NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Default Annoucement of a new Auction Company

Posted By: scott brockelman

I am posting this to the board as a formal annoucement of what we hope will be a very enjoyable new auction venue for all of the collectors of vintage cards.

Scott Brockelman and Leon Luckey have joined together to form a new sports card auction company known as Brockelman & Luckey Auctions. Both being longtime hobbyists have noticed that collectors are increasingly becoming frustrated with higher buyers premiums in online auctions, higher ebay/paypal fees and a general distrust in the sports collectible auction area. We are therefore starting an auction for collectors, ran by collectors.

Our auctions will have one of the lowest buyers premiums inthe hobby at 12 1/2%. Further we will have a 0% percent sellers commission on any lot realizing over $500. We will also keep shipping costs as close to actual cost as possible. The auctions will be internet based using a state of the art protected bidder system, assuring buyers and sellers of safety and nontampering of bids. Our goal is to keep our costs down and let the buyer and seller enjoy the savings. More information can be found at the website www.b-lauctions.com.

The first auction is scheduled to begin May 19th and end June 12th 2008. We are now taking consignments for this innaugural event. You may reach Leon at 214-282-4943 or leon@b-lauctions.com or myself at 817-688-9499 or scott@b-lauctions.com. We are seeking all type of prewar cards, sports and non-sports and will also be happy to sell 1950 thru 1970 cards of higher grade or rarity, singles or entire collections.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I very much appreciate the undertaking as ebay has many problems. Can we openly discuss the +/- of this new auction company as we would if it was not co-founded by our board owner?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Scott and Leon,
Wishing you all the best in this very important endeavor!!!

Barry

Old 03-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

We are open to critique as anyone else would be, we are going to be as open as possible and handle everything in a professional manner.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

As long as you are not anonymously throwing jabs (and you aren't) this is as much of a subject as anything else. Scott and I put a lot of thought into this. For the record Net54 will not have anymore advertising on it for our auction as any other advertiser. I am sure there will be a banner in the rotation and sometimes a static one....just like other companies. Scott had to run after he posted this and asked if it was ok to post now. We both laughed as I was telling him he might not want to leave right away. It was sort of like throwing rocks at a window and running.....The only thing that will change is our tagline...as we have taken out the word "sophisticated". Quite honesly we don't care if you are or not. We'll have a cold one with any collector........regards

edited typo

Old 03-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

I am back and can answer any questions that anyone may have.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Here's a clickable link to the auction

http://www.b-lauctions.com/

Is this a cards only auction or will you guys delve into photos and memorabilia too?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Leon and Scott-

Curious as to what will be your initial base of customers? Will you be doing a catalog mail out? If so to what extent, net54 community or part of it?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Wanted to add, I think the criteria especially for a consigner is trying to figure out what kind of buyer's base the auction company has...that was really what the question was meant as. Obviously you want your consignments to be seen by thousands and not 150 collectors.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Will your company be auctioning any of the important "ultra high grade pre-War baseball cards"?

We hear there's good money in those.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

I am sure there are some people that will say anything for any reason but here are current numbers for folks (IP's) viewing Net54 for the first 2.35 months of this year.....Just say everyone has 2 computers and cut the number in half it still comes out to a quite a few. Also as we say on the site we will be advertising in Old Cardboard and other places but some things aren't finalized yet....

January......10,160
February.....11,014
March.........3,717

Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator

We will have essentially the same bidder base as any other auction. We have access to a very large bidder list for mass emailing of the auctions. Coupled with the various ads that will also be ran prior to the auction I doubt any serious collector will not be aware of the auctions. I imagine when the lots are all hammered in the first auction that the participants will be nearly identical to any other auction.

There will be no catalogue sent out. This is essentially an internet auction. There will be a printable catalogue available online. The main reason for this is cost. As noted in a thread a few weeks ago most collectors would rather have a lower buyers premium and no catalogue.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

I would suggest not angling this as an ebay alternative - the fact that you are validating the items and the bidders means you are in the "major auction house" space; not to mention the 12.5-17.5% of fees is 2-3 times the ebay/Paypal fees.

