NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Collecting Reprints?

Not trying to be judgmental, and everyone on this board is into what they are into, but I just don't get collecting reprints. For example, there was a post last week about someone collecting the 1980 Exhibits reprints. Personally speaking, I would rather have one genuine Ruth Exhibit from 1928 than 500 Exhibit reprint cards from 1980. Again, not saying one view is better than the other. That's what makes the world go round as they say. Guess each of us collects things for different reasons. I love the idea of not knowing where my card has been for the last 90 years, bouncing around, and imagining who the first collector was. And understand people who are attracted to an era, team, or player that meant a lot to them at one point. But a whole set of cards just mimicing something rare? I just don't "get it".
Old 11-27-2015, 10:03 AM
pete ullman

i agree...but as you say to each their own. Everyone has different means...and desires...but I am of the same philosophy as you.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Ben North

I think reprints are great. It lets me own a card that I would never be able to afford if real. The same goes for entire vintage sets for me. I recently had a deal made to get several Bowman reprint sets and when the owner backed out of the completed deal I was as depressed that I did not get them as any real card I have missed out on.

I collect beater real cards so I guess reprints are not the big step down for me that it would for the people that hate them.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:44 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I think reprints are great. It lets me own a card that I would never be able to afford if real.
The only problem I see with the above statement is that your not really owning THE card.

I can buy a print of a Van Gogh but it will never be a Van Gogh. I am of the opinion I would rather admire from afar than have something fake in my possession.

Last edited by ksabet; 11-27-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
The only problem I see with the above statement is that your not really owning THE card.

I can buy a print of a Van Gogh but it will never be a Van Gogh. I am of the opinion I would rather admire from afar than have something fake in my possession.
LOL, I even own Van Gough art print. For me it is just a hobby and would not pay more than a few hundred for any card.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Bill Potter

What I don't get is having reprints GRADED! All over ebay are tons of reprint cards slabbed. WHY??? The slab is worth more than the card
Old 11-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
What I don't get is having reprints GRADED! All over ebay are tons of reprint cards slabbed. WHY??? The slab is worth more than the card
I have seen very few real cards that the slab was not worth more than the card in it.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Luke Lyon

This brings up another interesting question. Why do we need to OWN any of these cards? We can go online and see high quality scans of pretty much any card we'd like to look at. Why the need to be the owner of the item? I'm not as familiar with the art world, but I would imagine that an art connoisseur is content in looking at works of art and doesn't feel the need to own them (obviously some very wealthy people are able to do both).

I don't really know the answer to the question. My girlfriend and I have tried to pin it down without much success. She just chalks it up to me being a "weirdy"
Old 11-27-2015, 02:30 PM
pete ullman

If I were going to "buy" reprints"...I'd sooner make xerox copies of scans from the internet...or just collect scans. I'd rather collect scans than buy repro sh$t!

just my humble opine.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:30 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
If I were going to "buy" reprints"...I'd sooner make xerox copies of scans from the internet...or just collect scans. I'd rather collect scans than buy repro sh$t!

just my humble opine.
there are works of art that are essentially re-prints of the initial print that people pay big money on....plus there are second edition books worth money even though they are not first edition..

as for collecting reprint cards......I think there are several collectors out there are collecting reprint 1952 mantles, though they think they are original..but that still makes them a reprint collector..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-27-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:32 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
there are works of art that are essentially re-prints of the initial print that people pay big money on....plus there are second edition books worth money even though they are not first edition..

as for collecting reprint cards......I think there are several collectors out there are collecting reprint 1952 mantles, though they think they are original..but that still makes them a reprint collector..
Theres more to life than fake mantle rookies man! Its ok...let it go.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:39 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

man brought up a few points collecting reprint mantles (or can fill in Ruth or any waterside property if that makes you feel better) just making a point...

so substitute Ruth instead of Mantle....several of us are 'reprint' collectors....unfortunately..
Old 11-27-2015, 03:42 PM
pete ullman

there is a big difference between intentionally collecting/purchasing reprints and being duped into buying what you thinks is authentic that turns out to be fake.

like tens of thousands of dollars of difference.

do your homework peoples!
Old 11-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

I would agree that there are a lot of collectors out there with high end counterfeits of many different players in their collection that have no idea the cards are fake. They are after all just a mass produced picture on a piece of paper that with the right equipment are very easy to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
there is a big difference between intentionally collecting/purchasing reprints and being duped into buying what you thinks is authentic that turns out to be fake.

like tens of thousands of dollars of difference.

do your homework peoples!
Yes Pete a huge difference and the reason I like my reprints to look as close to real as possible but also have the word REPRINT easily noticeable on the card.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:26 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
This brings up another interesting question. Why do we need to OWN any of these cards? We can go online and see high quality scans of pretty much any card we'd like to look at. Why the need to be the owner of the item? I'm not as familiar with the art world, but I would imagine that an art connoisseur is content in looking at works of art and doesn't feel the need to own them (obviously some very wealthy people are able to do both).

