NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default Help finding T205 Joss Please!

Posted By: Tony

Hello, I am a college student and small time vintage card collector. I am desperately trying to find a T205 Gold Border Addie Joss. Given the extensive knowledge this board clearly has, I was wondering if anyone out there could help. I plan to go to the national collectors convention in Cleveland in July, is their any chance I might find one their? Any information that can be provided would be very appreciated. Thanks

Tony

Old 06-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Tony,

First off, this sort of inquiry belongs in the Buy-Sell-Trade thread, which you will see several threads down from the top one. I do have a t205 Joss that I will most likely hang onto, but you can email me at fisherboy7@hotmail.com to discuss anyways.

Old 06-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

You will DEFINITELY find a T205 Joss at the National. They aren't rare, but everyone wants one. It was one of our choices for the Card Hall of Fame this year, which I HOPE you will find a link to at the top of the page. Yes, click on "VINTAGE LINKS, then on "collector sites," and then scrolldown to "Card Hall of Fame". It was the "T" card chosen this year (there was also one "N" card, one "E" card and one "misacellaneous" card). I, too, want to hold on to mine, even though I don't collect T205s.

Myabe I should say that I paid over $700 for mine, which is vg-ex. They are, as I said, in great demand. But not rare.

Nice to hear you still have yours, Ben!

Old 06-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Administrator

I respectfully disagree Julie. After attempting the t205 set, I found Joss to be an extremely tough card to find, and they RARELY show up on ebay or otherwise. When one does show up, prices are vastly disproportionate to other t205 HOFers.

I believe the reason for the high prices is not only because of how tough they are to find relative to the rest of the set, but also because the back of the card has a wonderful little memorial writeup as well.

Old 06-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

I have tried to upgrade my T205 Joss for 3 years so I am always looking on ebaay, daily, for one and I have only seen 2 on ebay in the last 3 years. One was in exceptional condition and the other was horrible. It is the toughest card in the set to find (not including Hobby no stats). Maybe not the rarest but the toughest to find.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

You will probably find one at the National but you will pay dearly. I think Kit Young might still have one for sale and I thought Mike Wheat had one in one of his recent catalogs...

The reason (again, mostly conjecture) for the rarity is that it was one of the cards that was single printed and replaced in the later print runs due to his death and the need for other players to be pictured. He is also not found will all the different backs...I think he is only found with Piedmont, Polar Bear, and Cycle (could be wrong here though).

Tough card in decent condition.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Administrator

I have one! We had a thread on the t205 Joss before--discussing some detail of one particular card, and almost EVERYONE chimed in with "Well mine is---"

I KNOW they're in demand because of 1) the memorial and 2) the wonderfully expressive face. But I still maintain they're not rare, and our friend shouldn't have any trouble finding one at the National! It'll just cost him a bit more than list price, that's all.

Old 06-23-2004, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Joshua Levine has been collecting and studying t205's for years now, and his knowledge of the set probably far exceeds Steven Hawking's and Ron Jeremy's COMBINED knowledge of black holes and milky ways. Tbob is an ebay mastermind, a buying and selling machine. He sees the last 5 years of completed auction information in his mind as binary code, and can cross-reference and analyze every tidbit of that information simultaneously with the greatest of ease.

OK, so maybe I'm exaggerating ever so slightly , but the fact remains that the resident t205 experts, Joshua and Tbob, both say that the Joss is rare, or at least a very difficult card to acquire. I am inclined to agree with them.

I think the crux of this difference in opinion is that Joss is rare/tough in relation to the rest of the cards in the t205 set. But, when comparing it to a Yum Yum or an e107, a T205 Joss seems almost easy to acquire. Moral of the story: rarity is a relative term, and something like a t205 Joss is rare only in particulars context and not in others.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Administrator

never having really collected T205s. I knew I had found (and won) 2 T205 Josses on ebay (but admittedly in middle-to-lower grade), and remembered the thread in which most of the members of the Forum discussed their own--so I assumed they were fairly easy to find. They're probably hard, compared to other T205s, as Ben says, but not really rare, like a Texas Tommy or some 19th century issues.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I have been working on completing my T205 set for the last 2-3 years, and in that time have seen maybe 7-10 Joss's. The card I have yet to see is Suggs. I dont even think it even exists. I've seen countless of the other rarities...K. White, Barger, Wilhelm, Harmon, but never seen a Suggs yet. It's almost getting comical.

It will be neat to see what it goes for presuming one eventually pop's up.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

Ask and ye shall receive....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5105513742&rd=1

Old 06-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I actually have a few cards listed higher on rarity list than the Joss. Joss tend to come up a little more in auction than the others because I feel demand is more (In the last three years, I have seen the same Joss on ebay 3 seperate times).

Suggs is really really tough.

Old 07-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barb

theres a T205 on ebay now.