NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2015, 10:38 AM
Ken McMillan

Default Has anybody soaked postcards from a scrapbook?

Just a quick question with the couple of soaking threads. Has anyone soaked postcards from a scrapbook? I am referring to postcards from the early thirties and I am sure it depends upon the type of stock they are printed on. Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Sounds like a risky move. If they are scrapbooked they are likely postally used and the writing will most likely bleed. It's going to look worse than some glue remnants.

I also would not try soaking rppcs. Not a good chance on that either.

You could try steaming first just to see if you can get them loose or send them to an expert if it's a good money item.

If you know they are not written on and not a photo you can give it a shot with one you have no attachment to first?

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:37 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If the scrapbook paper is soft, you may be able to remove postcards without soaking. Being careful and slow of course. There would be spots of paper on back, but you can worry about that then. A lot of scrapbook and album paper is soft and brittle.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Ken McMillan

They are 4 in one postcard players that were cut apart and I got 20 players dirt cheap. Wanted to get the residue off to determine if they are from 1929 or 1931. Have a grand total of $15.87 invested so would be considered an experiment. Bought a lot of 18 W572 cards from the same seller and they soaked fine. This is my first foray into soaking so didnt know is the postcards would do as well as the W572 cards. The player pictures are also in different colors so that could change whole equation.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I would just pick the one I liked least and give it a shot with that investment.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I would just pick the one I liked least and give it a shot with that investment.
I think that will be the game plan and use cool water instead of warm water. Will see what I have when they arrive.

Kmac
Old 11-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

I bought a big batch of postcards that had a lot from the teens and 20's. Some had been wet, and separated, so the stack had a bunch of fronts with backs that used to be on them.

So I'm thinking they won't soak well.

One thing I've done is to wet the paper of the page from the back and gradually rub the paper off the glue in layers so the item I'm removing doesn't get much water on it at all.

Steve B
Old 11-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I bought a big batch of postcards that had a lot from the teens and 20's. Some had been wet, and separated, so the stack had a bunch of fronts with backs that used to be on them.

So I'm thinking they won't soak well.

One thing I've done is to wet the paper of the page from the back and gradually rub the paper off the glue in layers so the item I'm removing doesn't get much water on it at all.

Steve B
Interesting about the backs and fronts separating. I know this comment is not related to baseball cards but she has 1921-1923 E 123 actor and actress cards where the backs had separated off of the fronts and we didn't quite know why. This would explain that mystery

Below are the lot of exhibit players from the Esco 4 in one postcards. The backs have what appear to be old news clipping and scrapbook page residue just like the W572 cards I recently bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by kmac32; 11-01-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Ken McMillan

You can add 1929 ESCO 4 in one postcards to the list of things that can be soaked to remove scrapbook residue. The cards are thicker than normal postcards and some of the reds and other colors will bleed a little with no overall damage to the cards. Had no issue with bubbling or card stock peeling up so overall another success. Now to decipher all the fine print on the back of the cards which had no writing on them at all.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Mike Dugan

I have had great luck cutting around the postcard or in some cases old football programs and then slowly using a wet Q-tip on the scrapbook paper till a corner comes free.

I then just slowly wet the next little bit of paper and work my way through the piece. Takes time but seems to work on many glues and of course paste from 1900up to the 1960's.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Default soaking cards

in the mid 70's i did some baseball card hotel buying trips. we would often get scrapbook or notebooks with cards pasted in them, especially for some reason the 1930's era cards was the most likely decade to find these.

back then we would dump them in luke warm bathtub and usually they would have a paste similiar to elmers glue which was water soluble. just had to be careful not to soak to long or the card edges started to spread apart.

then we would press the cards with a screen, like a window screen, to let air circulate and simultaneously hold flat.

often their was very little or no obvious damage. sometimes, for instance, with the 33 goudeys you would get a little missing spot where the best adhered part of the glue was or fi the glue was particuarly tough the letters would get so damp, to get enough loosening from the scrap book, and the letters under that spot would be what you would call wobbly.

trying one to test was always best policy as to how to proceed.
i never did exhibit cards. never had any ink runs.

many collectors of today have a lot of 1930's era cards that were soaked in the 70's.

sometimes you could tell as the card will be a bit less flexible, ie stiffer, due to the wet, then dry process.

hope this helps.
all the best,
jsq

Last edited by jsq; 11-24-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
You can add 1929 ESCO 4 in one postcards to the list of things that can be soaked to remove scrapbook residue. The cards are thicker than normal postcards and some of the reds and other colors will bleed a little with no overall damage to the cards. Had no issue with bubbling or card stock peeling up so overall another success. Now to decipher all the fine print on the back of the cards which had no writing on them at all.
Thanks for the work and updates.