NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Todd Schultz

Default fake m101-5 Wheat gets by PSA

I was unaware PSA would knowingly holder a trimmed card and mark it as such, but they still blew it, for the card is not authentic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-M101-5-...item1c316166f9

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Rob

Default Grading

I think grading companies do the best they can for what it is. I only send in cards for grading that I want to sell. Half the time they mess up the series, not to mention the grade. It's not like McKee and Klein and Sloate are sitting over there at a desk waiting to expertly grade these cards. For $10 a card it's some college girl who has been brushed up on the general idea.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Matt Hall

Nice catch Todd, btw SGC and BVG both holder trimmed cards as well.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Rob

Matt,

I am not an expert on the m104 etc cards , but I do collect them some. I think when you see a space between the picture and the frame it's a fake.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:06 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Matt,

I am not an expert on the m104 etc cards , but I do collect them some. I think when you see a space between the picture and the frame it's a fake.
You are correct. There is a PSA graded fake Ruth in the detecting alterations and reprints section.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Todd Schultz

Default You are correct sir

That's right. A gap like that between frame and photo is the tell-tale sign. A real Wheat would show his entire throwing hand and arm with a very small space to the border.

I just didn't want anyone here to get burned by banking on PSA in this instance. I was also turned off by the auction title, for a "1916 m101-5 Sporting News Zach Wheat RC PSA 7", which is clearly false. The "card" is a reprint, is not a Sporting News (m101-5 never has a Sporting News back), is not his rookie card, and is not a PSA 7. Other than that he got it right; oh wait, since it's a reprint it is also neither an m101-5 nor from 1916. Guess he comes up empty on this one.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Yet another example of why people should buy the card and not the holder!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Kenny

Here are a couple of Wheats to compare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z m101-5 Famous and Barr.jpg (72.7 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg z D329 Weil Baking 188.jpg (74.6 KB, 286 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Ruben

Default Love this forum

Learned something new
Old 03-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Colby Neal-Tan

Default Maybe cracked case?

I'm just throwing this out there, but perhaps it used to be a real Hornsby then someone cracked the case open and resealed it with this fake? Or is that not even possible with that particular casing?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman7baseball View Post
I'm just throwing this out there, but perhaps it used to be a real Hornsby then someone cracked the case open and resealed it with this fake? Or is that not even possible with that particular casing?
It happens more often than you think. A former card shop owner in a town south of where I live was busted for taking real T206 Cobb cards out of their PSA cases and replacing them with printed copies he made
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Belltown Vintage

I think we're bashing PSA for a card that was holdered years ago, and that we've probably already complained about multiple times. Yes, it's a reprint, but unless an owner cracks it out we are probably going to see it here many more times over the years.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Todd Schultz

Why do you think this card was holdered years ago? I can tell you that I have followed these cards diligently for years and I have never seen this Wheat, so it is not a card that "we've probably already complained about multiple times".
Old 03-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

PSA should probably contact the owner to see if they can get it out of their holder. I will send them a message. From there it's their call. Obviously, if the holder hasn't been compromised, they made a mistake. And not to make light of it, It isn't the first or last mistake from any reputable grading company. If I were them, I would try to find out who personally graded it and give them some remedial training.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Daryl

The cert still checks out for this one: http://www.psacard.com/Cert/21267674/

I believe the cert for the Ruth that was mentioned does not.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Why do you think this card was holdered years ago? I can tell you that I have followed these cards diligently for years and I have never seen this Wheat, so it is not a card that "we've probably already complained about multiple times".
Todd, I wasn't taking a shot at you - I was going by the holder design, which I thought was an old one. If PSA is still holdering this same style of M101-5 reprint, then they certainly deserve to be complained about again.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Todd Schultz

No problems Scott. I really wasn't out to bash PSA either. There are so many of those threads over the years and I pretty much stay out of them (fish in a barrel)--PSA is what it is. I just wanted to point out the problem to those on the board who don't collect m101s but who might want to pick up one for type. This example would be a nice addition if it were real and available cheap. Following PSA's blessing in this case would be a mistake.

Personally, I wonder if the submitter deliberately asked that it be graded Authentic trimmed, although he indicates otherwise in his listing. That way maybe someone at PSA thought it was an honest guy not trying to put one over on them about the trim and just wanting it authenticated, and they didn't give it much of a look.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

We talked about these reprints so much in the past that they now stick out for most of us, like a sore thumb - and I don't even collect M101-5's and haven't seen one of these reprints since the old days.

Although all the grading companies make errors, there are a few reprints that should be on some sort of 'reprint' master list that PSA uses to train their new-hires. These really should never get through.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
We talked about these reprints so much in the past that they now stick out for most of us, like a sore thumb - and I don't even collect M101-5's and haven't seen one of these reprints since the old days.

Although all the grading companies make errors, there are a few reprints that should be on some sort of 'reprint' master list that PSA uses to train their new-hires. These really should never get through.
I agree 100%.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

Great point and idea, Scott!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48