NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Al Richter

Default Boardwalk & Baseball 1987

Has anyone else collected this set. It is a Topps co branded boxed set of 33 ( Topps logo is on back of the cards) and the set is check listed on the box. Fairly nice looking set and easy to put together, unless you try to include the variation of each card in the set. All the cards can be found with or without a slash line between the BBs in the logo on the front. The no slash versions are pretty scarce and more expensive than their common counterpart

Old 02-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Dylan

The bulk of the no slash variations found online recently have come from newly cut complete error set sheets (4 sets per, I think).

There are two other variations:

Faint slash (all other black ink properly printed on card)

Askew slash (slash is not in center of B & B but through one of them)

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 02-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Al Richter

Figures . I don't have any transition cards for my B&B sets but have a bunch as extras with my 82 Blackless set.

Do you have any examples of the B & B transition cards you can post

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-04-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Figures . I don't have any transition cards for my B&B sets but have a bunch as extras with my 82 Blackless set.

Do you have any examples of the B & B transition cards you can post
Not handy but I’ll try and post a pic if I can locate some of my old ones. I had 8-10 players with the faint (transparent/gray) line on front. I’m pretty sure Schmidt and Gary Carter were two I found with the line through the B on front instead of between them.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:34 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

The no slash are supposed to be rare but they have been all over ebay the last couple years.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:04 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
The no slash are supposed to be rare but they have been all over ebay the last couple years.
Because someone recently had uncut sheet(s) cut up. Four sets per sheet, if I recall.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:59 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I've had this variation for well over 20 years and when I saw that PSA was finally recognizing these with the No Slash notation, I thought I'd get my slabbed....

Last edited by roarfrom34; 06-13-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:13 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Agree with the recent prevalence because of the new intros to the marketplace. I remember paying somewhere around 60 due to rarity for my first Parrish. Now I am up to 4-5 just grabbing the ones that pop up cheap as the supply will likely dwindle again. I grabbed one for less than 10 on COMC not long ago.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:20 PM

Do we know for sure that the “no slash” version was issued in the box sets? I have had a Brett for a number of years and it was certainly cut from a sheet because it’s a two card panel. I don’t remember ever buying that box set back in 1987 so I don’t know much about the distribution of it. I had always just assumed that maybe the no slash versions were all cut from a sheet or potentially some kind of poster version that was issued and cut up. I have no foundation for that assumption other than, as all of you, seeing a lot of sheet cut cards available on eBay and owning one myself.

For what it’s worth, I have never seen a George Brett in the other two versions mentioned.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:05 PM
Curt

This is not about the cards themselves, but the amusement part of the same name, which is where the cards originated.

I joined the Navy in Nov 1987. I was sent to Orlando, FL for bootcamp. After I graduated sometime in late Jan/early Feb 1988, my parents came for the ceremony and a trip for themselves to do some sightseeing in the Florida area. They asked me what I wanted to do after being locked on the base for the last 8 weeks and I chose a trip to Boardwalk & Baseball. The park had just opened less than a year earlier (April 87).

I don't recall how I came to know about it, maybe my parents learned of it and told me about it, but I enjoyed the trip. I did buy the B&B card set directly from the park during my visit as well. I have a few souvenir photos from that day as well (I was wearing my dress blue uniform for some reason, because I think I recall I was not allowed to wear civilian clothes yet, even when out on my own with family).

I left Orlando and continued on with my life. Years later, I decided to look up the park and learn a little more about it. I was shocked to find that the park closed not long after I had made my visit (Jan 1990). There is something about that trip and my sentimentality that made me so glad that I chose that over Disneyland or something else. For what it was worth, I actually got to experience the park before it was gone forever. Now I wish I had taken more pictures!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardwalk_and_Baseball
Old 06-27-2020, 01:07 PM
Curt

I do recall someone posting images of a card with the slash in the wrong spot.
I want to say that not only was it not between the B's, but was higher on the card, inside the image area too. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
The bulk of the no slash variations found online recently have come from newly cut complete error set sheets (4 sets per, I think).

There are two other variations:

Faint slash (all other black ink properly printed on card)

Askew slash (slash is not in center of B & B but through one of them)