NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2019, 05:01 PM
J.B.

Default Another Cubs Mystery Item

I came across some more unusual Cubbie pictures. (Thanks again to all of the board members who helped me identify the 1904 Cubs spring training pics!!) This time player identification isn't the issue, it's the item itself that has me stumped...Hoping to get your opinions on just exactly what this may be ??

The players appear to be the entire pitching staff of the 1937 squad and one rookie back up catcher (Bottarini). The board itself measures 17.5" x 17.5" and is 1/16" thick. Each black circle measures 5.375" dia, and the photos are real & glued on. In some cases the photograph wasn't large enough to fill the full smaller circle diameter so the rest was airbrushed in (e.g. Bottarini, Lee, Shoun near shoulders) and I also noticed that both French & Bottarini had the cap "C"s hand painted on. Finally, their last name tags are cut outs that have been glued onto the photographs. Aside from each name written in pencil next to the circles there are a couple of curious numbers scribbled in the lower left and on the back. Sooo, what could it be ? A proof ? An kids art project ? A Cub coaching dart board used to pick the next pitcher ? Really value this boards opinions and welcome any questions to help determine a best guess !! THX, JB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Team1.jpg (18.8 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg Team2.jpg (15.7 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Team3.jpg (9.0 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg Team4.jpg (14.1 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg Team5.jpg (7.6 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Team6.jpg (7.5 KB, 277 views)
Old 03-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

That would be the original camera ready art for something.

possibly some pin set?

Or a group of stock pictures that maybe a newspaper or scorecard maker wanted to keep consistent?

Or for some sort of team composite, they wouldn't necessarily have used all the players, but might have made them all so they had them if they wanted them.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:42 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

This looks pretty close: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...coin-686283541

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 03-28-2019, 02:43 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

Another: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...oin-1732110284

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 03-28-2019, 05:46 PM
J.B.

Default Thank You !!!

Constantly amazed and impressed by the depth & breadth of knowledge on this board. My sincere gratitude and thanks to both Steve & Chris in helping me solve this mystery. The pin examples appear to be spot on and coupled with the 7/8" actual pin diameter matching the circled 7/8 on the piece I feel we have our match !! THANK YOU !! Now that you both have apparently set me on a path to becoming a pin collector, I'm curious if anyone can explain how the piece might have actually been used (process) to create the much smaller pin images ? My apologies in advance if this has already been discussed elsewhere on the board but if not (hopefully) it would be of interest to others as well? Again, very thankful Steve & Chris for the assist !! -JB
Old 03-28-2019, 09:12 PM
Scott Russell

Basically it was the mock up that they photographed to make the pins.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Scott has the short version.

The longer one is that the piece you have would have been photographed using a very large format camera. The one at the shop I worked for was built into the wall of a room, and could take negatives up to maybe 24x35 inches?

For pictures they'd use a screen in between the lens and film, to make the dot pattern (Halftone) The camera could be adjusted to make the image size whatever was needed - within reason.

those negatives were then used to make a "mask" basically a big negative made from multiple small ones, or possibly in this case, they just used the negative

Then they'd expose and develop the printing plate using the negative.

A few quick checks, to be sure it came out right, and it's off to the pressroom to be printed.

Eventually, they'd cut out the circles, and press the pins together.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:06 PM
J.B.

Default Sausage is made

Scott & Steve, thank you both for sharing your knowledge here. I certainly love most prewar issues and have always wondered just exactly how some of those iconic images made their way onto the finished product we all collect ! Having this piece in hand only piqued that curiosity more so again many, many thanks for helping educate a novice !