I don't really know the answer to the question. My girlfriend and I have tried to pin it down without much success. She just chalks it up to me being a "weirdy"
For me, the answer is the smell and feel. I know that sounds like I am a weirdy, too (tell your girlfriend you are not alone). I collect 1950s and 1960s, and I love the smell of the old cardboard, and I love the feel of flipping through a stack of 1956 Topps or 1965 Topps for example. That is an experience you can't get from a scan. Also, that is why most of my cards tend to be ungraded. While I do own them now, I am not forever. Someday another weirdy will enjoy them. Cards also allow people of multiple income brackets to collect and own what they like and what allows them to revisit their childhood or an era of history they especially enjoy. The historical aspect also fits my description.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:30 PM

I'm sorry, but I have to collect reprints since I really can't afford many baseball cards in even poor grade.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to collect reprints since I really can't afford many baseball cards in even poor grade.
Friend, you don't need to apologize to anyone for collecting reprints because you cannot afford the real thing--even in lousy condition. I am in precisely the same boat, brother.

I was introduced to reprints by seeing a teenzie weenzie advertisement in THE SPORTING NEWS back in late 1971 or spring 1972 for a complete set of the 1933 DeLong Gum cards. Mike Aronstein put them out and the little 24-card set was a mighty mite addition to my small collection. They opened a large window on the world of early 1930s MLB and what a kid could have collected back then, if his town happened to be one that got those beautiful small cards.

Not long prior to the purchase of the reprint set, I had read a glorious article on those cards by none other than esteemed hobby pioneer, Lionel Carter. He was a young teenager in Colfax, Illinois and about to go see a movie. He had gone into some shop to buy a nickel candy bar to enjoy while watching a movie at the theater. However, he spied a box of some baseball picture cards. One card and a stick of gum for a penny. The wrappers were very colorful and enticing. Lionel changed his mind about the chocolate bar, and invested his nickel in five packs of the cards---the DeLong Gum cards! They were Lionel's first baseball cards, and the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Lionel always loved his DeLongs, and so when Mike Aronstein reprinted these in the early 1970s through his company, TCMA, and took out an ad, I was all ready and eager to buy them. What a treat, re-reading his beautifully expressed memories in that October 1971 issue of SPORT HOBBYIST, and looking at the reprints of the cards Mr. Carter wrote so lovingly about. The reprints were of the highest quality, too.

Thus, those reprints brought me a ton of joy and happiness for the small price I paid. Being a widow's son by then, I had to be very careful.

There's always gonna be some collectors who will chide other hobbyists for "wasting their money" on reprints, or on modern cards of long-retired and deceased players. Sure, I do have some originals remaining to my once pretty nice collection, and I have some modern "commemorative" cards of Mantle, Maris, Ruth, Cobb, Koufax, et al. I also enjoy the reprints I have. I'm selective, however. I want a nice reprint. The 51-52 Bowmans done by Richard Gelman's Card Collectors Company are terrific. Ditto their 1960 Home Run Derby. The latter would have been virtually impossible for me, were it not for Richard.

Originals are much better than reprints. I shan't argue the point. They do, however, offer 90% or more of the eye candy, and almost all of the imagination you would think of while looking at originals you owned. If destroyed, no big deal. If you die suddenly, no big deal, where the cards are concerned. No worries about whether they'll appreciate in value.

It's all about getting a taste of what the real thing was like, without any of the burdens of buying and owning the real thing.

Keep enjoying your reprints, bro. Have a good weekend.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 11-28-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:54 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I believe that '88 Donruss reprints are scarcer than the real deal.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Bill Potter

I bought the Fritsch Old Judge Reprint Set. They are clearly reprints with no tomfoolery and have player info on the back as well as being numbered. If I could afford 80 original OJ's instead of just 1 I would have that instead
Things like T206 though I would rather pick up low grade originals which can be had reasonably.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:46 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Collect what you want if you know what you are collecting.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:02 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Agreed with the notion of not understanding why one would collect reprints. Only under the circumstance of having a t206 Wagner etc. To go with the rest of the real t206s.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 11-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I believe that '88 Donruss reprints are scarcer than the real deal.
You need to be carful Frank, there are a lot of counterfeit 88 reprints