NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Tom Swift

Default Just Got Cards Back From SGC

I just got eleven cards back from SGC and overall it was a good experience.

I received nice grades on a Colgan's Chips Evers, finally got my Red Sun Perdue graded (have owned for ten years), a few T206's a E90C Donahue came in at VG/EX and a T3. Overall a good experience first time sending in cards for grading.

However, a few problems. I sent in a 1915 Cracker Jack Max Carey that I bought off ebay about seven years ago. I bought it as a PRO9 NM and took it out of the holder a few years ago. It must have been trimmed as the card looks mint. I only got a SGC A. Bummer but better than counterfeit. I would never buy a PRO graded card. I have seen a few (they are always high grades) go off ebay for high dollars in the last four months. In fact, mine was graded as a 1914 Cracker Jack by PRO.

Also, I bought an ungraded Old Judge off Ebay about six months ago and they returned it unslabbed because they could not verify if it was real. I did not save the invoice and ebay does not allow me to go back that far to contact the seller. I may try to get into Paypal. I would be willing to send this card to an Old Judge expert on this board for their opinion and pay return postage.

Thanks for the help.

Eliminator
Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Joe M.

Can you post a picture of the OJ? Someone might be able to tell you something from the picture.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Tom Swift

i'll get a photo of front and back up by tommorrow night for any comments.
thanks
tom
Old 02-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Frank Wakefield

Have you illuminated the OJ with uv light?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Fred

Does the OJ say something about Royers Confectioner on the back?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 AM

go to your paypal account, I just discovered it had items that I had bid on or won going back well over a year that were archived.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Tom Swift

Thanks for the reponses.

I don't believe I have a UV light. What does a UV light show?

Second, yes the back of the card references Royer Confectioner. I can't read everything on the back- it appears to be stamped with an ink stamper and reads:

Jon R. Royer
Confectioner
88 W. King St.
Lancaster, PA.

The front says Old Judge in the upper right corner and Goodwin & Co., New York on the bottom. Some of the letters on the front are too small and faint to read. The card appears to be old and appears to have had shellac or varnish applied to the front. It's slightly curled and the varnish has cracks in it.

I have attempted to upload a front and back photo so hopefully it shows up.

Again, thanks for the help and look forward to any additional comments on the card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0731.JPG (39.6 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0734.JPG (37.5 KB, 293 views)

Last edited by eliminator; 02-15-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 PM

I have one of those also. Question of what on earth it really is. Some here believe they are fake. I look it as a curiosity mainly.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Fred

Those cards are just a little undersized. The first time I saw one I suspected it to be an older reprint of sorts. I think there's a thread in the archives that addresses these and someone actually researched the Royer Confectioner business to see when it was doing business at the address identified on the back of the card. Good luck finding that thread.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Banned

http://www.net54baseball.com/search.php?searchid=273205

Here are all the threads with the term "royer" in it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Tom Swift

Default OJ

It appears to be old. I am going to try and do some research on it and post what I find.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

I'm holding my breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Tom Swift

Just read through the archives. At minimum, they have an interesting history even if they were just reproductions by Royer to promote his business.

It appears it would be difficult to pinpoint the exact age or history of who made the reproductions for Royer or if he made them himself. If it could be documented that he made and used them to promote his business during that period I find them to be an interesting part of baseball card history. If they were made during the period of 1885 to 1910 when the historical society can last document the existence of his business at the W. King Street location I agree the cards are an interesting novelty. And the fact that Mr. Hershey worked for him is also fascinating.

I guess I will keep it in my collection as an interesting novelty and try to do some additional research on them.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Joe M.

I would say just because of the size they are some type of reproductions. I don't think any OJ collectors would want them. Just my opinion.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13