NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2002, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default National Card Show in June: Questions ...

Posted By: HalleyGator 

Guys and Gals:

Believe it or not, I have never been to a real baseball card show. They just don't ever seem to make it down here near Tallahassee, Florida. Plus, my wife won't let me run off and leave her with the kids while I go to "some dumb card show."

BUT ... she has a brother in Chicago that she has been wanting to go visit with our kids ... and Leon mentioned to me over the phone on Friday that the NATIONAL (Big Daddy) CARD SHOW is going to be in or near Chicago in June of 2002. MAYBE I CAN PULL THIS OFF!!!

Anybody and everybody PLEASE post information about the show, where, when, links, etc. Is there some organization that is "in charge" of this show that I can get details from??

Do I need to pre-register just to attend?? Is there a way to avoid standing in line to enter?? Do the sellers take American Express?? Does anyone trade?? Is there a lot of vintage stuff?? Will you guys and gals all be there??

Help! Thanks!!

Old 01-12-2002, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Was I right? Is it even in June??

Old 01-12-2002, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I have always felt the National Convention worked best in Chicago -- at least during the past 10 years or so.

Location: Donald E. Stephens Convention Center (Rosemont Convention Center)

Dates: August 5-11, 2002.

Information: http://thenational.net/index.cfm

Old 01-12-2002, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

hal, the national is in chicago, but a little later in the summer this year(the date always fluctuates) it is aug 5-11th but for all practical purposes the card show is the 8,9,10 & 11th. it is at the rosement convention center(donald stephens), right outside of o'hare airport.

there will be many vintage dealers there along with the high percentage of new product dealers and of course various old & new memorablilia dealers. the show is being scaled back a bit dealerwise so it won't be as big as in the past couple of years(which is good), you will need to allow at least 2 days to see it all and that's if you fly right by tables that are not of interest.

most dealers will take checks, and many take credit cards. as usual the larger dealers are more prone to be set up for that, while the smaller/part timers, may take cash only. a big fat wad of cash can also be a huge negotiating factor.

you can purchase a vip package directly thru the national office, go to http://www.thenational.net

they should have hotel accomodations online as well. if you need any more info feel free to email me.

scott

Old 01-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Guys! Hopefully I can make it work and get to meet all of you!

Old 01-12-2002, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

YES! Finally a National in my home town. Chicago is worth the trip and not just for the show. By August the Cubs will be heading for the playoffs and hopefully they will be in town that week.

I grew up in Chicago and if anyone needs any help finding hotel info., vacation spots, etc. feel free to e-mail me also. There are many nice hotels and places to eat in the convention area but you have to see the lake front.

I'm also hoping to get a group of chat board contributors together.

Old 01-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: effe

Sportsfest runs from June 13-16th and is being held at the same location as the National. It's a major show as well and at least in my opinion is well worth the time. So if you're stuck going in June, check it out.

Old 01-12-2002, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Sportsfest? They still have that show???

Old 01-12-2002, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

I'm also stuck in Miami, Florida when not travelling outside the US.
No major shows...
No Grading on site...

JL

Old 01-12-2002, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: effe

I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but here's the website...
http://www.collect.com/krause/shows.asp?catalog_name=Krause&category_name=Chicago+Sports+Fest&showid=CSF&Page=1&cookie%5Ftest=1

Old 01-13-2002, 05:46 AM
Administrator

I take it from you guys that I would rather go to the one in August, huh??

Old 01-13-2002, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Hey Halley,
I believe more folks will want to go to the Nationals than the other shows. I had a great time last year (my first one). Except for a few local shows it is the only one I will go to. With everything else in life/family I am "luckey" to get to go to it....hope to see you there.....best regards....ps I have already started making plans.....(come on economy don't fail me now)

Old 01-13-2002, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

This should be a blast - I've never been to anything more than a small local show, but I visit Chicago a lot and it is a great town - Best blues in the world and also great feeding!

Old 01-13-2002, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

i heard the National show is going to be in atlantic city in 2003,close to where i live so im waitig for that one,plus it will give me time to save up....Scott,does that mean youre going to the Nationals this year? seems like a long trip for you

Old 01-13-2002, 09:39 AM
Administrator

I have a buddy who lives downtown and I love hitting the blues bars. I used to work in Chicago about four months out of the year. Of course it's probably more enjoyable on an expense account...

Old 01-13-2002, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Chicago on an expense account. Sounds great!

I will be the first to admit Chicago is getting to be an expensive place to live or just to have a good time but it's worth it.

Old 01-13-2002, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've been to a LOT of major shows around the country, and there is nothing like the National. If you are going to go to the trouble of traveling to the show, make sure to buy the VIP package. Obviously, we don't care about the junk promos, but getting on to the floor without the massive lines and an hour early is well worth it. Since I am a SoCal, I went to the National in Anaheim all 3 times since 1990. I did the first two with regular tickets and it was sheer hell (especially that infamous 1991 show). I did the 2000 National on the VIP pass and it was great. I cruised into the show with literally no waiting.

If the economy rebounds AND the airlines clean up their act, I may do the National this year. Otherwise, I will probably content myself with the half-dozen moderate (200-300 table) shows that I can reach by car over a weekend on the West Coast.

Old 01-13-2002, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

Dealing with the airlines is the worst part of any trip- I'm driving. Anybody want a ride from L.A. feel free to come along-the national 2 years ago got me hooked, and with any luck the Cubs will be playing at home that weekend!

Old 01-13-2002, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Old 01-13-2002, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Willow Grove?
Not what I hear.

Old 01-15-2002, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< By August the Cubs will be heading for the playoffs and hopefully they will be in town that week. >>

They will be away during the National, but will return to play Houston on the 12th. Finally they have a decent 3-4-5 punch!

<< I'm also hoping to get a group of chat board contributors together. >>

I'm game. Any gamblers?