Will there be any printed advertising? Will there be any way to post an absentee bid via fax/phone? I find it difficult to swallow that your bidder base will be the same as other major auction houses since I imagine there are a chunk of collector's who don't have internet comfort.

I don't mind if it's only 85% of the bidder base, but I'm not sure about the claim that it will be the same as companies who provide those things.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

Just received this email:

"Thank you. You have completed your registration at
Brockelman & Luckey Auctions.

Please note, even though your registration is complete,
you will not be able to bid until we approve your
registration. Notification of your credit approval
will be made by email in as timely a manner as possible.
Feel free to contact us if it takes longer than 72 hours."

What does credit approval mean?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

No catalogues being mailed out? So what you're saying is that my catalogue has been "lost" in the mail before I've even criticized your venture?

Will you promise not to use a spoon anywhere near the cards (except when eating ice cream)?

Will you promise that no animals have been harmed in this venture?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator

That is a computer generated response. Essentially there is no "credit approval" it just allows us to review bidders and potentially avoid any problems.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Good luck with this guys. i am looking forward to your first auction.
JimB
P.S. My only advice would be to make an auction catalog. If it is only 50-100 lots, then it is probably not necessary, but when it gets big, searching online becomes a drag and things get missed.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

We see this as a very viable alternative to collector that would like to sell some cards but does not want to use ebay for any number of reasons. If you were to list and item on ebay, pay the final value fees and accept paypal you will have paid them nearly 10% of your sales price, and this does not include packing it and shipping it. SOme folks just don't want to sell on ebay and need another option.

By using our auction you pay no consigment fee if the item sells for over $500 and only 5% if it sells under $500. Granted there is a 12 1/2% buyer premium to be figured in, however I think you see that our venue and concept will make each item realize more than the buyers premium difference and the seller has done nothing but send the itme to us and we do the rest.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator

UhOh, then I'm in trouble.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

All the best, guys!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Jeff, I suppose one can be banned from something that doesn't yet exist, but I doubt you're on the pre-formation ban list for this venture.

Good luck to Leon and Scott. This might actually be an auction I'll participate in.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

A new auction house? That's news to me.

Not really, I already knew about this venture. A little bit of friendly rivalry, but I wish Scott and Leon the best of luck. I am sure they will go through a few growing pains like any start-up business, but in a very short time they will be going great guns. They both deal in a ton of rare cards so this does seem like a natural venture for them.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Good luck with your new venture fellas.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

Best of Luck to the both of you! Looking forward too seeing your first auction in May!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

good luck guys.

i do have a question.....is this the beginning of the end of the free BST?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

The BST and the whole Net54 board is staying the exact same...for better or worse .....

Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I asked this question all the way at the top of the thread, but it didn't get answered so I'm trying again:

Is this a cards only venture or will you guys be auctioning photos and memorabilia too?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

NO, this has no bearing on anything happening on the board. You guys and gals will still be buying/selling/talking about vintage cards 24/7.

We are just offering another sales venue for the folks that would like to get as much as possible for their cards, but may not want to use ebay or may not have high enough valued items for other auctions. AND of course there will be those that just like us enough to use our auctions

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Let's see some great stuff posted!

Question: are the consignments insured while in your possession?

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Sorry, I have been typing and not reading I guess. Primarily it will be card related. We would certainly be willing to offer memorablia as there is still a growing market for that as well. On memorabilia we will be fairly stringent on certification and provenance.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Short answer is "Yes"..we will accept things other than cards....On our consignment info page it says:

"Any other sports cards, and non-sports cards, that are Pre-WWII will also fit well into our customer base. Our auctions will specialize in cards that collectors are looking for, whether they are high grade rarities or total population rarities. We are also interested in all vintage sports memorabilia as our clients have varied collecting interests. Please call anytime for a personal consultation."

With that being said I wouldn't be looking for a lot of autographs without some good provenance or really good LOA's......

edited to say Scott and I posted at the same time...I promised Scott I would let him do the talking....I will squirrel back into my cubby hole....sorry about that....just trying to help

Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Siegel

Congrats on the new venture. FYI we have always had a 12% Buyer's Premium for our auctions so you may want to change that vantage point.

