NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2002, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Default Categorical Ebay Issues to explore (LONG)

Posted By: Brian Hodes

Ebay has apparently just created some new listing options that could complicate listing and viewing vintage items. To wit the "Rookies" designation under Baseball Cards now is divided chronologically and includes a "Pre 1950" grouping (sub-divided as both "graded" and "ungraded," of course).
Generally, I just zip through all of the "Pre-1950" grouping (really it should be pre-1948 or pre-WWII, because that's where the real dividing line is with cards). I look at both the graded and ungraded --although I unfortunately have been finding myself focusing more and more on the graded cards. Now with this new "pre 1950" category under "Rookies" I may have to go thorugh that category as well. It seems to me that most of us vintage collectors (i.e. pre-WWII/pre-Topps and Bowman) have some ideas about Rookies but are not really Rookie card collectors (we are more interested in particular sets (Old Judges, T206s, 33 Goudeys etc.) or just having ANY vintage card of some player (ANY Billy Hamilton or Jesse Burkett will do if we can even find one).
Now, if I want to buy or sell T-cards or Old Judges or whatever, is it really worth browing for them in (or listing them as) "Rookies: pre-1950" as well as the good old "Singles: Pre-1950 group ? What does everyone who has read this far -- and not gotten too confused -- think ??

Old 01-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

In the rookie section, I only found a pre 1980 and post 1980 section. Is this changing? In the pre 1980 section there was only 43 listings, of which only one would be of interest to people on this board (a t206 Speaker) which was also listed in pre 1950 singles. Given the small numbers, I don't think there is a problem. I don't think people who list cards that we are interested in, will list them in a pre 1980 category solely.

Old 01-19-2002, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Ebay has often made some odd catagory decisions, at least in my eyes. I didn't think much of the 'graded' verus 'non-graded,' but that's not a big deal because you can view them together. I agree that the Pre-1950 rookie designation might be inconvenient, and I also don't think too much about 'rookie card' in the Pre-WWII area. But in eBay's defense, they did consolodate the baseball autograph section to something I like (from Other, AL & NL to MLB).

Old 01-20-2002, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

They still need to find a way to not allow posting of "reprints". And some guy argued," but why?" "They are cards too!"

Old 01-20-2002, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I think they should have a reprint category with separate sub-categories for various sports (no years). Any card described as follows would be required to go in this category: reprint,copy,copy?,"is it real - you decide?",etc. Basically, if there is a seller-admitted question of authenticity, it goes in the reprint category.

I would also like to see ebay give one warning for such cards being put in the pre-1950 category, two strikes and they're out.

Old 01-20-2002, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I agree to a degree (a rhyme!) with the removing of reprints from the Pre-War cards area, and also with the setting up with reprints categories. However, I think most of us would grow to strongly dislike absolute rules if they were actually enforced. For example, I recently put a cut autograph of a T206 player in the Pre-War cards section. Also, I have put a Pre-War card coupled with the players signature in the Pre-War card area.

My opinion is that eBay should attempt to enforce copyright laws. There is no way that some Joe with a computer printer has the right to reprint Cobb's image for profit.

Old 01-20-2002, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

that I follow. sort of joking.