot more space than stacking stuff, even if the stuff is in toploaders. When I did this with some of my stamps I went from 4-5 packed pages to about 1 1/2 two inch binders.

There are pages that fit tall cards that are nice for most tickets.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

A lot of my other stuff is in magazine or comic book bags and backing boards in comic style boxes. Some of the better stuff is getting transitioned onto the custom pages, but I'm being slow about it.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the responses and the great ideas. I like the idea of mounting individual sleeves, with various sizes as needed, using double-sided tape. And I could cut up multi-pocket pages to produce individual sleeves. For some items, I could use the corners.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Chris Counts

For years I've searched for the perfect solution to protect and display oddball items, and this part summer, I found it. There's a company called Vario that makes pages to display stamp-related items. They come in a dizzying array of sizes, and the pages are way sturdier than the ones designed for cards, so they can hold things with some weight too them, like programs. I bought them from this guy on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/benchez100/...53.m2749.l2654

Last edited by Chris Counts; 11-03-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:03 PM

Here are some pages from one of my scrapbooks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3023.jpg (72.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3024.jpg (71.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3025.jpg (70.5 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3026.jpg (73.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3027.jpg (74.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:57 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Why not use individual sleeves, and affix the sleeves themselves with double (or single) sided tape to a clear sheet rather than the archival paper in your scrapbook? That would allow you to see the actual backs.

While definitely better than most scrapbooking options, I'm a little leery of the corner mounts due to the number of photos I've handled with crimped corners after long years of storage in them. Definitely better than being glued to that standard black scrapbook paper, but they do still have potential to cause damage. This may be more of an issue of overloading the scrapbook, and could probably be pressed out, but I would lean towards mounting methods that do not bear directly on the item or result in uneven pressure on it for long-term storage.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 11-05-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Lots of creative ideas. I appreciate them all.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:22 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
While definitely better than most scrapbooking options, I'm a little leery of the corner mounts due to the number of photos I've handled with crimped corners after long years of storage in them. Definitely better than being glued to that standard black scrapbook paper, but they do still have potential to cause damage.
This, and the paper corners can also stain the cards if they are held in the album for many years. There certainly are polypropylene corners out there and those would solve that issue. Plus, I believe the polypropylene variety are more flat than the paper corners and virtually invisible.