Thanks,

Josh Siegel
Fusco Auctions

Old 03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Josh - what is your consignment fee?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the input. We also realized that Lew Lipset still has a 10% buyers premium as well, although I am unsure of his current consignment structure.

We will be amending our website as soon as possible to "one of the lowest buyers premiums in the hobby" and not incorrectly identify ouselves "as the lowest".

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I wish Scott and Leon luck and great success.

As I have stated in the past... I think a catalog is an important part of an auction house's overall success (success in getting the highest bidding / success in marketing for consignments).... and besides business success - from a user's perspective - there is still no better way to view and enjoy an entire auction offering.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Matt, we use a variable scale from 0-15%. We deal with a lot of collections so we do not have one flat price because no collection is the same and some have more of a work load than others. Email me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Josh Siegel
Fusco Auctions

Old 03-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Spoken like a true capitalist.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Maybe I should raise ours!!! Best of luck I know you guys will de great.

Hey, You and Leon should set up at the Strongsville Show in a couple of weeks. It is a vintage geared show. We could put you by some of your competition!!!!

Best of Luck,

Josh

Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig W

Best wishes in your new venture - Capitalism rocks!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

I know you guys like the catalogue. However there is a major tradeoff here, without the cost of printing and mailing a catalogue we are able to offer very favorable terms to all parties involved.

And, as stated above, you will be able to print out a catalogue on your PC and brouse through it just like it came in the mail. Now I doubt those will become collectors items like a Copeland sale catalogue, but I hope the money passed on in savings will bring more bidding activity for the sellers and still allow the buyers to get items for less than they might have otherwise.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

best of luck guys...!

i do agree with Joe D...i really love having a physical catalog to flip-thru and save...i have tons of them on my bookshelf, they are amazing reference tools.

MS

Old 03-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Joe/Michael - we discussed this in a thread a few weeks back - we all enjoy catalogs; however, are you willing to pay an extra 10% for auction items/give up 10% of profits so that they can afford to print one?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Scott & Leon -

Mazel Tov on your endeavor. PLEASE issue FREE catalogs. The only thing better in life than an auction catalog is a FREE auction catalog.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Scott and Leon,

I was wondering when one of you guys would start your own auction. I'm sure your partnership will do very well', looking forward to viewing your 1st auction.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

A decent catalog can cost $7-20 dollars to create and print. They are very nice to have around, but can destroy your bottom line in a hurry, ulness you have a $50,000 budget for it. You cannot have low fees on both ends and produce fancy catalogs. I understand Scott's viewpoint.

-Josh

Old 03-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Scott and Leon are determined to drag me into the 21st century. I am going to give it a try, but will not buy a laptop. I think I will be OK everywhere except in the can and in the air. This is clearly a GREEN venture - lots of luck.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Will you take autographs with any LOA? Does the ink have to be dry?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

"Joe/Michael - we discussed this in a thread a few weeks back - we all enjoy catalogs; however, are you willing to pay an extra 10% for auction items/give up 10% of profits so that they can afford to print one?"

I disagree completely with your math and logic.

I contend that the cost of catalog is an investment that yields more bidding / higher results for the auction house and the consignors.

I contend that as a consignor you are already paying an extra %% in lost bidding.

I do not want to be a downer on this thread so I will stop there. I can be completely wrong. And of course - my opinion may be considered a biased one. For the record - I am not out for personal monetary gain by suggesting an auction house should have a catalog. I am just giving my honest opinion of its value.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

First of all, congratulations Leon (and Scott) and I look forward to the new venture. I like the anti-eBay sentiment as people have to find alternative ways to attract bidders. It's just getting plain too expensive nowadays and impossible if you are a consignment based company. A drop off here and town raised their already incredible high 35% fee to 40% based on the new price increased. As much as I enjoy catalogs, with percentages like that it would be hard to create much of a profit when all is said and done.

How will it effect the banner ads above as they are your competition now as well.

This Forum will be a nice vehicle to advertise, but you can you please tell me (us) you aren't going to support SCD, and if you do, can you at least put a link to the Morales thread in the print ad so the fifty people who still read it can get a fine chuckle?

DJ

Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Congrats to Leon & Scott. Sign me up !!

paulgx3@yahoo.com